Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Difference between DJI digital FPV system, and the DJI FPV system?

dronemanjem

Reaction score
I have just spent a few hours calibrating and setting up my new DJI FPV drone. Forgive me for the newbie question, but what is the difference between the ''DJI Digital FPV system'' and the ''DJI Drone FPV system''? I thought the signal was digital regardless? I presume that to get the higher quality digital image, a new camera needs to be purchased and fitted / the ''DJI digital FPV'' camera, that does not come with the DJI FPV combo?

Reactions: FPV Flier
DJI Digital FPV system = Air Unit + DJI Goggles (optionally Controller v1)
DJI Drone FPV system = DJI Drone+ DJI Googles + Controller v2

the are really not related, the only component that is the same are the Goggles.
the signals (well firmware) are not compatible.
just because systems are digital does not meant they are compatible.

the digital system can be fitted to any drone (or aircraft) that you can buy or build yourself.

the drone system, is complete kit with everything ... that you cannot use with other drones
(except goggles if you purchase and air unit)

basically DJI produce the airunit/goggles system first, and released to the diy market,
probably to gain experience in the fpv market... before releasing thier own complete system

The ''DJI Digital FPV system'' is a standalone camera and transmitter made for use on custom built quads, it's basically version 1. The FPV drone has version 2 of that which is quite an improvement built-in.
To use the older gear with the goggles V2 you have to switch them to the ''DJI Digital FPV system'' mode.

the digital system can be fitted to any drone (or aircraft) that you can buy or build yourself.
Hello thetectnobear, I have a skyhunter (Airplane) I built several years age for (fpv Analog system/w Fat Shark goggles). I've been thinking about converting the old analog system to the dji digital air unit or caddx air unit and using my dji V2 fpv goggles. Would they be compatible? Thanks to Dronemanjem for bringing this subject up.

Hello,
I have a Dji FPV combo. Can I fly this with the DJI Digital FPV system? When I switch over I loose the camera.

Reactions: TVQ
If you're talking of the selection in the goggles, no. There's one mode for the standalone "DJI Digital FPV system" and a different mode for the newer, better system that's integrated in the DJI FPV Drone.

You said you bought the combo, so you have the DJI drone. If you assembled your own drone and put a DJI Air unit in it you'd know...

OK, I'm still a little confused... I understand the two FPV systems from DJI:

The DJI Digital FPV system w/ Air Unit + DJI Goggles + optionally Controller (v1)
The DJI Drone FPV w/ DJI Drone+ DJI Googles + Controller (v2)

My question is about the goggles... are both goggles the exact same goggles I thought I had seen a reference to v1 and v2 versions? If I pick up a pair of used goggles that came with the FPV system (Air Unit kit) will the goggles work on my current DJI FPV Drone setup I just bought?

Thank you,
CJS

Nope they won't, they're different. The drone comes with the Goggles V2 which work with both, the old "V1" ones only work with the "FPV system w/ Air Unit", not the DJI FPV Drone even if they look the same from outside.

Reactions: CactusJackSlade
Nope they won't, they're different. The drone comes with the Goggles V2 which work with both, the old "V1" ones only work with the "FPV system w/ Air Unit", not the DJI FPV Drone even if they look the same from outside.
Thanks for the clarification!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fducloux