Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Emax Tiny Hawk 2 throttles does not work using QX7 RC

Below is my MAC OS troubleshooting guide for Betaflight. I think you already tried everything on my list. I will need to ponder over this issue in order to see what else I could offer. Since it was working recently, I really feel it must be a conflicting software issue. When it worked after the NVram reset, did you have your HDD and printers attached?

Just to be sure, I also checked the open issues log for Betaflight and didn't see any potential unresolved item either. This one is a real mystery.... I rarely get stumpted, but I'm starting to feel that way. I'm not giving up though. I'll think about it and come up with a plan.

I know you probably already tried this, but with your HDD and printer disconnected, did you try plugging the drone into different USB port? Also how long did you wait? You shouldn't hit the connect button immediately after plugging in. On some MACs, you have to wait 15-30 seconds before the USB connects to the device.

I know you probably already tried this, but with your HDD and printer disconnected, did you try plugging the drone into different USB port? Also how long did you wait? You shouldn't hit the connect button immediately after plugging in. On some MACs, you have to wait 15-30 seconds before the USB connects to the device.
I normally dedicate one usb port to the hard drive where I add photos and videos on almost a daily basis. The other usb drive is used for whatever I happen to need at the time: printing once or twice a week; flight simulator with my Taranis, and now my DJI RC. When this usb is not used by those, I have my bluetooth mouse adapter plugged in. I only have the two usb ports on my Macbook Pro. My hard drive has two more usb ports which I use for charging usb devices.
I have tried plugging the dji air unit into both usb ports. The few times that the air unit did connect, with both my TinyHawk2 and the GEPRC Rocket Plus, the usb connection appeared in the dropdown list almost immediately. When I first activated the air unit on DJI Assistant 2, I did not update the firmware, and this is also true for the goggles. I noticed that I was not running the latest firmware when I was, and still have binding issues between goggles and air unit, so I updated the firmware on all three FPV components. I doubt if that has anything to do with Betaflight connectivity, but I just thought I would mention it. Finally, yes I will try again waiting before I click connect, but I am fairly certain I have done that before.

Just to be clear, you need to use the USB port on your flight controller not an air unit to connect to BetaFlight. Maybe you're just using the wrong lingo. The Tinhawk doesn't have an air unit so you are ok, so I'm assuming you mean the FC. But the GepRC has an air unit, so you need to connect to the FC USB port.

I normally dedicate one usb port to the hard drive where I add photos and videos on almost a daily basis. The other usb drive is used for whatever I happen to need at the time: printing once or twice a week; flight simulator with my Taranis, and now my DJI RC. When this usb is not used by those, I have my bluetooth mouse adapter plugged in. I only have the two usb ports on my Macbook Pro. My hard drive has two more usb ports which I use for charging usb devices.
I have tried plugging the dji air unit into both usb ports. The few times that the air unit did connect, with both my TinyHawk2 and the GEPRC Rocket Plus, the usb connection appeared in the dropdown list almost immediately. When I first activated the air unit on DJI Assistant 2, I did not update the firmware, and this is also true for the goggles. I noticed that I was not running the latest firmware when I was, and still have binding issues between goggles and air unit, so I updated the firmware on all three FPV components. I doubt if that has anything to do with Betaflight connectivity, but I just thought I would mention it. Finally, yes I will try again waiting before I click connect, but I am fairly certain I have done that before.
I'm glad you updated the firmware to the latest version on all your DJI gear. I was just going to mention that for your binding issues. If you're not on 1.06 you can't do the 1200 mw hack.

Just to be clear, you need to use the USB port on your flight controller not an air unit to connect to BetaFlight. Maybe you're just using the wrong lingo. The Tinhawk doesn't have an air unit so you are ok, so I'm assuming you mean the FC. But the GepRC has an air unit, so you need to connect to the FC USB port.
Yes, sorry, I am plugging in to the micro usb port on the TinyHawk 2 and also the Geprc micro usb port, not the usb c port on the DJI air unit.

Yes, sorry, I am plugging in to the micro usb port on the TinyHawk 2 and also the Geprc micro usb port, not the usb c port on the DJI air unit.
And, first thing tomorrow I will run through your entire Mac checklist that you provided to see if any one of them resolves the betaflight connectivity issue. Oh, for what it's worth, I installed OpenTX and have connected it successfully to my QX7 via the usb port. As I think of it, I have connected many different types of devices to both usb ports, and betaflight is the only one that has caused a problem.

And, first thing tomorrow I will run through your entire Mac checklist that you provided to see if any one of them resolves the betaflight connectivity issue. Oh, for what it's worth, I installed OpenTX and have connected it successfully to my QX7 via the usb port. As I think of it, I have connected many different types of devices to both usb ports, and betaflight is the only one that has caused a problem.
In that case, you may need to completely remove betaflight and then install the latest version from scratch

Last edited:
In that case, you may need to completely remove betaflight and then install the latest version from scratch
I have Betaflight working again! I was browsing around on the Betaflight configuration page and noticed the following excerpt. I entered the code into the terminal and voila, it works! Thanks again for all your help. Now I have to learn how to use it so I can get my DJI Racing goggles to connect to my TinyHawk 2. Since this is such a long thread, I will start a new thread, but first I will see if I can get it working myself by trying to synch the VTX with goggles.

• Changes to the security model used in the latest versions of MacOS X 10.14 (Mojave) and 10.15 (Catalina) mean that the operating system will show an error message ('"Betaflight Configurator.app" is damaged and can’t be opened. You should move it to the Trash.') when trying to install the application. To work around this, run the following command in a terminal after installing: sudo xattr -rd com.apple.quarantine /Applications/Betaflight\ Configurator.app.

Congrats!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
colorsone