Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Why are FPV Drones So Popular?

Demetrius Chan

Reaction score
FPV drones are spectacular pieces of technology, and while they have been existing for quite some time, it’s only since the last decade that these machines have been easily accessible to the public.

Speedy, versatile, and highly customizable, FPV drones can serve a multitude of functions. In fact, some have even attached flamethrowers on them (here’s an example, though not an FPV this can easily be one)!

Overkill: Flamethrower drone incinerates wasp nests in China

Perhaps the greatest contribution of FPV drones is in the racing industry. Drone racing is now a very large market with global viewers and with worldwide competitions being held and broadcast all over the world. Still, whether it comes to drone battles, paintball drones shootouts, or search and rescue missions, FPV drones can do them all if they are purpose-built that way.

Of course, there’s another “branch” of drone which are, for lack of a better term, cinematic ones. Drones like the DJI Mavic 2 Pro and the Phantom 4 Pro are capable of amazing cinematic footage, although they are not capable of acrobatic stunts while capturing shots, although this can be done post-production.

Still, there’s this charm about FPV drones that regular drones do not have. That feeling of flying as if you’re in the cockpit of a plane as well as the ability to set up and build your drone from scratch rather than simply relying on out of the box or 3D printed accessories are what makes FPV drones very popular.

While there are some cinematic FPV drones, setting up would be difficult due to the high power requirements to carry heavier high quality cameras. Regular drones like the Mavic Air 2 may also be used, but movement and even video quality may be limited.

The costs of building and setting up will also be extremely costly, with full setups possibly costing $3,000 or even more. Even adding a GoPro on your FPV drone, which should solve the footage issue to some degree, can cost a pretty penny as this will be an expense on top of the individual parts and accessories that you would be needing to build your rig.

Simply put, there’s a lot more that you can do with an FPV when it comes to flying, although the shooting part will require some more time and money in order to get that Youtube or Hollywood worthy shot.

On the other hand, cinematic drones are pretty much ready to fly and shoot out of the box, although what you can do are pretty much limited by the technology already inside the drone once you have bought it.

As you can see, there are good sides and bad sides to each, and choosing between one or the other can be a real conundrum as this would fully depend on what you intend to do with your drone as you fly. If you want speed, stunts, and the feeling of being like a bird in flight, then FPVs are the way to go.

Otherwise, if ease of use, simple flying, and shooting cinematic footage in one go is your goal, then look for cinematic drones. They also have the plus side of having other smart features like ActiveTrack, GPS, shooting modes, obstacle avoidance, and many more (depending on the type of drone that you have purchased, of course).

Until such a time when that elusive line between FPV and cinematic drones is blurred, there will be no choice but to pick one or the other. Of course, others may find some ingenious workarounds to get the best of both worlds to some degree.

I’m guessing that it’s this versatility and that space that FPV systems provide those who are creative and skilled enough to make their drones do more is what makes FPV drones one of the most popular and talked about in the industry.

What about you? Why did you get into FPV drones? Why cinematic or regular drones? Or maybe both? Share your experiences here!

I first got an AP (Ariel Photography) platform, the DJI Phantom 4 Pro Plus, it flies itself and takes good footage, you simply tell it where to go and when to record an image or video. After about 3 months I decided to learn to control an acrobatic quad with no GPS or altitude hold, these are the things that make the AP platforms easy to get into, and dangerous to the hobby, all at the same time. To fly an FPV quad, whether for racing or freestyle, is a completely different thing. I think that with the advent of the GoPro revolution of decent capability, all the way through now the naked variants, the line between cinematic and acrobatic is completely blurred and easily achievable. If you are a great pilot, and you are a great video engineer, you can find, fly, record, and produce some amazingly stunning video, even if it isn't "Red" videophile. I have only been at this about 6 years, I will never be a great pilot, and I will never have a love for splicing footage together, but I will never get tired of trying to pull off the best full send flippy floppy I can. Number 1 rule, have fun... check.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax