Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

M mode not activating

thetechnobear

Reaction score
Does anyone know why M mode sometimes (10%?) refuses to activate ? is there a reason?

so I switch to M, it gives me the crosshairs, I line it up perfectly - but it refuses to enter M mode.
usually, I then just switch to S, redo process and it works...

I have one theory, which im still trying to prove/disprove...
I think the idea of this second step is to get you into a position where on entering M you are in a hover.
My theory is, this might be occuring when I have a stronger cross wind, so perhaps its not happy that Id hover with the position shown.
So im trying to turn head into the wind, to do the switch , to see if this helps.

of course, this could be just a bug...

(Ive seen it mentioned on a couple of reviews - but its not been discussed much)

Are you saying that your centering the sticks and its still not taking you into M mode. ?

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your FPV in the Rain and Land in Water.

I think the few times it didn't let me switch to M it judged signal wasn't good enough as it was always fixed by flying a bit closer first.

Does anyone know why M mode sometimes (10%?) refuses to activate ? is there a reason?

so I switch to M, it gives me the crosshairs, I line it up perfectly - but it refuses to enter M mode.
usually, I then just switch to S, redo process and it works...

I have one theory, which im still trying to prove/disprove...
I think the idea of this second step is to get you into a position where on entering M you are in a hover.
My theory is, this might be occuring when I have a stronger cross wind, so perhaps its not happy that Id hover with the position shown.
So im trying to turn head into the wind, to do the switch , to see if this helps.

of course, this could be just a bug...

(Ive seen it mentioned on a couple of reviews - but its not been discussed much)
Get your thumb off the panic button!!! ? Sorry.. Hope you figure it out!!!

lol... no im not holding any buttons.
its got perfect 4 bar signal on both hd/rc

as, I said, if I flip it back to S, then back to M ... the procedure works fine.
(so, not position or user error, since both stay the same)

I'll try a few things next time its does it... usually Im just keen to get flying so just redo the procedure.

Go to your controller settings, look for the C2 switch settings. Change it from SPORT to MANUAL.
By default, M position is set to SPORT as a safeguard. Hope that helps.

please guys , read my posts
Ive been flying in M mode for quite a few days, and as I pointed out (above) I could get into M mode by repeating the procedure.
this is not 'user error' - its some situation where for a reason Im not sure, it decides not to enter M mode.

as mentioned, it seems to be when its windy.... hence why I think its possibly the drone thinking its not quite stable enough to switch.
but it could just be a quirk/bug in the firmware.

(and it happens irregularly for me too... so its quite possible others will not be seeing it)

Just done 4 more flights and had it repeatedly emergency stop and then say "unable to switch to M mode" again, always over the same forest area. I've had a look and it happens to be the border of a warning zone. I can fly inside of and outside of the zone no problem but it seems it'll always stop and prevent switching to M when on the boundary itself.

The other place I saw it happens to be too, so that's it understood. Would consider it a bug.

Reactions: thetechnobear
I think its the GEO fence or maybe sensors seeing the sun as an object like others except theres no auto stop.

Ive had it happen and it used to be worse, it still occurs in some areas but I think I was on the edges of geo fencing.
Go to fly-safe website and sign in, fill out the geo fence permit in your area just to make sure its unlocked fully I noticed its much more buggy and sometimes I have to reupload the geo fence permit to the drone for me to take off.

If you are in an altitude limit area, the drone won't fly in manual nor will it remain in manual if you are within approx 150' of the limit. So if you are in a 400' limit area, the drone won't enter manual or stay in manual over, say 250'.

yeah, none of these apply to me... I was at around 35m (no max limit set), and no where near any geofence areas, was also facing away from the sun.

all that said - strangely, Ive not had it for the last few days, and Ive put in alot of M mode flights.
it has been a little less windy/gusty, and more experience, so perhaps my inputs are a bit steadier...
or just coincidence :)

yeah, none of these apply to me... I was at around 35m (no max limit set), and no where near any geofence areas, was also facing away from the sun.

all that said - strangely, Ive not had it for the last few days, and Ive put in alot of M mode flights.
it has been a little less windy/gusty, and more experience, so perhaps my inputs are a bit steadier...
or just coincidence :)
I didn't read all the responses but do you have "Attitude Limit" turned off? Also, I had similar issues until I did an IMU and Compass calibration. Might be worth a try.

Might have just been that you were still barely moving the right stick from center, that's enough to prevent it from switching, letting go of it completely helps

I saw the "Unable to switch to M mode" message also. In this particular case I believe it's because I bumped into the Max distance setting. In the graph below the teal background represents M mode and the red plot is the distance to the home point. When the distance reached 460 meters the FPV would drop out of M mode.
1620655005722.png

Also, when this happens the eventLog contains
93.177 : 7377 [L-N_MIS]Enter exit state: 1.|
93.182 : 7378 [L-DBG1]M_mode_emer_brake_near_boundary:1
93.182 : 7378 [L-N_MIS]req abort all for Boundary limit
93.182 : 7378 [L-N_MIS]Fail to abort all

Actually, the Max distance setting is 500 meters. So it appears there is a built in 40 meter buffer.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax