Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Is this a good next drone?

thetechnobear

Reaction score
Hi,

Ive currently got a Mavic Air (mk1) which I bought mainly for photography, but after a while I found that I actually just loved to fly it - more thant the photography side :)

However, I have few issues with it
a) Wifi - Ive never had any issues with it, but the signal variability makes me nervouces.
b) bright sunlight makes the phone display barely readable
( I live in Southern Spain, so the sun is very bright much of the year, so this is a big issue for me)
c) looking at the phone, I find it easy to lose sight of the drone (Mavic Air), or get disoriented
( I live in a very remote area, no-one around, and can fly over private land)

O3 on the DJI FPV will help get over (a) , and FPV goggles will presumably negate the the issue of (b)
also I think the whole FPV will make the flying experience alot more fun.
it feels like the DJI FPV will be perfect upgrade from the mavic air- more fun flying, pretty decent camera.
( I rarely/never use automated fly modes on the MA)

however... its an expensive drone, and seems to be doubts on how easy/cheap it would be to repair.
I can see myself being pretty conservative when flying it, at least for quite a while, keeping mainly in Sports mode I guess.

so Im wondering, can I get a cheaper (/stronger) FPV drone, that I could use alongside the DJI FPV.
BUT use with the controller and goggles I get with the DJI FPV?
something Id be more confident to throw around, and fix if it hits a tree.
( I get that the controller/googles would obviously have only basic functionality ... as obviously things like sensors are on the drone)

I've read some talk of the dji air unit.. which sounds like the kind of thing Id need? but Ive no experience of buidling a drone - so its a bit unclear.
(I guess, we may also need to wait for a new updated air unit for O3?/v2 goggles)

Im thinking this way, the 2nd drone would help me gain experience in fpv/'manual mode' whilst still enjoy the DJI FPV.

thoughts?

Reactions: Tjohn and A.O.
Yes it sounds like a good fit to your style. You can use other drones with the DJI FPV system installed, or with a standard analog link when you connect a receiver to the goggles.

The live image on the DJI FPV is as good as it gets and great for enjoying the flight, and the overall results are what it would take a lot of tuning and adjutments on a homemade craft.

thanks thats sounds perfect...

a couple dumb newbie question:

a) so if I have the DJI FPV, basically the controller and googles with work with any drone that has a DJI air unit installed - correct?

b) is the existing DJI Air Unit compatible with the new v2 Goggles/Controller (using O3?) - I guess backwards compatible (Occusync 2?)

c) is it likely a a new DJI air unit (v2) will be released?
so would it be worth waiting for this - as I assumed this would be O3 (rather than Occusync v2)

(Im sure I'll have plenty of fun with the DJI FPV, so could wait for a few months for a DJI Air Unit v2 if that makes sense)

btw: if anyone knows a good place for PnP quads in Europe, that be useful...
but I can search the forum, im sure this has been discussed before :)

a) The goggles yes, the remote no from what I've read so far, guess an update might add support?

b) Yes the goggles have a backwards compatibility mode

c) maybe?

thanks thats sounds perfect...

a couple dumb newbie question:

a) so if I have the DJI FPV, basically the controller and googles with work with any drone that has a DJI air unit installed - correct?

b) is the existing DJI Air Unit compatible with the new v2 Goggles/Controller (using O3?) - I guess backwards compatible (Occusync 2?)

c) is it likely a a new DJI air unit (v2) will be released?
so would it be worth waiting for this - as I assumed this would be O3 (rather than Occusync v2)

(Im sure I'll have plenty of fun with the DJI FPV, so could wait for a few months for a DJI Air Unit v2 if that makes sense)

btw: if anyone knows a good place for PnP quads in Europe, that be useful...
but I can search the forum, im sure this has been discussed before :)

@Kilrah is correct...

A) The DJI FPV goggles v2 that come with the new DJI FPV drone work with all existing DJI compatible digital VTX including the air unit and the caddx vista VTX with all the camera options (currently 6). Switching from the DJI FPV drone to the air unit requires going into the goggles and switching operating modes then rebooting the goggles.

