Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Is this a good next drone?

@thetechnobear , no matter what you get as a "will risk it" flyer, keep in mind that $125-150 of the price is the Caddx Vista VTX system. So all drones compatible with the DJI FPV goggles will be about $100 more than a drone with an analog VTX and comparable camera.

Im just waiting for DJI to approve my VAT registration.... so I can order - so been watching more videos :)

wow, the more I watch, the more controversial it is...
I guess the difficulty is, bring a hybrid between FPV and camera drone, enthusiasts in both camps are saying its not for them ... the Air2 is better for photography, a full fpv for acro/fpv.

main issues seem to be
a) hard/expensive to fix if you crash
b) camera stabalisation/no 24,30fps for cinematography
c) not as agile as a true-fpv...

I guess these are all deliberate compromises.
ready to use, one camera , big battery for longer fly time.

on the good side... everyone does still seem impressed with the googles/fpv/O3.
(and battery life seems pretty reasonable)

anyway, hoping my registration comes thru soon so I can order, but its giving me lots of time to further research.

I cannot really see an alternative at the moment thought.
I think mainly because the immersive/quality googles and reliability of O3, feel important to me.
(though I can totally see myself getting another acro drone to hone my skills with)
Yeah, been reading a lot of noise.

Here's what I've found: Most of those people don't have one, and haven't flown one. They're criticizing from their niche POV based on how they imagine it will be, relative to their specific needs.

It's not a racing quad. Don't buy it for that, and expect to win races.

It's not a cinematic camera drone. Don't buy it and expect incredible video presentations for your roofing business.

It IS the highest performing drone DJI has ever offered to the public, capable of full-acro maneuvers, with a partially stabilized gimbal. It will come back to you if you lose contact. You can fly it in typical DJI modes, and it will behave like your other DJI drones. It will hold position while you talk to your visiting cousin about how cool it is, then start going again.

There are so so many ways I can describe how this drone fits its own particular market, a market that really is separate from the FPV racers and acrobats, as well as the cinematographers.

A market for people like me. I've had my fun with the camera drones, shooting video is an ongoing hobby. I'm not leaving it. But a traditional FPV drone was a bridge just a little too far for me to pull the trigger. This is a bridge I can make it across, and I have a feeling there are a lot of me out there.

Landing in FPV in acro mode has always been sketchy and there's no reason to do it with this aircraft, much better to flip to N mode and land nice and smooth, optionally removing the goggles and hand catching.
No reason?

There's always ego.

?

• Haha
Reactions: Kilrah
yeah, to 'complete this post' :)

I bought the FPV, and have had it since last week.... flown it 2-3 times a day.

I'm totally happy with it, its lived up to what I hoped and expected.
I was mainly after the immersive nature, that first person view... and it delivers that in spades.
It was easy to get started in N mode, and S mode is an absolute blast.

I practised on Velocidrone and the DJI iOS Sim, and I'm now happy to fly around in M mode (albeit giving my self some height for mistakes).

M mode gives a great new perspective e.g. I enjoy the fact that I can feel the wind, and the drone feels more agile.

But I still love the N/S modes - not only were they a great introduction, but also I use them when wanting to shoot video in a more relaxed way. Also, Im using them alot when flying lower and through trees (perhaps this might change when Im more confident with M mode)

overall Im really happy about the way it has progressed my flying skills, whilst not having to worry about damage.

yeah, Ive got the bug, and want a more rugged drone for more risky endeavours - it'll likely be a iFlight Nazgul or the Titan w/ Vista or Air Unit, and a Tango controller.
Im probably going to order this once Ive got a little better on M mode on the DJI...
(give DJI a chance to release an air unit v2... though I admit this seems unlikely to happen very soon)

but even then I'll still be using the dji fpv as my main drone, mainly for its versatility... I cant wait to take it hiking.

from my perspective...
if you have mavic, and want to get more into flying, and have an immersive experience its a great drone.
particularly, if you think the dji fpv camera is good enough to take over your mavic duties (*), and if you are not planning on racing or full on acro. (**)

its kind of a perfect 'hobby' drone... my skills are more likely to limit me than the drone, and im not selling videos, so its perfectly 'good enough'.

also I have to be realistic, some times with hobbies, I go through phases... I might be doing alot of flying for months, then do something else ... its nice to know that if I leave the DJI FPV for a while, I can still pick it up again and fly it safely even if im a little 'rusty'.

funny, whilst I think there are alot of enthusiasts saying they don't know who its aimed at...
I think the target market actually know quite clearly its a good choice for them.

btw: I also disagree, that newcomers to fpv don't know about other options, if your spending $1.5-2k, I think most will do thier research, and there is plenty of information about how to build diy fpv drones, its not that complicated ;)

only thing that ive not been happy about - has been dji delayed deliveries.
my fly more (batteries) have been delayed, and probably will arrive next week - one battery has been ok for first week, but this week its going to be a pain not having 3.

also my motion controller is also delayed - Im quite looking forward to playing with that, my idea is to use this when I just want to fly around in N/S mode... then use the controller mainly for M mode - but we will see.
(it'll be a lot of fun, when I have friends/family around anyway )

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(*) its not as stable, due to single axis gimbal - but may be enough for you?!
(**) if you know you want full acro/racing, then it might be easier just to get a RTF fpv drone from the get go.

You honestly sound exactly like the target market DJI intended for this product. You are looking for the thrill of flight, coming from a Mavic but have no FPV experience. A lot of people will get this drone as their first FPV experience then some people will want and will then come over to the dark side and fly racing drones to build their ACRO skills before trying to fly the new DJI drone in manual mode.
Spot on! This is exactly what I would “like” to do. Have had a P3, have a P4, Mavic Pro, Storm 250 but have never committed to goggles because you can’t cross over from distance cruising to more aggressive flying. I would have to learn FPV on a cheaper,repairable unit. Would be willing to get the DJI FPV combo but want to use the googles,trans on different sub 250 quads. Perhaps build some in spare time. Appreciate everyone on the forum!

Im just waiting for DJI to approve my VAT registration.... so I can order - so been watching more videos :)

wow, the more I watch, the more controversial it is...
I guess the difficulty is, bring a hybrid between FPV and camera drone, enthusiasts in both camps are saying its not for them ... the Air2 is better for photography, a full fpv for acro/fpv.

main issues seem to be
a) hard/expensive to fix if you crash
b) camera stabalisation/no 24,30fps for cinematography
c) not as agile as a true-fpv...

I guess these are all deliberate compromises.
ready to use, one camera , big battery for longer fly time.

on the good side... everyone does still seem impressed with the googles/fpv/O3.
(and battery life seems pretty reasonable)

anyway, hoping my registration comes thru soon so I can order, but its giving me lots of time to further research.

I cannot really see an alternative at the moment thought.
I think mainly because the immersive/quality googles and reliability of O3, feel important to me.
(though I can totally see myself getting another acro drone to hone my skills with)
Well I have finally joined you and the highlighted phrase above is a lot of the reason, I am in neither of those camps I think a lot like you. and so far so good!!

Reactions: thetechnobear

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
colorsone