Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Avata or Skyliner?

Yaros

Reaction score
Website
codeclickers.com
I've been thinking about this for weeks now, I'm new to FPV and looking for advice.
I'm trying to choose between the Rotor Riot Skyliner FPV drone and the DJI Avata.
I also have the following questions:

Will the DJI FPV remote 2 and DJI goggles 2 work with both drones, assuming I buy the O3 version of the skyliner?

If so, how easy would it be to switch between them using the same goggles and remote?

I've heard about reports of Avata losing stability in flight, and I'm concerned about that, I'm also concerned about the low flight times of the skyliner, how are they?

Anyone who has any of these two drones, please tell me your real experience, actual flight time, stability both in freestyle and cinematic type of flying.

I have the Avata. I have found it has stability issues over water especially if you have a week GPS signal and you are lower than 6 feet over moving water. Just my thoughts it seems like the lower vision sensor and the GPS are fighting with each other to control the position of the drone and ignoring the commands from the remote. I have had instances where I would have difficulty controlling the drone when flying around waterfalls flying at a slow speed. Other than issues flying over moving water I have had no issues with the Avata. The hybrid function of a FPV drone and cinematic drone works good for what I use the drone for, On land I have had no issues with the Avata.

If you fly the Avata in manual just like you would another FPV aircraft it won't care about sensors and water.

Reactions: okw
If you fly the Avata in manual just like you would another FPV aircraft it won't care about sensors and water.
I am using the motion controller 2 to fly the Avata and I don't believe I can get to manual mode with the controller.

Nope you can't. But OP wasn't considering the MC for obvious reasons.

I was also wandering if the Dji avata is worth the money. I am thinking about getting it and I think it is a great drone, however is it relly worth the price and is it fun for years? I had the Geprc tinygo before and I loved it. Now want a smart drone that can also fly good, safely and do a bit of freestyle with good camera quality. Can anyone please give me a bit of advice.

Last edited:
Yes, I highly recommend it. I have an Avata, FPV, and Air 2S. Each has it purpose. For low flying and just the ability to hit pause while flying was what sold me over buying a Joshua Bardwell build. It is a blast to fly and if you get a call, you just hit pause and it will stay in the same place until you’re ready. Also, the Return to home feature is very useful if you lose signal or goggles/MC loses connection or power. It will save your butt.

Reactions: Lucas12345
Thanks for the fast reply. Is the avata stil good after a year? I am spending all my money so I want to be sure I will use it for many years.

I haven’t had mine but a couple months, so I could not say. I do not see why it would not be as it is top notch technology and pretty durable.

Also, the battery safety is night and day safer with the Avata. It is basically idiot-proof where as an FPV build needs special attention when charging as well as using the battery.

I'm planning to get myself the DJI Avata as well, but I still can't find any information on whether anyone out there has successfully paired the DJI FPV Remote 2 and DJI Goggles 2 with any DIY quad using the DJI O3 version.

The only thing I've seen others using with their DIY quad is the DJI FPV Goggles V2."

So.... it can be a little difficult to compare them as they are quite different and both have different pros and cons.

The Avata is going to have more safety and flight features right out of the box.

Pros: GPS positions which allows hover lock, collision avoidance, easier flight controls, 1 axis gimbal for slightly more camera movement control. Overall, this is a great beginner FPV drone. position lock allows you to essentially set the controller down and the drone will hover in place plus you have the option to go manual mode to practice throttle control. Long battery times is also a wonderful positive.

Cons: Limited flight movement comparatively, collision avoidance can be a hindrance, DJI settings can hinder you from flying in certain locations, more fragile than your typical freestyle quads. Personal but I can't use my Radiomaster TX16s with it. not a fan of the plastic DJI remotes.

The Skyliner is a true FPV quad
Pros: More maneuverability/agility while flying. A true "manual" quad. no safety settings that would limit what you can do. More resilient to crashes. 3 flying modes(acro, horizon, angle). More versatility when changing settings for the quad(Betaflight), Gopro or other Action cam can be mounted for quality video. 03 cam is meh for taking videos compared to action cams(This applies to the avata too imo). Loads of fun\

Cons: probably 3x less battery life, no position lock(you have to manually control your quad. No hover lock since there is no GPS), a lot more of a learning curve, will probably crash more often but drone is more resilient.

That being said... I started with a flying potato(DJI FPV) and got bored with it in about 2 weeks. Switched to a true acro drone and have been obsessed ever since. I prefer acro quads any day unless I am shooting still or videos that need extreme stability(Then I switch to my mavic 3 pro). I even use my 3" freestyle when flying indoors for real estate shoots. Takes practice but a lot more fun and gives you more versatility to what you can accomplish.

Just my 2 cents!

Also: DJI FPV goggles 2 now works with 03 units so you can use them for other quads as long as they have an 03. As for the remote 2, I am not so sure.

Reactions: SWTSU
So.... it can be a little difficult to compare them as they are quite different and both have different pros and cons.

The Avata is going to have more safety and flight features right out of the box.

Pros: GPS positions which allows hover lock, collision avoidance, easier flight controls, 1 axis gimbal for slightly more camera movement control. Overall, this is a great beginner FPV drone. position lock allows you to essentially set the controller down and the drone will hover in place plus you have the option to go manual mode to practice throttle control. Long battery times is also a wonderful positive.

Cons: Limited flight movement comparatively, collision avoidance can be a hindrance, DJI settings can hinder you from flying in certain locations, more fragile than your typical freestyle quads. Personal but I can't use my Radiomaster TX16s with it. not a fan of the plastic DJI remotes.

The Skyliner is a true FPV quad
Pros: More maneuverability/agility while flying. A true "manual" quad. no safety settings that would limit what you can do. More resilient to crashes. 3 flying modes(acro, horizon, angle). More versatility when changing settings for the quad(Betaflight), Gopro or other Action cam can be mounted for quality video. 03 cam is meh for taking videos compared to action cams(This applies to the avata too imo). Loads of fun\

Cons: probably 3x less battery life, no position lock(you have to manually control your quad. No hover lock since there is no GPS), a lot more of a learning curve, will probably crash more often but drone is more resilient.

That being said... I started with a flying potato(DJI FPV) and got bored with it in about 2 weeks. Switched to a true acro drone and have been obsessed ever since. I prefer acro quads any day unless I am shooting still or videos that need extreme stability(Then I switch to my mavic 3 pro). I even use my 3" freestyle when flying indoors for real estate shoots. Takes practice but a lot more fun and gives you more versatility to what you can accomplish.

Just my 2 cents!

Also: DJI FPV goggles 2 now works with 03 units so you can use them for other quads as long as they have an 03. As for the remote 2, I am not so sure.

Hi Brandonstreet,

Thank you for the comprehensive comparison. Initially, my plan was to go for Avata due to its useful travel features. Later, if I get more interested in FPV, I can opt for a DIY quad and still use the same goggles and remote to save some money.

Additionally, you mentioned that the DJI FPV Goggles 2 work with O3. Are you referring to the FPV Goggles V2 or the DJI Goggles 2? Since the recent Avata bundle only includes Goggles 2, I wanted to confirm if these new goggles can be used with DIY quads.

Yup! Thats pretty much what I did but with the DJI FPV rather than avata. According to Oscar Liang, both goggles V2 and Goggles 2 are now compatable with both the O3 units and the Avata.1693267737809.png

Redirect Notice

Excellent choice from good people. I love the tight space or very low flying of my Avata and you will enjoy the same. Later on, you may want to try out a dji FPV (or wait until the FPV 2 comes out) and have double to triple the speed of the cinewhoops.

Its speed is so much fun to blaze around with.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kylst18