Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Precision Landing?

rktman

Reaction score
I know it seems to go against the "culture" of the FPV community, but I wonder if DJI will add Precision Landing to the FPV in a future firmware release? The FPV has two downward facing cameras for VPS, same as the Mavics the have the PL feature, so it should be (in theory) fairly little engineering to port it over (heck, probably in the codebase for the FPV already, just disabled).

I'm guessing it's not there yet simply because of time-to-market constraints, and it will be enabled, tested, and modified as necessary in some future firmware release. Anyone have any thoughts on why this would not be possible on the FPV?

Would be nice for crusty old pilots like myself that lazily use RTH to come home and land.

Reactions: CrocMonster
I rarely use the RTH but what you are saying would be nice on this bird!

As an inveterate lazy RTHer, I gotta say it's really nice having it land within an inch of takeoff, right in the center of the landing pad.

Mine comes back pretty darn close. Within 12 inches i would say
You haven't had a poor satellite configuration on landing yet, And Had it land 10' away ? Doesn't happen often, but when it does it's scary!

I would like to see the landing function like other DJI i have. Also more settings on external viewing device very hard to setup in goggles. I mounted a phone to a front chest gimbal mount so I could take off and land easier. This FPV is very prone to wind at low speed very hard to control. only 5 flighs so far.

What do you find more difficult in takeoff and landing with the FPV? are you in N mode?

Yes N mode take off is more unstable for me. Drone flipped up on one side on one of 5 take offs I was able to power correct.
It was windy and from what I see this FPV drone does not like wind. Or it could be me I am used to my Inspire 2 though my Mini 2 seems more stable then the FPV

Yes N mode take off is more unstable for me. Drone flipped up on one side on one of 5 take offs I was able to power correct.
It was windy and from what I see this FPV drone does not like wind. Or it could be me I am used to my Inspire 2 though my Mini 2 seems more stable then the FPV

Ive never had mine flip over on take off or land, even with some pretty strong winds.
(I live in the mountains, so the wind can pick up quite quickly at times)

perhaps try to re-calibrate the IMU?

the fpv doesn't hover as 'accurately' as my dji air did, and indeed on landing i see it move around a little more - but really its only a few centimeters, nothing to worry about.
(whereas my Air was completely stationary :))

but the FPV in flight wind performance, feels much better - even when Ive been getting high velocity warnings - Ive hardly noticed any drop in performance, and its stable.

i think generally the fpv is little more twitchy than the Air - probably because it has so much more power, so my control input need to be a bit more delicate.

Ive a feeling some of this might be improved in firmware updates. e.g. we dont have rate/exp control for N/S mode currently - which might be handy.
similarly there seems to be no precision landing, so perhaps the downward sensors are not tracking as well as they are on the mavic series - and perhaps can be improved.

anyway overall, for me, there is no comparison , the fpv flies much better than my Air did - and I feel much safer with it when the wind picks up.

I was thinking it was at least as stable as my MA2 was if not more!

Let me clarify it did not flip over it lifted up on the right side and a just gave it more throttle and corrected.

Hmmm... Wonder if different aspects of "stability" are being blended around here?

I find the FPV to be just as stable in terms of Position Hold as all my other DJI drones, (all the Mavics, Airs, DJI MIni, etc. etc. blah blah blah, I'm experienced, like most of you :rolleyes:?). It's got the same hardware and firmware, after all.

However, when comparing in-camera view, it looks horribly UNSTABLE on landing, for example, compared to a Mini 2.

Of course -- single axis gimbal vs. 3-axis. When the Mini 2 is descending straight down, there's all sorts of turbulence sufficient to gyrate the camera view all over the place.

Be amazed at the stability of the DJI 3-axis gimbal for a moment.

Then, go out and take-off and land a few times using just naked eyes and see if the aircraft looks more wild and unstable to you than your Mini (2). I swear my Mini 2 looks much less stable making larger corrections than the FPV (i.e. larger pitch/roll movements). Expected, it weighs so much less.

In terms of holding position over the ground, they both seem just as precise and "stable" to my eye.

I beleive most of my concerns are from inexpierence with the FPV drone. It also doesnot help that the wind at ground level was very strong in Chicago area since I started flying the FPV a few days ago.

Thanks for input

PS Might help if I could got video off of it.

Everything functioning normally now (learning curve). I put togather a chest mount rig so I can use the screen on my device to fly as well as googles. Works well however, do not like all the wires hopefully DJI will come out with a tablet mount for controller:

Attachments

• 20210501_101046.jpg
    20210501_101046.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
  • 20210501_101033.jpg
    20210501_101033.jpg
    843.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 20210501_101006.jpg
    20210501_101006.jpg
    965 KB · Views: 3
  • 20210501_094253.jpg
    20210501_094253.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
Nice!

One of the biggest mistakes DJI made so far with the FPV was not supporting the normal phone screen mode of flying. I suspect it will come in a future firmware update, but since the RC has no way to mount the phone, maybe not ?

I agree completly. I can design and build a mount however, you still have that cable from USB and the battery line. Hope they (DJI) address it . They need the controller like they use on there other drones. Real pain having the wires wraping around the chair I sit in.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larcas