Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

First Quad, need some help

You are a little light on troubleshooting info, I am having a hard time figuring out what might be happening given so little, did the device manager show any different? It is the PC in all likelihood, this is a common issue.

Reactions: NeoCloneOne
I've had these same FC's do the strangest thing. One board would only let me flash BF firmware with BF, that previously had CF firmware on it. No matter how many times I tried, it would only accept BF firmware versions. Another FC would only allow me to flash firmware in CF, and I could do both CF & BF. I prefer to flash BF on my FC's. Try soldering the boot pads/ pins together for a more solid connection. I had a problem on a board that wouldn't work with a jumper. I soldered the boot pads together, then *viola*, it started taking the firmware (don't forget to unsolder after flashing).

Hey guys.

I have bought a wizard X220 RTF and I am definitely in noob when it comes to the finer technical side of the quad. I have an issue i can’t seem to resolve and need help from all the far more clever people in here...

AFTER I had a crash it seemed to have burnt out a motor and the stock esc. I replaced a single motor with the same and got a Blheli racestar 20A esc, soldered it on, reconfigured it through beta flight and Blheli configurator. Obviously had the props off to test, it had all the beeping sounds and save and reboot sounds, motors spun from zero to hero like normal it seemed.

Took it to a close by park and it arms as normal but when I go to take off it has a wobble and power cuts out. I re armed it time and time again, just using directions rather than throttle and it wants to lift in those directions but if I go to add throttle to take off it has a fair wobble and power cuts out.

I’m thinking Maby is to do with the timing of the new esc, but I thought i rectified that and its still doing th same thing.

I Have no idea how to fix this any help would’ve greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi Eye and welcome to the forum, I’m sure that you will get the help that you need on here as there are many pilots and builders on here with exceptional knowledge. But you really need to do your own post rather than putting it in someone else’s or it won’t be seen by a lot of people.

Reactions: VirtueViolater
Hi Eye and welcome to the forum, I’m sure that you will get the help that you need on here as there are many pilots and builders on here with exceptional knowledge. But you really need to do your own post rather than putting it in someone else’s or it won’t be seen by a lot of people.

Hey wayno.

Yep that makes a lot of sense I will go ahead and do that.

Also new to this forum.

Thanks.

So I downloaded the drivers but it did not make a difference, what else do I need to do?

Thank you so much guys, Virtue Violater did the trick, but thank you all for helping. my FC is now working, so I have a backup if needed. So I soldered the drone all up, plugged in the rx and fired it up, first trying to bind it to the controller. No smoke :/. what do you guys think is wrong, is the FC suppose to light up when I plug in that batt. because if so it's not. and the light on the rx isn't either. Just ask me any additional stuff that needs to be know. Thanks!

Yes the FC will have some kind of LED's and so does the RX, does the FC light up when you plug it into USB?

Then something is wrong with the build somehow. You said you "soldered the drone all up" but I have no idea what that means and it must not be correct somehow.

If this is a Wizard X220, then it has a PDB on the bottom of the stack and the SPRacing F3 is on the top of the stack. When you plug in the battery there should be 2 red LED's on the PDB (bottom board) that tells you the 5v and 12v regulators are getting power and functioning properly.
20180725_221437.jpg

If everything is wired correctly and the RX is configured properly and is seen by the FC, then you should have a solid Blue on the FC and likely a solid Green on the RX.
20180725_221505.jpg

If things are wired properly but the RX is not bound to the TX or configured correctly you will have the Blue on the FC, a flashing Red on the FC and a flashing Red on the RX. In the picture below I caught both the FC Red and RX Red on at the same time, I turned off the TX to get this indication (slow flashing Red on FC, or plugged in with the TX turned off (fast flashing Red on FC).
20180725_221548.jpg

There should be a Red and Black wire that run from the PDB 5v section to the FC to give it power.

Inked20180725_221719_LI.jpg

OK thank you, I will re solder the wires and make sure. if it's still a no go ill use new FC, if still a no go ill use new PDB. Once it's working and I bind it to the receiver will it be ready to fly? should I be able to move the sticks and will the motors move? Or do I need to do some stuff in betaflight, or is betaflight only for tweaking?

If the FC lights up with the USB then it is likely not getting the 5v/Gnd from the PDB, do not get too far ahead of yourself, lets look at this logically with knowledge...
First plug up the battery (NO PROPS!) and see if you get the 2 Red LEDS on the bottom board. If you do then the PDB is fine and it must be a wiring issue.

Also, it will not be fully ready to fly yet, there is more to configure in Betaflight. I can't remember what this was, is it a PNP, BNF, or RTF?
If it is a RTF then I am a little light on the TX setup and Betaflight config as I use Frsky Taranis so it is a bit different, but I know there is a few videos just for the RTF version out there that if followed should help you configure your arming switch(s) and Failsafe and test it all out. Let me know and I will dig up a few videos for you.

Ok, generally before I desolder I look it over real good to make sure I understand what is connected, then check with a multimeter to see what's going on. it is just 2 wires from the PDB to a correct spot on the FC to get power. It would help to get a few good photos to help us understand what you have and what may be wrong or missing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax