Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Black Out While Flying

RandallEdick

Reaction score
I was mtn surfing at Loveland pass, Colorado, with my DJI FPV, 10 deg F, when the drone kicked out of manual then went completely black. After a very LONG and stressful few minutes, I did get an image back as the drone was returning home, however neither the drone or goggle video rrecording show the return flight. It's possible that a ridge cut off the signal, but that doesn't explain the total blackout. I got a "No SD" error. I did get video recording back just as it was landing. Not a fun time, but DJI saved the day. I thought it was gone forever. I'm sending everything in to get it checked out. Anyone ever see this? If so, what was the problem? Camera failure? I was using an ND 64 filter for the first time, if that means anything. I have flown the same ridgeline 4 other times this year without a problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: Texas Red
If you lost RF link then it will stop and come back, AND that will stop the recording so it would be normal you don't have it, any time link is lost that stops the recording (yes it's stupid).

Such a loss can also happen if you have an SD card in the goggles and it failed/got full during the flight, it causes them to crash/freeze. Video should come back but the OSD data typically stays frozen until they're rebooted.

Last edited:
Reactions: RandallEdick
If you lost RF link then it will stop and come back, AND that will stop the recording so it would be normal you don't have it, any time link is lost that stops the recording (yes it's stupid).

Such a loss can also happen if you have an SD card in the goggles and it failed/got full during the flight, it causes them to crash/freeze. Video should come back but the OSD data typically stays frozen until they're rebooted.

Checked both the bird sd and google sd and they had plenty of space left. I did fly further behind the ridge then before so loss of signal is likely. Perhaps you're right, but I need to have it checked out anyway. Cold wouldn't be a factor would it? It was probably 5deg up were I was flying.

Last edited:
Nope, unlikely. I've flown quite a bit in freezing temps with no impact.

IMO you'll just be wasting time and money if you send it in before confirming something abnormal, they're most likely not even going to look at it. But if it makes you feel better...

How do you check your flight log? I've forgotten. They asked about interference, it's possible, there's a relay tower about 3 miles away. Could that do it? I've flow the pass dozens of times, FPV and others, , didn't see any issues before.
DJI is pretty good about not charging for hardware failures. I don't want this to ever happen again, I might lose the drone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blackphoenix