Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Problem Solving

Arkansas Drone Pilot

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Finally got my 250 reprogrammed and it would start when I crossed the control levers and was happy about that. However, When I took it outside to fly after proigramming only 3 of the four motors would spin up at the same time and the third motor, was not that fast either. So what would cause this to happen. ESC or Motor? When I last flew the quad it landed in some wet ground and threw up water, but was not in water, this was before I had to reprogram everything.

Recommendations: 1. Replace ESC or all of them.
2. Replace Motor/s in question.

Which would you suggest?

Reactions: clackey
Try switching out the motor to one of the esc's that you know work. Water shouldn't cause a problem for the motor but it can for the esc.

Reactions: clackey
Ark,

I'm sure you've already done this but sometimes we forget the simple things. Did you try calibrating and syncing the ESC's? Just a thought before you start replacing things.

Jerry

If you mean did I format each motor, yes. Meaning that I used the OpenPIlot to run up each motor as the format stated. I think minimum rpm was right around 1115. Will do as already suggested and disconnect the slow motor and hook it up to a good one to see if it is the ESC or not.

thanks for the suggestion.

If you mean did I format each motor, yes. Meaning that I used the OpenPIlot to run up each motor as the format stated. I think minimum rpm was right around 1115. Will do as already suggested and disconnect the slow motor and hook it up to a good one to see if it is the ESC or not.

I don't run the same kit, but...

I use betaflight and BLHeli ESCs, and the calibration procedure is to power the FC with USB, then set throttle to max (i do this inside betaflight motor tab but you could use your radio I believe), then plug in the main battery and the ESCs will do some beeps. Then set throttle to zero, and they will beep again (if memory serves, I am not 100% on this part). Hope this helps.

May have found a simple solution to my problem. Found two props loose and one unbelievalbly loose, heck, it spun around really easy. I thought they were all really tight, but found out otherwise when I thought I would change things.

May have found a simple solution to my problem. Found two props loose and one unbelievalbly loose, heck, it spun around really easy. I thought they were all really tight, but found out otherwise when I thought I would change things.

That is good news. But, don't forget ALWAYS CALIBRATE ESCs WITH THE PROPS OFF! Injury can easily result if not. Good luck!

That was why the props were loose, I had removed them to calibrate the ESC's and evidently had not tightened them enough.

While I suppose OpenPilot is still usable - its basically its dead in the water - it will never be updated - the people who created it have had "differences of opinion" and abandoned it ieforum closed down and all or most of the support is removed - videos locked out etc,.
Change to LibrePilot and upgrade (do not Upgrade and Erase your FC - it should retain your setup...but if not - see last para..

The advice given ( by the guys above) is sound - you need to re-calibrate your ESC/Motors.

A simple way in LibrePilot ( and probably OpenPilot) is simply go to the Motors page - link all your motors ( tick box on right of page) move to Max - then -you need to plug in a battery (props OFF obviously) - but as soon as you do and hear the ESC beeps drag the sliders to zero.
You can then unlink the motors and use the sliders to check the start point of each motor and save them. In most cases, all motors should have the same start point.
Check this - ESC Calibration - LibrePilot Documentation - Confluence

Another suggestion is - if you have set up everything as you like it...PIDs etc,. unless you are confident you can do so again and again... maybe take screen shots of each page in your GCS (OpenPilot now - LP later..) It saves a lot of time later.

I really appreciate your help. I saved the Open Pilot quite a while ago, but just never took much time to get the quad up and flying since I have 5 Phantoms, from the P2 to the P4 but have held off on the Mavic. I will eventually flip over and check out the LIIBRE Documentation. I just really hope that once I do switch over to the Libre that it will help with the stabilization problem, inherit to the Open Pilot. Only time will tell I guess. I just bought a racer from Bangood, the 220 ? something or another, so will be asking on how to link it up to my Spektrum controller in the near future. thanks for all the help

I really appreciate your help. I saved the Open Pilot quite a while ago, but just never took much time to get the quad up and flying since I have 5 Phantoms, from the P2 to the P4 but have held off on the Mavic. I will eventually flip over and check out the LIIBRE Documentation. I just really hope that once I do switch over to the Libre that it will help with the stabilization problem, inherit to the Open Pilot. Only time will tell I guess. I just bought a racer from Bangood, the 220 ? something or another, so will be asking on how to link it up to my Spektrum controller in the near future. thanks for all the help
The "stable" version of LibrePilot is currently listed as 15.09 - BUT I am using the beta 16.09 RC2 ( Release Candidate - 16.09 RC2 Now available for testing )- which is better and mainly dealing with the Revolution/Revo FC and added GPS modules. Which from my feeble attempts - needs a degree in Physics and and a good grounding maths! No simple plug n play GPS here! Today I just finished off a 450 size frame - 2212 - 920KV motors 30A ESC.
Run through the set up, went out back to test it... at "hover" about 10 feet up...just a hint of slow wobble and a tendency to yaw on forwards or back moves.... tweaked the integral down and tested again.... and it behaves well.
My wife thinks I am loosing the plot! I spend hours making and then tweaking what are basically low cost quads/multi rotors and trying to get them stable - while my Phantom P3 sits in its travel box doing nothing!

