Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

DJI FPV 100 hours in manual, no crashes. What am i doing wrong?

Fpvbefokt

Reaction score
Just passed 100 hours in manual. No crashes necessary, despite what the "experts claim". Flew a microlight for 6 years, low and fast, high and slow, acrobatics as well. Was quite good, took 0 crashes to learn this. Fly big planes too, almost 10000 hours, no crashes.
With Sims readily available, why do some fpv "experts" claim that crashes are necessary to learn?

Usually you are crashing when doing your best and trying new things. Also so beginners know that crashing is ok and unavoidable when trying to learn as fast as possible.

Simple: Time to come down from 750 feet and try some o' that man-you-el flying below 100.

😁

• Haha
Reactions: Romulus Archibald
Usually you are crashing when doing your best and trying new things. Also so beginners know that crashing is ok and unavoidable when trying to learn as fast as possible.
Hmmm... I don't find crashing either OK, or unavoidable!

Happens, but I try hard to avoid it.

😁 😁

But I get what you're saying...

Sorry, what I said could be interpreted in multiple ways.
By "ok" I meant that crashing is normal. And I meant unavoidable when trying to learn as fast as possible not crashing is unavoidable. Thanks

Last edited:
I love close fast flying, but accept that i am limited in my co ord, and hate breaking and fixing things as a hobby.
When i want the thrill of the beyond belief things a quad can do,i watch Mr steele, Nurk, or similarly gifted people, in hd, not analogue.
Better experience, no risk, and allows me to stay within my limitations yet still get the thrill.

Reactions: Kilrah
I love close fast flying, but accept that i am limited in my co ord, and hate breaking and fixing things as a hobby.
When i want the thrill of the beyond belief things a quad can do,i watch Mr steele, Nurk, or similarly gifted people, in hd, not analogue.
Better experience, no risk, and allows me to stay within my limitations yet still get the thrill.
That is correct, most of the legendary pilots fly hd. However Mr.Steele flies analog for reduced latency and most racing pilots use analog for the reduced latency, maybe to save a little space+weight but not really. Yes, hd is considered more premium.

What i mean is, it doesn't matter what they see, which is usually a scratchy analogue picture, I get to watch their amazing flights in full hd, often stabilized, so i get to enjoy the view even more than the actual pilot.

When I'm flying fast enough for latency to be an issue I'm still in a straight line or gradual turn, and very aware of the danger of latency.

And when i want to watch crashes, i just watch Dr Nope.

I realize that a lot of this "crashes are ok" mentality comes from young men in pissing contests, which is what has allowed mankind to exceed its current limitations, and a wonderful thing. Groups of guys trying to outdo each other is what has led to this amazing development of acro quads in all their glory, so I'm not dissing them, just saying crashing in Sims is waaaaay better than real life.

Reactions: CrocMonster
Saw this in an article on drone racing. Guess it explains it fully.

"it’s about the experience. It’s about the feeling you get when taking huge risks and then succeeding."

However, i could never expose something i love so much to such danger, so flying through trees and buildings remains the terrain of the gifted folk, not me.

Except when i use the motion controller. For some reason, i start taking any gap wider than a meter, at high speed. However, it just takes the ability to point a dot, with great payoff, so i also love the thrill, just hate any crashes

However, i could never expose something i love so much to such danger, so flying through trees and buildings remains the terrain of the gifted folk, not me.
Try it in Normal mode, go slow.

Speed and risk aren't the only thrills. I've had some incredible FPV experiences flying at a walking pace up creeks and in wooded places you could never reach on foot.

Range can be very limited, but smart choice of launch location can help.

Just passed 100 hours in manual. No crashes necessary, despite what the "experts claim". Flew a microlight for 6 years, low and fast, high and slow, acrobatics as well. Was quite good, took 0 crashes to learn this. Fly big planes too, almost 10000 hours, no crashes.
With Sims readily available, why do some fpv "experts" claim that crashes are necessary to learn?
Are you racing gates in a course or just flying freestyle in open area? Also, if freestyling, have you attempted gapping trees or small spaces? See if you get zero crashes then.

have you attempted gapping trees or small spaces? See if you get zero crashes then.
But why?
That's the thing, for some reason a bunch of people can't seem to understand you can have fun and enjoy yourself in FPV without doing that kind of stuff, or at least not get enough extra enjoyment out of it to compensate the hassle of crashes and repairs.

