Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Signal boosting for increase range in US?

xell

Reaction score
So I live in the US but i also live in a populated area so the buildings and what not tend to limit my signal for the HDM and RC. Is there a way to boost my signal? Are there such things as signal relays that I can setup to extend my range?
I don't get anywhere NEAR the max of 10km :)

Hey Xell, you ought to try the 1200mW hack. Since you are in the US, you are already in FCC mode. By default, the maximum output power of the DJI FPV System is limited to 700mW if you are on FCC mode. With 1200mW you will gain roughly 30% more range, and it gives you better signal penetration. As of last check, this works for the V2 FPV goggles and I have this enabled for my FPV combo. However DJI will disable it soon. Till then enjoy it. So here is how to do the 1200mW hack:

• Create a .txt file, name it naco_pwr
  • Type pwr_2 inside the text file
  • Save and close
  • Copy naco_pwr.txt to an SD card
  • Power on Goggles and Air Unit, WAIT until you see image from camera
  • Put SD card in DJI goggles
  • Restart Goggles

Reactions: xell
Hey Xell, you ought to try the 1200mW hack. Since you are in the US, you are already in FCC mode. By default, the maximum output power of the DJI FPV System is limited to 700mW if you are on FCC mode. With 1200mW you will gain roughly 30% more range, and it gives you better signal penetration. As of last check, this works for the V2 FPV goggles and I have this enabled for my FPV combo. However DJI will disable it soon. Till then enjoy it. So here is how to do the 1200mW hack:

• Create a .txt file, name it naco_pwr
  • Type pwr_2 inside the text file
  • Save and close
  • Copy naco_pwr.txt to an SD card
  • Power on Goggles and Air Unit, WAIT until you see image from camera
  • Put SD card in DJI goggles
  • Restart Goggles
I'll have to try that tomorrow. thanks!

@b3yond Now thats impressive! I didn't realize that your app didn't just unlock the fcc but also applies the 1.4k mw mod. I was using DHCompanion app for my dji drone and it's just unlock the FCC to the standard power (700mw). Will give yours a try. Looking forward for the mobile app tho' as it will be handy on the field.

Doesn’t this need to get re-applied each time one is looking to fly?
Connecting your drone back to DJI Fly App will reset your DJI FPV Drone to default.

As long as you fly without smartphone, it doesn't need to get reapplied.

Doesn’t this need to get re-applied each time one is looking to fly?
Only need to be re-applied if you ever connect your DJI drone to DJI Fly app because it resets the hack/flag based on gps location (i.e. for sharing video to phone or firmware upgrade). Otherwise it'll stay there.

Only need to be re-applied if you ever connect your DJI drone to DJI Fly app because it resets the hack/flag based on gps location (i.e. for sharing video to phone or firmware upgrade). Otherwise it'll stay there.
Then I assume that using the txt file method is a more permanent method of unlocking this hack, yes? Or am in misunderstanding something?

Then I assume that using the txt file method is a more permanent method of unlocking this hack, yes? Or am in misunderstanding something?
The txt file method only works for Air-Unit mode, not DJI FPV drone mode.

Reactions: aSae
The txt file method only works for Air-Unit mode, not DJI FPV drone mode.
i am so new to this; I just got a DJI FPV drone. do you mind explaining what’s the difference between the two modes?

also I am already in FCC region. Do I need this hack?

And thanks for the hard work Beyond! I will use this and buy you guys coffee! :)

i am so new to this; I just got a DJI FPV drone. do you mind explaining what’s the difference between the two modes?

also I am already in FCC region. Do I need this hack?

And thanks for the hard work Beyond! I will use this and buy you guys coffee! :)
DJI FPV mode is for use with the DJI FPV drone. DJI FPV - Redefine Flying - DJI

Air-Unit Mode is for use with the DJI Air-Unit. DJI Digital HD FPV Air Unit or Caddx Vista. Caddx Nebula Pro Vista Kit 720p/120fps Low Latency HD Digital FPV System

You only need this if you want to unlock the full 1412mW. If you are satisfied with range and penetration, you don't need this.

I thought this only applied for people outside of the US and what not?
I am confused by this as well. Plus I feel kind of uneasy letting chrome manipulate software on my drone haha.

in any case, I’d assume that FCC region drones are capped at 1200mW and this opens it up to 1412mW? Something like that? Still I don’t see the point of letting some random web API manipulate the software of my drone if it is already near the top end of the power band. I would understand taking this risk if one was in a CE region.

I am confused by this as well. Plus I feel kind of uneasy letting chrome manipulate software on my drone haha.

in any case, I’d assume that FCC region drones are capped at 1200mW and this opens it up to 1412mW? Something like that? Still I don’t see the point of letting some random web API manipulate the software of my drone if it is already near the top end of the power band. I would understand taking this risk if one was in a CE region.
If i can see the code i guess I'll feel better? But really what harm can it do besides troll and crash your drone, i guess? it's not like any sensitive data is on the drone, right?

Hey xell, seeing as you live in a populated(ie. people and moving cars) area with buildings and what not, is it a good idea to be flying so far BVLOS? Is that really a good idea?
I'm not the drone police or anything but if something goes wrong won't your behavior make the FAA want to put tracking devices on my qwad and RC?
Oh wait...
Just go somewhere without people to fly long range

Hey xell, seeing as you live in a populated(ie. people and moving cars) area with buildings and what not, is it a good idea to be flying so far BVLOS? Is that really a good idea?
I'm not the drone police or anything but if something goes wrong won't your behavior make the FAA want to put tracking devices on my qwad and RC?
Oh wait...
Just go somewhere without people to fly long range
Yeah i dunno about all that. I mean i have a headset on so it's always out of my line of site. I have a "spotter" but really when you're in FPV mode you're your own spotter. I know where i am at at all times afterall. But I get ya. I want to have better signal penetration i guess is the issue. Even when i'm out in an unpopulated areas too many trees/hills/etc cause interference for that.

If they really wanna call on it I'll get a commercial license and setup my own LLC as a "drone delivery" service just to get past LOS legalities i guess.
#NeutralGoodAlignment

Reactions: Sayenah
If i can see the code i guess I'll feel better? But really what harm can it do besides troll and crash your drone, i guess? it's not like any sensitive data is on the drone, right?
Oh I agree. The developer did say that they are putting up their GitHub repository soon. I am sure they are fine; these guys are utilizing Chrome’s web serial API. I am just vehemently against the idea of allowing chrome the ability to interact with hardware haha

I also think, as far as I understand, this requires a software flag to be set which “tricks” the GPS into thinking that one is in an FCC region... if we ignore all the potential for software shenanigans I’d think it is absolutely traceable. Some time ago this myth was going around in the BMW community that the “piggyback tuners” clear off the minute you disconnect them physically, leaving behind no flags in the system. It wasn’t until warranty claims started hitting BMW that they started pulling data that everyone thought was being cleared haha.

in any case, just like cars, pay to play and all that.

I thought this only applied for people outside of the US and what not?
Indeed, all it does is tell the drone it's in the US, so if you already are you're not gaining anything.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaleUt.