Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Enable 1200mW output power

Well, "pain" is subjective. I agree it's annoying, but I certainly wouldn't avoid the FPV because of it. Takes a handful of seconds and a few button pushes. Takes way more effort and time just to get everything out, set up, and take off.

Matter of perspective...
I rest my case, and this is just one of the many reports of issues caused precisely by issues created by the inconvenience of having to do a complete switch from fpv drone to traditional fpv drones, did I say "brick" before in this thread?

Rest what case?

If it bricks, that's a defect. Not some painful aspect of the product design.

Reactions: Kilrah
Ok, thanks for that explanation. I was flying yesterday and the signal degraded quite heavily after only 0.6 miles (1km) so I wanted to unlock the true potential - but if it's already at max then I suppose that's all it can do.
Very likely objects in the way of line of site between you and the drone. The absolute worst is anything containing water, which is a superb blocker of microwaves, the frequencies we transmit at.

Guess what's chock full of water: Plants! Trees! Guess where FPV pilots love to fly? In trees!

Hmmmmmmm..... wonder what might have been between you and your drone at the time? ;)

He's in the US already.
Exactly, and still need to hack for 1.2W (only refering to goggles paired with dji fpv drone) wich doesn't seem to work.

My impression is:
EU CE tx 2.4 gHz 400mW and 5.8 gHz 25mW
US Fcc tx 2.4 gHz 700mW and 5.8gHz 700mW.
Or do you guys have goggle menu options for tx power in US fcc? and if not, is there any negative aspects of using DH 1.2W or B3yond 1.4W hacks in fcc countries?

Last edited:
The adjustable power and hack to enable 1.2W selection is for the air unit mode only.

For FPV drone there is only CE/FCC. If he's in the US he already is in FCC so no point doing anything.

FPV drone in FCC is 1.4W in both 2.4 and 5.8, it's all in the specs.

yeah, bare in mind, what the 'hack' does , is tell the drone/googles that it is in the FCC region - which implies higher outputs ... so if you're in the FCC region this wont do anything ;)

"FPV drone in FCC is 1.4W in both 2.4 and 5.8, it's all in the specs."

thats not true... (from specs)

5.725-5.850 GHz
FCC: ≤ 31.5 dBm
= 1412 W

but :
2.400-2.4835 GHz
FCC: ≤ 28.5 dBm
= 707 mW

( this is the case for both goggles and controllers)

however, this is not really a concern
5.8 is better where there is alot of interference, and the extra power will help 'blast thru it', but less range.
2.4 is better range/penetration where less interference

Under Aircraft:

2.400-2.4835 GHz
FCC: ≤ 31.5dBm
CE: ≤ 20 dBm
SRRC: ≤ 20 dBm
MIC: ≤ 20 dBm

5.725-5.850 Ghz
CE: ≤ 14 dBm
SRRC: ≤ 25.5 dBm

under goggles and controllers (same link ;) )

2.400-2.4835 GHz
FCC: ≤ 28.5 dBm
CE: ≤ 20 dBm
SRRC: ≤ 20 dBm
MIC: ≤ 20 dBm

5.725-5.850 GHz
CE: ≤ 14 dBm
SRRC: ≤ 19 dBm

not very useful if the aircraft can talk to the goggles, and the controller/goggles can't talk to the aircraft.
so basically, the smallest value is the most important - imho.

also given the above is repeated 3 times (googles, remote controller, motion controller) - I would not be surprised if the aircraft spec is a typo

Reactions: CrocMonster
The amount of data the RC / goggles have to send to the aircraft is minuscule compared to the video feed sent by the AC, so can be done at lower bitrates = less power needed for same range.

The amount of data the RC / goggles have to send to the aircraft is minuscule compared to the video feed sent by the AC, so can be done at lower bitrates = less power needed for same range.

thats true to some point, but hard to say by how much - at some point if the SNR is too high, the control link will be unusable/unstable - and it'll fail.
... also why if it is asymetric, is it only on the 2.4ghz channel?

all that said, it doesnt affect me , where I fly , increase power does very little to increase range.
basically, if a mountain gets in the way... its blocking the signal, otherwise, even CE power will go a long way on 2.4.

I guess, in highly rf polluted area it would help, but then you'd use 5.4, which is spec'd the same on both aircraft and googles/controller.

who knows, seems like an oddity, perhaps there is logic, perhaps there isnt :)

Jup, there it is!
I know it isn't possible to flash custom DH firmware with the fpv drone yet, but in some vids I've seen with mavics flashed with with ddd firmware there were boost mode 1.8W. Would 1.4W be the limit for the fpv drone perhaps?

hmm, I went to the Air2s to see if it was asymetric or not.

interestingly it is asymetric, so looks like @Kilrah is right about asymetric power.

air2s specs

aircraft:
2.4 GHz:
FCC: ≤30 dBm
CE: ≤20 dBm
5.8 GHz:
FCC: ≤30 dBm
CE: ≤14 dBm

remote:
2.4 GHz:
FCC: ≤26 dBm
CE: ≤20 dBm
5.8 GHz:
FCC: ≤26 dBm
CE: ≤14 dBm

however, there are a few oddities (which I had kind of mentioned)
first is, unlike the DJI FPV, 2.4 and 5.8 are both asymetric (its only asymetric on 5.8 on dji fpv)
also the CE is not asymetric, perhaps because they use max legal power on both aircraft and remote
(but why in FCC can they not use 30dBm on remote? - perhaps just hardware limit)

anyway, kind of interesting.... but ultimately, not sure its very useful (at least for me :) )

thats true to some point, but hard to say by how much - at some point if the SNR is too high, the control link will be unusable/unstable - and it'll fail.
Well, not as straightforward as you think.

There are all sorts of techniques for pulling signal out of noise. Check out convolution.

Kilrah's right – there's a pretty solid relationship between data rate and power.

To clarify this is for the DJI FPV system (air unit), not the DJI FPV drone.
there is an app that now allows the dji fpv quad to be unlocked to 1200 its called b3yond i cant personally say it works but apparently it does hopefully it does though

It's not "unlocking to 1200" it's telling the aircraft to operate in FCC mode.

The "unlock to1200" is specific to the air unit mode where you have a dropdown for setting power output and this adds the 1200mW choice in the list.

Reactions: Fpvbefokt
It's not "unlocking to 1200" it's telling the aircraft to operate in FCC mode.

The "unlock to1200" is specific to the air unit mode where you have a dropdown for setting power output and this adds the 1200mW choice in the list.

Attachments

• FA8E8E2E-0065-4712-9D2C-6D7707D3A78E.png
    FA8E8E2E-0065-4712-9D2C-6D7707D3A78E.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 7
Just spoke to one of the devs and he assures me that it fully unlocks the dji fpv only repeating what I was told I cannot confirm officially

It sets it to FCC power which is the most it can do, it's just a different way, not the same thing and not called the same. If you read it's actually 1400mW on the FPV.

Reactions: Fpvbefokt and Haggi

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
happypapaya