I fly close enough to my limits to do cool stuff, but far enough that the probability of crashing is very low, and that's what I was already doing before the DJI FPV because when I crash a quad it tends to remain in a box for a few months because I hate repairs.

130 hours here...

What I've come to realize is that the DJI fpv is the most amazing introductory acro drone, that allows people with minimal skill to enjoy all the basics of fpv, (fast flying, low flying, close flying, and best of all, acro.)
When i want to fly through hoops and gaps in trees, i put on my prop guards and use the motion controller. In sport, i can travel at 100kmph, and the drone is pinpoint accurate, FROM THE FIRST FLIGHT. If you can point the dot at the gap, you're through.
The same goes for landing. Very difficult in wind, and one wrong move and the drone drags or flips. This wonderful drone let's you hover, then put it into normal mode and land as easily as with a gps drone.
When i want acro, i don't need to be dangerously close to objects, so this drone enables all the basics of fpv, but allowed you to choose how much total risk you want.
Never been available before to droners, which is why i love mine so much.
Speed, have reached 176kph with a tailwind, so fast too.

If racing is your bag, your need a racing quad, and a love of repairing. If you're not crashing every third race, you're not going fast enough.

If balls to the wall acro and close flying is your love without the security of tap fly, get an expendable quad, AND CAMERA, and have lots of spare cash for parts.

If flying is your passion, get the DJI fpv. As stated, it gives the bulk of all that quads have to offer, in a wonderfully easy and more fulfilling fashion for all who are not amazingly coordinated, yet want to fly. Flying in 50kmh winds, in acro, and soaring like a bird on the thermals and gusts is truly the most wonderful flying i have yet experienced.
DJI FPV is the best drone for flyers mankind has ever had, ever!

Reactions: rktman and Kilrah
Ohh yeah, and well done for not crashing so well. You aren't doing anything wrong.

Wow, you must be the #1 drone racer in the world. I'm amazed.

But why?
That's the thing, for some reason a bunch of people can't seem to understand you can have fun and enjoy yourself in FPV without doing that kind of stuff, or at least not get enough extra enjoyment out of it to compensate the hassle of crashes and repairs.

I fly close enough to my limits to do cool stuff, but far enough that the probability of crashing is very low, and that's what I was already doing before the DJI FPV because when I crash a quad it tends to remain in a box for a few months because I hate repairs.

130 hours here...
We find @Kilrah is an ordinary Joe like the rest of us, and only plays drone God on the internet 😁 😁 😁 😁

Try smaller gaps at higher speeds and flying backwards. That should help you get those desired crash numbers.

That's exactly the approach that I took.

My first drone was a Snaptain S5C. No GPS, no trim. In any breeze...even the draft from the heater coming on inside...would make it wander around, requiring constant attention. A bit like handling a taildragger on the ground.

The S5C had sturdy prop guards, and I banged it into stuff incessantly, both inside and outside. Nothing hurt it, and it didn't hurt anything else. Eventually it got caught in a wind gust that was beyond its power to overcome, and it flew off to that great landing pad in the sky...

Or, actually, somewhere toward the creek at the bottom of the canyon!

I replaced the S5C with a Mini-2. At 75 bucks, I considered the S5C an expendable trainer, which the Mini-2 most certainly isn't (at least for me). Still, I knew the only way to learn quickly was to test my limits, and I crashed them 5 times in the first 2 months. Not counting falling through the tree, which did no damage. But after that, for the last 6 months, no crashes at all. I'm entirely happy with the way it all turned out.

As my DJI care refresh gets closer to expiring, perhaps my willingness to expand my envelope a bit more quickly will increase...

;-)

TCS

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
darshan rajput