Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

DJI FPV firmware 1.02 released

msinger

Approved Vendor
Reaction score
Website
djidronehelp.com
New firmware has been released for the DJI FPV. Here’s a complete list of changes:
  • Added ability to enable/disable video subtitles under camera settings in goggles.

• Added ability to trigger Find My Drone by pressing Mode button and Brake button simultaneously on the motion controller.

• Added flashing auxiliary bottom light when Find My Drone is triggered.

• Added ability to start/stop motors in Manual mode when customizing C2 switch under control settings in goggles.

• Added ability to view HDMI live broadcast by connecting the goggles to the DJI Smart Controller (v01.00.07.00 or above required). By connecting the goggles to the DJI Smart Controller using USB-C cable, users can see the camera view of the aircraft on the screen of the Smart Controller and can transmit the live view from the Smart Controller to other display devices through an HDMI cable.

• Optimized hints on goggles for updates, Manual mode limitations, and motion controller critical low battery warnings.

• Optimized flight safety.

• Optimized flight experience when using Manual mode.

• Optimized flight experience when using motion controller.
The official release notes document is available on the DJI FPV downloads page.

Im all updated and took a few test flights.... (remember all controlles and batteries need updating)

oh, and it will pretty much reset all your settings - so you need to re-enable manual mode etc.

all feels pretty similar to me in N/S/M modes (sticks, haven't try MC yet)
the feared speed restriction (50kmh) , does not seem to apply here in CE region.

only interesting thing is , we now get the option for substitles on the google sdcard - exactly the same as the air unit.
this is pretty handy, because it shows the bit rate. (kind of odd its missing other fields)

Screenshot 2021-06-15 at 15.17.25.png

Ive now applied the b2yond unlock, not tested range (need to recharge all my batteries) - but drone/googes are still on speaking terms - so didnt break anything)

Im all updated and took a few test flights.... (remember all controlles and batteries need updating)

oh, and it will pretty much reset all your settings - so you need to re-enable manual mode etc.

all feels pretty similar to me in N/S/M modes (sticks, haven't try MC yet)
the feared speed restriction (50kmh) , does not seem to apply here in CE region.

only interesting thing is , we now get the option for substitles on the google sdcard - exactly the same as the air unit.
this is pretty handy, because it shows the bit rate. (kind of odd its missing other fields)

View attachment 5340

Ive now applied the b2yond unlock, not tested range (need to recharge all my batteries) - but drone/googes are still on speaking terms - so didnt break anything)
Do you have the Smart Controller? If so, did you test with it? I'm interested to hear if -when you connect the smart controller- you'll also be able to control the drone with it, or does it just function as a display?

So "subtitles" means telemetry. Wish I'd paid more attention to this, ignored it because I thought it was user subtitles that you spelled out. Something you add in post.

Can you record with on the goggles and without on the drone? That would be perfect!!

Do you have the Smart Controller? If so, did you test with it? I'm interested to hear if -when you connect the smart controller- you'll also be able to control the drone with it, or does it just function as a display?
hey joostGT3, i have the smart controller and heading out and will test it tomorrow. I'm very interested as well. Does it have the option to see or record what you see in the goggles or just another way to view live view only?

Reactions: JoostGT3
After update I went into settings and switch to imperial , but it stays metric in safety settings.
I’ve restarted but it still showing metric.

no, I dont have a smart controller.
but, its just going to be the display function - all they have done is activated the display feed, as the DJI Fly app does.

So "subtitles" means telemetry. Wish I'd paid more attention to this, ignored it because I thought it was user subtitles that you spelled out. Something you add in post.
yeah, very limited as you can see above.

the subtitles are stored in a separate file (.srt) to the video, which mean video programs can import.
so you only have to use them when you want to, they are not permanently burned into the video.
exactly the same as on the air unit.

I think most interesting telemetry is the bitrate, since this is a 'precise' reading of the video transmission quality, much more accurate than the 4 bars we only see in the googles.

btw: b3yond fcc hack still seems to work... at least i seemed to get increased range by applying it.

on the DJI forum, a few are saying (in M mode only), they feel, the its flying a bit tighter and smoother.

today, weather conditions were better (was very windy yesterday) - so I took it up again to see how update feels...

after today's flights, I'd agree, though its subtle, I found myself pushing it a bit more, and just feeling more confident - I think it was more predictable, less oscillations after fast/tight maneourvers - generally, I think it is flying smoother.

however, you can still provoke some nasty propwash - but I suspect given motors/weight that's always going to be there - but its ok, you can fly around it, its pretty predictable.

as I say, its subtle ... and I find it hard to know for sure, since Im flying the 5" back to back (which is still smoother), and also the firmware update reset all my rates - and I couldn't remember what I had them set at... so decided, Id go for the more aggresive rates Ive been using on my 5" recent ;)

anyway, doesn't really matter - I think the DJI FPV is flying pretty nicely :)

one thing that will be interesting, Id seen some saying the oscillations previously were making the video very hard to use ... so I wonder if these subtle improvements will translate to better video footage.

for those flying M mode, can you feel any difference?

(also anyone tried the motion controller with new firmware, apparently that is also supposed to be improved)

Haven't flown yet, maybe tonight or tomorrow. Also seen reports of better tuning and more tight/less propwash shake.

Id seen some saying the oscillations previously were making the video very hard to use ... so I wonder if these subtle improvements will translate to better video footage.
I've never seen that as long as EIS is on, what's shaky in the goggles pretty much always ends up being smooth on the recording.

I also noticed last night that you can turn full 360 with the motion controller while in hover mode instead og having to use the stop button and repostioning the controller

Excuse my ignorance but still not had time to pursue messing with mine but did do the update through my iPad. As far as I can tell all went well and in about it says 1.02 with drone and tx but googles
says 12345678 if I remember correctly. Is that correct or have I messed up again ?

Ok thanks. Better try it again ?
Well just checked again and was 1.02 this time when i looked. Maybe cause I didn’t reboot it ?‍♂️

Reactions: Anzacjack
had a fly with the MC today, a couple of interesting changes for the MC.

now, by default, rotating the MC no longer rotates the drone - only tilting (there is an option to turn on old behaviour)
I find this much better !

tilt now is working in flight on the MC... (I remember people saying this wasnt working in 1.0.1, only before take off)

Reactions: Haggi
Yay on the gimbal control!!

Now, how about adding a "lock camera straight down" option, even with shaky video, for landing. It physically can point straight down, but that's the physical limit, so 10 degrees or so are save for pitch changes.

Reactions: A.O. and Anzacjack
I also noticed a subtle difference in M mode. Maintaining altitude in a turn is easier for me now.

Another improvement is that it's easier to retrieve a .DAT. Before the upgrade the FPV and remote both had to be on and connected for the .DAT to appear on the mobile device. Now connecting the Goggles to the Fly App for a few minutes is enough to get the .DAT onto the mobile device. There is delay before the Fly App actually says it's there. But, if iTunes FileShare is used to transfer the FlightRecords folder to a PC the .DAT appears in the FlightRecords/MCDatFlightRecords folder. I suspect that's also the case for the Android Fly App.

I also noticed that the neighborhood dogs have stopped barking at me. Not sure if that's related to the upgrade though

altitude limit is stuck in metric mode for me even after switching back and forth between metric and imperial. I used to get 10min of flight in manual mode but today I only got like 7min per battery. I don't think I was flying harder than usual but it was hot today (mid 80s F). It felt like the auto RTH was triggering much sooner than before because based on the time left in the google I had like 7 more minutes of flight left on the battery. No noticeable flying performance improvement but I'm probably not good enough to notice that yet.

Reactions: busahaya03
altitude limit is stuck in metric mode for me even after switching back and forth between metric and imperial. I used to get 10min of flight in manual mode but today I only got like 7min per battery. I don't think I was flying harder than usual but it was hot today (mid 80s F). It felt like the auto RTH was triggering much sooner than before because based on the time left in the google I had like 7 more minutes of flight left on the battery. No noticeable flying performance improvement but I'm probably not good enough to notice that yet.
I also thought I noticed that the battery depletion rate was faster. But, then I looked at the data and it turned out that it looks like the FPV was being flown harder.

Two flights were compared, both after the updated FW. Looking just at the M mode part of the flights the value distanceFlown/batteryPercentage was calculated. The average velocity and pitch values weren't calculated, they are just eyeball averages.
Flight 1Flight 2
metersFlown/%battery86.7131
avg Velocity2720
avg Pitch-47-33

Flight 1 lasted about 7 minutes while Flight 2 lasted about 9 minutes. But, from the table above Flight 1 was being flown harder.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adax