I buy most of my gear from BangGood and find them pretty good considering the reputation of the Chinese online stores ( most are drop shippers really) . BG sell a lot of Eachine stuff..... if yours is one of these.... start to order replacements arms and a PDB deck - they break easily. Rotor Riot have a YouTube video where they "tested" a couple - and they do not really give a positive review. BUT they way those guys fly...its a wonder they lasted 4 minutes!

The "stable" version of LibrePilot is currently listed as 15.09 - BUT I am using the beta 16.09 RC2 ( Release Candidate - 16.09 RC2 Now available for testing )- which is better and mainly dealing with the Revolution/Revo FC and added GPS modules. Which from my feeble attempts - needs a degree in Physics and and a good grounding maths! No simple plug n play GPS here! Today I just finished off a 450 size frame - 2212 - 920KV motors 30A ESC.
Run through the set up, went out back to test it... at "hover" about 10 feet up...just a hint of slow wobble and a tendency to yaw on forwards or back moves.... tweaked the integral down and tested again.... and it behaves well.
My wife thinks I am loosing the plot! I spend hours making and then tweaking what are basically low cost quads/multi rotors and trying to get them stable - while my Phantom P3 sits in its travel box doing nothing!

I buy most of my gear from BangGood and find them pretty good considering the reputation of the Chinese online stores ( most are drop shippers really) . BG sell a lot of Eachine stuff..... if yours is one of these.... start to order replacements arms and a PDB deck - they break easily. Rotor Riot have a YouTube video where they "tested" a couple - and they do not really give a positive review. BUT they way those guys fly...its a wonder they lasted 4 minutes!

Eachine Wizard X220 FPV Racing Drone Blheli_S F3 6DOF 2205 2300KV Motors 5.8G 48CH 200MW VTX ARF

This is the racer I bought from BG and am a bit pissed because it is on B.O. and won't ship out till late in the month. I watched revue by a guy on Utube and it was a pretty thorough revue from what I could tell, then a couple of other revues and the same thing, everyone seemed to be positive on this racer. I have a set of FatShark's and don't know if I can get them to sync with the racer then a Spektrum DX6 I will need to get synced with it, so could use your help if your up to it.

Eachine Wizard X220 FPV Racing Drone Blheli_S F3 6DOF 2205 2300KV Motors 5.8G 48CH 200MW VTX ARF

This is the racer I bought from BG and am a bit pissed because it is on B.O. and won't ship out till late in the month. I watched revue by a guy on Utube and it was a pretty thorough revue from what I could tell, then a couple of other revues and the same thing, everyone seemed to be positive on this racer. I have a set of FatShark's and don't know if I can get them to sync with the racer then a Spektrum DX6 I will need to get synced with it, so could use your help if your up to it.

Fatsharks should be no problem. Just search for the signal and if you don't see it, set the dip switches on the VTX to a freq the fatsharks list on their freq table.

For the spektrum, you will just need to pop a spectrum receiver in and bind it.

Which model or number Reciever would you suggest for the new Quad? Binding I have done before, but has been awhile so may have to YouTube for some help. Thanks Brother

Which model or number Reciever would you suggest for the new Quad? Binding I have done before, but has been awhile so may have to YouTube for some help. Thanks Brother

Hmm, it looks like there may be two versions of the DX6 out there, you might want to double check that info I posted. Do you know if your transmitter supports the DSMX standard?

If your transmitter is the newer one with the orange on the sticks and the screen at the bottom, any DSMX receiver will do. If it has the screen at the top (park flyer), you need an older DSM receiver that are a bit harder to find. This is just what I found by research, I haven't used them myself.

Reactions: Jtrjr
Green,

I've been reading all of your posts, you're a real helpful guy. Thank you! I'm fairly new to this FPV racing stuff but I've been flying Phantoms and others for a while now. I'm in the "24 hour a day learning stage right now". I'm sure I'll be looking for help along the way as well and just wanted to thank you for the help you're providing to other new members.

Jerry

Reactions: theGreenOrange
Green,

I've been reading all of your posts, you're a real helpful guy. Thank you! I'm fairly new to this FPV racing stuff but I've been flying Phantoms and others for a while now. I'm in the "24 hour a day learning stage right now". I'm sure I'll be looking for help along the way as well and just wanted to thank you for the help you're providing to other new members.

Jerry

Thanks man, I recently started too but as you can see I got bit hard by this bug! But I have been doing RC on and off for 30 years, and I have an Electrical Engineering background which helps a bit. Now, if I can just figure out how to do all that fancy flying... xD

Reactions: Jtrjr

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax