Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Help with building first racing drone

James Astolas

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I am new to the forum and pretty much a noob when it comes to drones. I have flown many Air Hog type crafts, but nothing along the lines of the quality one would see with drone racing.

I have been researching the topic for about a week now and I have decided to build my own. I plan on making a cheap model to practice with and a high end one. Anyway, I am still not familiar with everything and what I need.

If you don't mind checking out my list of parts for my high end drone and tell me what I might be missing or need. I will really appreciate it the help.

1. QAV-X Charpu 3mm Frame

2. Cobra CM-2206/20 Multimotor Kv=2100 x4

3. Kiss 24A ESC Race Edition 32bit Brushless Motor Ctrl x4

4. Lumenier Lux Flight Controller

5. Lumenier 4Power Mini PDB

6. IBCrazy 5.8GHz BluBeam Whip Antenna/90 degree SMA

7. EZUHF JR Module Transmitter

8. TATTU 2700mAH 3s 35c Battery

9. FrSky Taranis X9D Plus 2.4GHz ACCST Radio

10. Fat Shark Dominator V3 FPV Goggles

11. Lumenier CM-650 Mini, 2.5 mm Lens, Top Connector-650TVL Camera

Do I need a separate receiver and transmitter for the FPV?
What type of wires and connectors will I need?
Will this Drone fly properly and not blow up on me?

Thanks in advance!

Hello Everyone!

I am new to the forum and pretty much a noob when it comes to drones. I have flown many Air Hog type crafts, but nothing along the lines of the quality one would see with drone racing.

I have been researching the topic for about a week now and I have decided to build my own. I plan on making a cheap model to practice with and a high end one. Anyway, I am still not familiar with everything and what I need.

If you don't mind checking out my list of parts for my high end drone and tell me what I might be missing or need. I will really appreciate it the help.

1. QAV-X Charpu 3mm Frame

2. Cobra CM-2206/20 Multimotor Kv=2100 x4

3. Kiss 24A ESC Race Edition 32bit Brushless Motor Ctrl x4

4. Lumenier Lux Flight Controller

5. Lumenier 4Power Mini PDB

6. IBCrazy 5.8GHz BluBeam Whip Antenna/90 degree SMA

7. EZUHF JR Module Transmitter

8. TATTU 2700mAH 3s 35c Battery

9. FrSky Taranis X9D Plus 2.4GHz ACCST Radio

10. Fat Shark Dominator V3 FPV Goggles

11. Lumenier CM-650 Mini, 2.5 mm Lens, Top Connector-650TVL Camera

Do I need a separate receiver and transmitter for the FPV?
What type of wires and connectors will I need?
Will this Drone fly properly and not blow up on me?

Thanks in advance!

Only real problem I noticed is that battery will be way too heavy. Most people use 1300mah, or maybe up to 1550mah. The components should come with most of the wiring, except perhaps the ESCs and battery connector.

Also, to me some of the "in the air" parts may be a bit expensive for just starting out. The taranis is highly touted, but also expensive. I went with a Radiolink AT9S and have been very pleased for $100 less. It is among the lowest lag, has channel hopping, etc.

Be sure that is a CCD camera to get good low light and eliminate jello effect. I like the sony 1/3" sensors.

Good luck!

Edit: yes, you will need an FPV transmitter, but they are only about $20. Not sure if those goggles include a receiver or not. You will probably want a 200mW transmitter if you will be flying with other pilots nearby.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan@3DIM
Only real problem I noticed is that battery will be way too heavy. Most people use 1300mah, or maybe up to 1550mah. The components should come with most of the wiring, except perhaps the ESCs and battery connector.

Also, to me some of the "in the air" parts may be a bit expensive for just starting out. The taranis is highly touted, but also expensive. I went with a Radiolink AT9S and have been very pleased for $100 less. It is among the lowest lag, has channel hopping, etc.

Be sure that is a CCD camera to get good low light and eliminate jello effect. I like the sony 1/3" sensors.

Good luck!

Edit: yes, you will need an FPV transmitter, but they are only about $20. Not sure if those goggles include a receiver or not. You will probably want a 200mW transmitter if you will be flying with other pilots nearby.

Thank you very much for your feedback! I will definitely look into a smaller mAH battery and a transmitter for the FPV Goggles (I don't believe they come with one). I chose the Taranis because like you stated it is highly touted. I will check out the one you mentioned though.

As for the in the air parts being expensive for my first build, it is because this will be my high end second build. I am going to build a cheaper kit first to practice how to control the drone first (also for lots of crashes most likely).

Thanks again for the reply and it definitely helped out!

Thank you very much for your feedback! I will definitely look into a smaller mAH battery and a transmitter for the FPV Goggles (I don't believe they come with one). I chose the Taranis because like you stated it is highly touted. I will check out the one you mentioned though.

As for the in the air parts being expensive for my first build, it is because this will be my high end second build. I am going to build a cheaper kit first to practice how to control the drone first (also for lots of crashes most likely).

Good idea on getting a practice drone too. There are some really nice Bind n' Fly 130mm brushless ones now, and that would allow you to practice in smaller spaces (and hence, much more often). I recently ordered a Storm 101mm (helipal.com) brushed FPV drone to fly indoors and around the back yard for $99. I haven't received it yet but will update once I try it out. It isn't fast being brushed, but should be fun indoors.

There is a crazy deal right now on the tarot 130, which is supposed to be a very good micro racer. If I saw this earlier, I probably would have gotten this instead of the SRD101. TAROT 130 TL130H1 Mini Real-time Transmission Racing Drone with Brushless Motor-166.67 and Online Shopping | GearBest.com Mobile

Smaller battery for sure. Also get something with a higher c rating. Get a few batteries, you will only get about 8 mins tops with a 1500 mAH battery. You might also consider a little bigger machine like a 250 size for a first build and fly. Something that small can be a real challenge getting all the electronics on board and if you do any line of sight flying you can lose orientation real easy, especially if your eyes are as bad as mine lol and that frame is a perfect x so telling front from back can be a challenge. This is an excellent deal right now and its an awesome frame.Blackout Super Mini H Quad Frame - 6 Arms, 260mm [BLACKOUT-MINI-H-QUAD-6] - $59.99 : Ready Made RC LLC, The Leader in All Things FPV, RC, and Beyond You will need a receiver for the fatsharks and you will need a video transmitter on the quad, try not to get a really high powered transmitter, added weight and power consumption, plus your other pilot friends will hate you when your video interferes with theirs. I use xt60 connectors on the heavy stuff like battery connections as do most other people and jst on small stuff. Just beware if you get jst connectors from hobbyking like places, I bought a bunch from them and the were wired backwards, fried my favorite helicopter. GOOD SOLDERING IRON! And if you're spending that much money right now I would get the taranis radio, you will just end up buying one later anyway and it is an awesome radio. I wish I had one, I'm using a futaba 8fg super now but I just HATE programming the thin compared to the taranis and the taranis has telemetry that talks to you, a huge advantage.Also consider the KISS flight controler, that's going to be my next one.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax