Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

After climbing 1260 steps...

Good Youtube Shorts

Did you count the steps?

Reactions: AeroFlix 4D
If I live to be 1,000 years old I will never understand the appeal of letterboxing vertical video into a horizontal palette. And if you happen to watch this vertical video forced into a horizontal palette on a vertical device, it's letterboxed a second time into a thumbnail. I can't believe the industry is deferring to an entire consumer faction too ignorant to hold a camera properly. There's no rationalization for less resolution, letterboxing or thumbnailing other than "everybody's doing it." And now drones do this to cater to the ignorant?

Who among us ever thought that VVS would "catch on???" When people do ignorant things, you're supposed to educate them. You're not supposed to cater to the ignorance. Strange times.

D

If I live to be 1,000 years old I will never understand the appeal of letterboxing vertical video into a horizontal palette. And if you happen to watch this vertical video forced into a horizontal palette on a vertical device, it's letterboxed a second time into a thumbnail. I can't believe the industry is deferring to an entire consumer faction too ignorant to hold a camera properly. There's no rationalization for less resolution, letterboxing or thumbnailing other than "everybody's doing it." And now drones do this to cater to the ignorant?

Who among us ever thought that VVS would "catch on???" When people do ignorant things, you're supposed to educate them. You're not supposed to cater to the ignorance. Strange times.

D
Shorts have typically become a quick-consumer “product” of which the quality does not matter, I would prefer to publish horizontal shorts but in this case the shorts will not be recognized as shorts by the platforms.

Platforms are pushing shorts to be “consumed” on vertical devices. Personally, I'm using the shorts as a preview to a higher quality horizontal video that will come out later. We have to adapt to the platforms on which we publish and make choices that will not always please everyone.

The shorts are to be compared with other shorts while the horizontal videos are to be compared with each other.

Some only watch shorts, others only horizontal videos and others both. Everyone has to make their own choices.

That said, I completely understand your point of view.

Shorts have typically become a quick-consumer “product” of which the quality does not matter, I would prefer to publish horizontal shorts but in this case the shorts will not be recognized as shorts by the platforms.

Platforms are pushing shorts to be “consumed” on vertical devices.
Well, the irony is that these aren't really "vertical devices." They are devices with roughly a 2:1 aspect ratio that the user chooses to hold horizontally. I wish I had a dollar every time I corrected someone's phone orientation so they could watch a horizontal video in a horizontal environment. I honestly don't understand why someone would watch a normal, horizontal YouTube video on a phone in vertical orientation. You turn the phone 90° and, bam, there it is. You can see everything. It's an interesting psychology to say the least. I've seen everybody from 17 to 80 years old do this. It's like...it's right there. Just turn the phone 90° and it opens up an entire world of resolution. You can see details! It's amazing!

Personally, I'm using the shorts as a preview to a higher quality horizontal video that will come out later. We have to adapt to the platforms on which we publish and make choices that will not always please everyone.
Yep....as I said, "There's no rationalization for less resolution, letterboxing or thumbnailing other than "everybody's doing it.""

The shorts are to be compared with other shorts while the horizontal videos are to be compared with each other.

Some only watch shorts, others only horizontal videos and others both. Everyone has to make their own choices.

That said, I completely understand your point of view.
Touché. I totally get that there's a market for this (forgive the term) crap. I guess my point is that I don't understand why anybody would prefer to hold a phone vertically for making or watching videos. I guess it comes from an entire generation of selfie takers. It's just easier to hold the phone vertically when showing everybody how great you are; how great your friends are; and what a wonderful life you're having. I'll get over it...LOL...

D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
darshan rajput