Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Maintaining Altitude (newbie Q)

burghguy

Reaction score
Hello. Very newbie question here, as I've been flying a Mavic 2 Pro for a while, but never something like a fpv. I'm using the simulator Liftoff FPV to try to learn this but the most noticeable difference is I can't maintain altitude. So am I correct that if you're flying a Cinewhoop, you can't hover? Do you constantly work the throttle to try to maintain an altitude or how would you cruise for instance? Very different, and very confusing, so I want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Reactions: mrmund
You can hover but it requires constant input on both sticks. It definitely makes you appreciate how good the tech in a DJI qwad is(and how bad I pilot I was even after 4 years of flying DJI). Try it with a your cinewoop. Start line of sight first to get a feel for it. Once you have a sense try it with the goggles. Pick a fixed point of reference like a lamppost or tree and focus on that so you have a sense of height and distance.
A lot of people recommend starting in acro mode but I started with stabilized mode and switched to acro after I could cruise around a bit. Throttle modulation is one of the hardest things to master
Keep practicing and you'll soon have the hang of it.

Reactions: tevek
Worth noting throttle mid and expo will greatly help here as it will increase stick resolution where it's needed

You can hover but it requires constant input on both sticks. It definitely makes you appreciate how good the tech in a DJI qwad is(and how bad I pilot I was even after 4 years of flying DJI). Try it with a your cinewoop. Start line of sight first to get a feel for it. Once you have a sense try it with the goggles. Pick a fixed point of reference like a lamppost or tree and focus on that so you have a sense of height and distance.
A lot of people recommend starting in acro mode but I started with stabilized mode and switched to acro after I could cruise around a bit. Throttle modulation is one of the hardest things to master
Keep practicing and you'll soon have the hang of it.
Thanks for the advice and information - greatly appreciated.

Worth noting throttle mid and expo will greatly help here as it will increase stick resolution where it's needed
Having the same issue, I took out my new Cinewhoop that I built and I'm having trouble maintaining a constant altitude. It was a bit windy and the drone was leaning heavily into the wind. When moving forward at speed it seems easier to maintain altitude. Any particular throttle and expo settings that would help?

Well if it's leaning heavily into the wind then you are technically moving forward at speed :)
But if the wind is gusty then that's all the more work you have to do on the throttle as any wind change will change the amount of thrust you need to maintain your altitude.

Thanks! I also couldn’t commit to my FPV goggles, I took them off right away so I could watch the drone. It was a pretty large area, but lined with trees on one side. I think the wind and coming from a DJI Phantom makes me want to see the drone.

Its alot like balancing a bb on a bowling ball.
The best advice is to not wait to react but make every move happen on purpose. Get ahead not behind. If you wait to react than your doomed.
My sticks are always moving, especially in a hover.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larcas