B) The new radio that ships with the DJI drone is not currently working with the air unit. I've contacted DJI for a comment on possible time frame and will update when I hear back. I would expect a firmware update is forthcoming to enable this.

C) There are no indications (information from DJI or FCC filings etc.) that indicate an Air unit V2 is coming any time soon. The potential for a V2 with possible Occusync 3.0 and 810p video is interesting and technically possible, but not very likely for a little while at least as DJI will want to focus all attention on the new drone and it's improved specs over anything else in the market.

There are many great BNF FPV racing drones that are great out of the box such as the iFLight Nazgul5 v2 HD, the iFlight Cidoras HD, the Flywoo Mr Croc HD or Vampire HD. the HGLRC Sector 5 etc... These are all 5in drones that weighs 690g-780g. Depending on your local laws and regulations, you will want to chose an appropriate drone. There are several sub 250g drones popping up that are really great as well.

I wouldn't wait for the air unit V2 unless you are prepared to wait a couple months at the very least. Once we see FCC filings drop, then we might be 1-2 months away. In the meantime, start thinking about what radio you think yuo want and get some practice in a simulator.

Good luck and keep up posted on your progress!

Hi,

Ive currently got a Mavic Air (mk1) which I bought mainly for photography, but after a while I found that I actually just loved to fly it - more thant the photography side :)

However, I have few issues with it
a) Wifi - Ive never had any issues with it, but the signal variability makes me nervouces.
b) bright sunlight makes the phone display barely readable
( I live in Southern Spain, so the sun is very bright much of the year, so this is a big issue for me)
c) looking at the phone, I find it easy to lose sight of the drone (Mavic Air), or get disoriented
( I live in a very remote area, no-one around, and can fly over private land)

O3 on the DJI FPV will help get over (a) , and FPV goggles will presumably negate the the issue of (b)
also I think the whole FPV will make the flying experience alot more fun.
it feels like the DJI FPV will be perfect upgrade from the mavic air- more fun flying, pretty decent camera.
( I rarely/never use automated fly modes on the MA)

however... its an expensive drone, and seems to be doubts on how easy/cheap it would be to repair.
I can see myself being pretty conservative when flying it, at least for quite a while, keeping mainly in Sports mode I guess.

so Im wondering, can I get a cheaper (/stronger) FPV drone, that I could use alongside the DJI FPV.
BUT use with the controller and goggles I get with the DJI FPV?
something Id be more confident to throw around, and fix if it hits a tree.
( I get that the controller/googles would obviously have only basic functionality ... as obviously things like sensors are on the drone)

I've read some talk of the dji air unit.. which sounds like the kind of thing Id need? but Ive no experience of buidling a drone - so its a bit unclear.
(I guess, we may also need to wait for a new updated air unit for O3?/v2 goggles)

Im thinking this way, the 2nd drone would help me gain experience in fpv/'manual mode' whilst still enjoy the DJI FPV.

thoughts?

You honestly sound exactly like the target market DJI intended for this product. You are looking for the thrill of flight, coming from a Mavic but have no FPV experience. A lot of people will get this drone as their first FPV experience then some people will want and will then come over to the dark side and fly racing drones to build their ACRO skills before trying to fly the new DJI drone in manual mode.

Popping over from the Mavic forum. Hoping this is a good “next“ drone for me. Brief history, put money down on the Lily but got refunded when DJI announced the Mavic Pro. Mavic Pro from basically day one then a Mini and fianally the Air 2. I enjoy the flying but not so much the editing (best example MotoChase). My DJI FPV arrives on Monday; new drone day is almost as good as new Bike or Moto day!

I’m really looking forward to the immersive flight experience in Normal and Sport mode. My intention is to spend lots of time on the sim before getting into Manual or Acro.

Also really hoping the remote will get the Air Unit support so I can get a true FPV kit or pre built.

Popping over from the Mavic forum. Hoping this is a good “next“ drone for me. Brief history, put money down on the Lily but got refunded when DJI announced the Mavic Pro. Mavic Pro from basically day one then a Mini and fianally the Air 2. I enjoy the flying but not so much the editing (best example MotoChase). My DJI FPV arrives on Monday; new drone day is almost as good as new Bike or Moto day!

I’m really looking forward to the immersive flight experience in Normal and Sport mode. My intention is to spend lots of time on the sim before getting into Manual or Acro.

Also really hoping the remote will get the Air Unit support so I can get a true FPV kit or pre built.
You will really enjoy the new DJI FPV. It's quite good. I would suggest that if and when you want to try manual, you definitely try the DJI sim or other sims like DRL, Liftoff etc. Hopefully by then DJI will have updated the firmware for support of the air unit with the new radio and you can get a good BNF racing drone to hone your skills in ACRO. The DJI FPV drone is only be suitable in manual mode for experienced pilots.

Im just waiting for DJI to approve my VAT registration.... so I can order - so been watching more videos :)

wow, the more I watch, the more controversial it is...
I guess the difficulty is, bring a hybrid between FPV and camera drone, enthusiasts in both camps are saying its not for them ... the Air2 is better for photography, a full fpv for acro/fpv.

main issues seem to be
a) hard/expensive to fix if you crash
b) camera stabalisation/no 24,30fps for cinematography
c) not as agile as a true-fpv...

I guess these are all deliberate compromises.
ready to use, one camera , big battery for longer fly time.

on the good side... everyone does still seem impressed with the googles/fpv/O3.
(and battery life seems pretty reasonable)

anyway, hoping my registration comes thru soon so I can order, but its giving me lots of time to further research.

I cannot really see an alternative at the moment thought.
I think mainly because the immersive/quality googles and reliability of O3, feel important to me.
(though I can totally see myself getting another acro drone to hone my skills with)

I think mainly because the immersive/quality googles and reliability of O3, feel important to me.
IMO the gorgeous goggles and HD live view and the pause button are the key features nothing else comes even close. And the great quality recorded footage that can be very dynamic without spending weeks tuning a custom quad...

I've already talked to several people that crashed their new DJI FPV drones and at least today, there is only one option for repair and that's sending it in to DJI. I haven't got official confirmation on prices yet, but it definitely won't be cheap. Until DJI starts offering the most frequently breakable parts (arms, landing gear/antennas, motors etc.) at a reasonable price direct to consumer, I suspect there will be many unhappy customers with a much lighter wallet. I am communicating with three people in this situation and will report back on actual costs of repairs.

I've already talked to several people that crashed their new DJI FPV drones and at least today, there is only one option for repair and that's sending it in to DJI. I haven't got official confirmation on prices yet, but it definitely won't be cheap. Until DJI starts offering the most frequently breakable parts (arms, landing gear/antennas, motors etc.) at a reasonable price direct to consumer, I suspect there will be many unhappy customers with a much lighter wallet. I am communicating with three people in this situation and will report back on actual costs of repairs.
It will be interesting to know specific circumstances of each crash. Experienced FPV pilots pushing it in full acro, experienced Mavic pilots jumping into manual mode to soon on some one totally new to drones. Intresting to see what flight mode they were in. Basically looking for evidence to convince me from acting irrationally and jumping into manual mode too soon.

It will be interesting to know specific circumstances of each crash. Experienced FPV pilots pushing it in full acro, experienced Mavic pilots jumping into manual mode to soon on some one totally new to drones. Intresting to see what flight mode they were in. Basically looking for evidence to convince me from acting irrationally and jumping into manual mode too soon.
I know the details of the circumstances for two of the three. One clipped a straggler while passing too close to some trees and fell 10 to the frozen ground breaking an arm. Sounds like bad luck and the impact was completely taken on the back left arm. Not broken right through but it left the arm canted severely. The other was in manual mode coming in to land like a traditional FPV drone and motors weren't killed while he caught the ground still moving forward and the drone flipped over props still going and it tumbled a few times pretty violently before coming to a halt. I tried to ascertain the details of his specific radio commands, but he is confused as to what happened exactly. Apparently he tried to come in to land then do stick in to kill the motors, but the quad flipped over before the motors stopped due to his momentum and he panicked releasing the sticks too soon. Front left arm has enough damage that it isn't flyable. Sounds like a rookie mistake to me.

Landing in FPV in acro mode has always been sketchy and there's no reason to do it with this aircraft, much better to flip to N mode and land nice and smooth, optionally removing the goggles and hand catching.

ouch @droneguy ... I feel for them, after all we all make mistakes :(

I wonder if in (at least) the first instance if the arm braces would have helped?
(there seems to be little talk on these... I think possibly not available yet?)

Whilst sad to hear about crashed drones, I am interested to hear how many after just unlucky (I think clipping a tree branch is unlucky) vs inexperience/avoidable.

Im finding it hard to understand how likely I am to crash..

Ive never crashed my Air (or even come close) , and Im pretty conservative.

but I can definitely understand more experienced FPV pilots saying ... you will fly this one differently, so it has more risk.
of course, unlike some of these, Im not planning on ACRO... but I can see as I get more experienced flying closer to the ground, or between trees... I guess thats part of the FPV fun, rather than crusing a 20m above the ground. ... so I can see how an accident could happen, even if you are generally careful
I guess, easy for me to say now, I'll mainly stay in S mode, but once my confidence builds, and the thrill kicks in, how long before I push it...
( I can see me doing a ton of practice in S, on sim first.... but still, one small misjudgement....)

I do agree though, Id love to see more spare parts readily available.

also I still cant see an alternative, Ive looked at other FPV google views... and now they dont look like the experience im looking for.
(also I want more than 4-5 mins in the air!)

ouch @droneguy ... I feel for them, after all we all make mistakes :(

I wonder if in (at least) the first instance if the arm braces would have helped?
(there seems to be little talk on these... I think possibly not available yet?)

Whilst sad to hear about crashed drones, I am interested to hear how many after just unlucky (I think clipping a tree branch is unlucky) vs inexperience/avoidable.

Im finding it hard to understand how likely I am to crash..

Ive never crashed my Air (or even come close) , and Im pretty conservative.

but I can definitely understand more experienced FPV pilots saying ... you will fly this one differently, so it has more risk.
of course, unlike some of these, Im not planning on ACRO... but I can see as I get more experienced flying closer to the ground, or between trees... I guess thats part of the FPV fun, rather than crusing a 20m above the ground. ... so I can see how an accident could happen, even if you are generally careful
I guess, easy for me to say now, I'll mainly stay in S mode, but once my confidence builds, and the thrill kicks in, how long before I push it...
( I can see me doing a ton of practice in S, on sim first.... but still, one small misjudgement....)

I do agree though, Id love to see more spare parts readily available.

also I still cant see an alternative, Ive looked at other FPV google views... and now they dont look like the experience im looking for.
(also I want more than 4-5 mins in the air!)

I think these are both examples of unfortunate, but preventable accidents.

Landing in FPV in acro mode has always been sketchy and there's no reason to do it with this aircraft, much better to flip to N mode and land nice and smooth, optionally removing the goggles and hand catching.
Agreed!

My order has now been placed with DJI ... so just a short wait for delivery, very excited.
thank you to those here, for helping me make a decision.

Reactions: Kilrah
You honestly sound exactly like the target market DJI intended for this product. You are looking for the thrill of flight, coming from a Mavic but have no FPV experience. A lot of people will get this drone as their first FPV experience then some people will want and will then come over to the dark side and fly racing drones to build their ACRO skills before trying to fly the new DJI drone in manual mode.
That's pretty much where I am. I haven't put the FPV into Manual yet, too scared (because not skilled enough yet).

My first manual, acro mode flight will be with my A85 tinywhoop. I'll be honing my skills on that little guy and getting comfortable before I try it on the FPV.

I can crash the A85 forever and fix it myself, again and again, at relatively little expense. I expect I'll have a fair collection of broken A85 parts, some stuff I've designed and printed myself, etc. before the DJI FPV goes manual.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax