Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Checking in from Eastern PA

Br'er Fox

Reaction score
I am completely new to the Drone World! I just think Drones are about the coolest thing to come along in recent history. I am a retired engineer and USAF veteran.
I am not an "off the shelf" kind of guy! So as my introduction to drones, I am building one from scratch! I don't have any interest in racing, but would like to be able to film the beautiful country we live in!
So my build project is a large one. It is a "Quad" measuring approximately 320mm motor center to motor center. Measuring diagonally 450mm center to center. It has a FPV camera for me, and a "GoPro" to get HD Video. Putting GPS on it also.
I 3D printed the frame.

I have struggled to interpret some of the terms and nomenclature! It seems that everybody (manufacturers and suppliers) does not speak the same language!

My Flight Controller is:

SpeedyBee F405 V3 BLS 50A 30x30 FC&ESC Stack​

I have tried to learn as much as I can about all aspects of Drone Flying, and I have to say LiPo batteries SCARE me! Since I am not going to be racing or doing any fantastic aerobatics, I have decided to use Lithium-Ion batteries.
A problem that I hope someone can help me with is: I have a Samsung SM-T350 tablet that I would like to use as my monitor. Problem is I don't know how tyo interface it with my FPV signal. The out put of my FPV receiver is two RCA connectors!

I know I've given you all a lot to unpack, but I am hoping you all can assist!

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

I am sorry that I am unable to answer your question. Hopefully, someone will.

I am completely new to the Drone World! I just think Drones are about the coolest thing to come along in recent history. I am a retired engineer and USAF veteran.
I am not an "off the shelf" kind of guy! So as my introduction to drones, I am building one from scratch! I don't have any interest in racing, but would like to be able to film the beautiful country we live in!
So my build project is a large one. It is a "Quad" measuring approximately 320mm motor center to motor center. Measuring diagonally 450mm center to center. It has a FPV camera for me, and a "GoPro" to get HD Video. Putting GPS on it also.
I 3D printed the frame.

I have struggled to interpret some of the terms and nomenclature! It seems that everybody (manufacturers and suppliers) does not speak the same language!

My Flight Controller is:

SpeedyBee F405 V3 BLS 50A 30x30 FC&ESC Stack​

I have tried to learn as much as I can about all aspects of Drone Flying, and I have to say LiPo batteries SCARE me! Since I am not going to be racing or doing any fantastic aerobatics, I have decided to use Lithium-Ion batteries.
A problem that I hope someone can help me with is: I have a Samsung SM-T350 tablet that I would like to use as my monitor. Problem is I don't know how tyo interface it with my FPV signal. The out put of my FPV receiver is two RCA connectors!

I know I've given you all a lot to unpack, but I am hoping you all can assist!
You may be able to make use of something like this

FPV Receiver 5.8G 150CH OTG Receiver UVC Video VTX 5dBi SMA Female Plastic for Android Smart Phone​

OK, a new problem!
Hopefully some one with a little more experience can give some input!
So I have gotten the video problem solved.
Now I am down to the very basic question of how does my transmitter communicate with with the drone?
On the drawing that shows potential connections to the Flight Controller, There are three wires from the "Receiver" to the Controller. 5V, Ground and SBUS.
Can someone explain How this works? Does the SBUS line carry all communications for the transmitter though the receiver to the Flight Controller?
My transmitter is a "Radiolink AT9S Pro" according to Radiolink documetation, they only communicate with Radiolink receivers. Stack to Receiver.png

That has an SBUS output, so yeah you'd want to connect that as described and it'll carry all channels.

So I have the configuration set for SBUS on the transmitter , receiver, and the flight controller stack.
But still no go! I cannot get the drone to arm!!

I am not technically illiterate! I am a retired engineer!
There just doesn't seem to be complete documentation for this hobby!

Things change quite quickly and there is quite some variation between manufacturers of radio systems, when you go with a not-so-common one there's going to be less documentation.
I'd suspect you might not be plugging into the correct receiver output or not have it in the correct mode that seems to be set using its button in the pretty unclear Chinglish manual.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax