Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Questions as a DJI FPV user buying an Avata…

boldblue737

Reaction score
I ordered the Avata with the full up Goggles 2 kit, and fly more. I already own the DJI FPV and I‘m considering if I plan on keeping it or selling it (or parts of the kit.) This led to some questions…

1. Will the goggles 2 work with the DJI FPV (or is there an update coming to allow it?) If so I can sell my older, larger DJI FPV goggles and in theory keep the DJI FPV drone if I want.

2. It seems the Avata in all combos does NOT come with a FPV controller, only the Motion Controller. I have seen numerous videos on YouTube with people controlling the Avata in full manual mode using the FPV controller, yet during the purchase process I was never once offered the option to add the FPV controller to purchase which was very weird. Now obviously I have an FPV controller from the DJI FPV but hopefully this functionality is ready day 1 right?

3. Any thoughts from DJI FPV users on if you plan to also keep your FPV? I’m on the fence, I like the faster speed but honestly I always flew it rather “boringly“ because I was so afraid of crashing it so it leaves me wondering if I’ll ever use it once I have a much smaller, more portable, better camera, better stabilization, and far more durable FPV drone. Is there any resale market for selling the drone (and batteries) ONLY but not the googles or FPV controller? Perhaps considering many crash these but if the value is super low for just the drone only maybe I just keep it at that point. Thoughts?

Thanks everyone.

I ordered the Avata with the full up Goggles 2 kit, and fly more. I already own the DJI FPV and I‘m considering if I plan on keeping it or selling it (or parts of the kit.) This led to some questions…

1. Will the goggles 2 work with the DJI FPV (or is there an update coming to allow it?) If so I can sell my older, larger DJI FPV goggles and in theory keep the DJI FPV drone if I want.

2. It seems the Avata in all combos does NOT come with a FPV controller, only the Motion Controller. I have seen numerous videos on YouTube with people controlling the Avata in full manual mode using the FPV controller, yet during the purchase process I was never once offered the option to add the FPV controller to purchase which was very weird. Now obviously I have an FPV controller from the DJI FPV but hopefully this functionality is ready day 1 right?

3. Any thoughts from DJI FPV users on if you plan to also keep your FPV? I’m on the fence, I like the faster speed but honestly I always flew it rather “boringly“ because I was so afraid of crashing it so it leaves me wondering if I’ll ever use it once I have a much smaller, more portable, better camera, better stabilization, and far more durable FPV drone. Is there any resale market for selling the drone (and batteries) ONLY but not the googles or FPV controller? Perhaps considering many crash these but if the value is super low for just the drone only maybe I just keep it at that point. Thoughts?

Thanks everyone.
It appears that all of the FPV equipment/accessories will work with the Avata. Is the charger interchangeable between the two models? That I'm not sure about but it appears to use the same connections - batteries are not interchangeable.
I've seen several lone FPV drones up for sale on FaceBook today. I'm hanging on to mine for the time.
Also this makes it appear very durable!
Ordered mine an hour ago.

Reactions: Halifax
3. Any thoughts from DJI FPV users on if you plan to also keep your FPV?
Really only will be able to tell after trying. I'm expecting a yes because I really doubt the Avata will have the "oomph" for most of the flying I've been doing. Should allow for things the FPV is impractical for though, so pretty complementary. And besides the basic capabilities the FPV is hackable so unless that happens with the Avata at some point it'll still have an edge.

I've been looking at the resale market for DJI FPV and to be honest it hasn't held its value nearly as well as other DJI drones, considering what I think I could get for my DJI FPV I think I'm going to keep it and hopefully to be honest the Avata will help further my skills and confidence (since I never felt I could push limits in the DJI FPV without risking crashes) so in time I can better use the DJI FPV for what it good at (speed, cinematic moves outdoors etc.) and maybe even put my GoPro on it for ReelSteady etc. Still not 100% on the plan but if I'm only going to get 50-60% of the original value on a mint setup I think it is better to keep it...

I was unsure, but now think ill keep the fpv. Different uses i think. Fpv for speed and avata for some close proximity flying.
The controller will work with the avata
Batteries have different terminals

And besides the basic capabilities the FPV is hackable so unless that happens with the Avata at some point it'll still have an edge.
Whoah @Kilrah, link? Does that include PIDs?

As far as selling the FPV drone alone, I would expect that to be a very small market, with low prices. After all, the whole point of the FPV requires goggles.

Reactions: Texas Red

Thanks everyone.
Thanks for prodding me to find the Avata section on this forum! I'm also a current DJI FPV flyer, and I'll be ordering my Avata as soon as I get my first paycheck from my new job...if I can, in fact, wait that long!

1) I've got this same question. The regular FPV goggles will work with the Avata, but I don't know if the G2 goggles will work with the original FPV. Personally I plan to keep my entire DJI FPV package, primarily because I've always wanted to be able to give people "ride along" demo flights, and I need two pair of goggles to do that. I've seen it confirmed that you can use the original FPV goggles in "audience mode" with the Avata, so that's what I'll be doing.

2) My understanding is that your existing FPV controller will work immediately with the Avata. You may need to do a firmware update, and you'll need to re-pair the components, but it should be quick and painless.

3) The DJI FPV and the Avata are two different aircraft, with different capabilities. The Avata is smaller and slicker, but it's a snail compared to the DJI FPV. 60 mph vs 87 mph. I've flown my FPV at 82 mph in my canyon (the best speed I'll get at my elevation), and it's rather substantially more impressive than 60 mph.

I would definitely suggest you keep both!

Below is something I wrote up about the Avata (a spec review only, since I don't have mine yet) before I discovered the Avata section here. Perhaps you'll find it helpful:

For me, it's the way forward.

I just got a new job, and it's been my intention since I accepted the offer on Saturday to buy a new drone when I get my first paycheck.

But which one? The three contenders were:

Mini-2
Avata
Second DJI FPV (for doing ride alongs)

Based on some general commentary here pre-release. I had concluded that I would not get the Avata. That's now reversed, and now I'm certain that's the new drone that I *will* get.

When I watched the DJI promo vid, my response was very strongly, "I'm going to take a closer look at this."

Then I watched the half hour commentary vid by "Original Dobo". I'd never seen him before, and he's really quite good. About 8 minutes in to the 31 minute vid, I said to myself, "I gotta get me one a' these!" So the drone that I'm getting with my first paycheck was no longer in question...it will be an Avata.

But then as I continued watching the vid, something that I hoped was true, turns out to be actually true.

I can use the controller and goggles from my existing DJI FPV with the Avata! He explicitly pointed out that this means if you have those, you can do "ride alongs", using the goggles that come with the DJI FPV, to let someone else watch the vid from the Avata on those goggles, in real time, while I fly it with the new goggles. I've wanted to do that since the first day I flew my DJI FPV!

So now the question is, instead of waiting for my first paycheck, how many days can I hold off before I buy my new Avata?

The price is the only reason for my hesitation. I could just buy the drone alone, and fly it with my existing RC and goggles, and at only $640, I'd do that in a heartbeat, if I thought that was the right answer for me.

But it isn't.

I want/need the second set of goggles for what I want to do. I want to get the IMC eventually. At a price of $1338 (+/-) for the full package, I have to catch my breath. I haven't priced it out yet, but I very strongly suspect that buying the components separately...just the drone now, and the goggles and IMC later...will cost a fair amount more that that. Have any of you priced that out?

I was worried that the Avata might make the existing DJI FPV obsolete, but it won't. For one thing, at 60 mph max speed, it's a snail compared to the 82 mph max for the DJI FPV. I've flown my DJI FPV at 82 mph, and that's very seriously more impressive than 60 mph.

So, the obvious answer is that I need one of each. The only real question is, how long will I hold off before making that happen?

At this point, it looks like DJI has hit a home run with the Avata. Thanks, DJI folks!

So far the Goggles 2 will not work with any other drone besides the Avata, however the FPV Goggles2 will work with the Avata, furthermore it seems that there is an open question from DJI as to whether or not consumers want the Goggles 2 to work with the AIr Unit and Caddx Vista so there is hope that a firmware update in the future will make the G2s more versatile. any of us that wants that should probably hit the DJI Forum and bombard them with requests.

I didn’t get a chance to fly the avata today, but keen to try out the head tracking feature I was unaware of until last night

Reactions: GoodnNuff

This guy says that according to DJI the Goggles 2 would add support for FPV/Mavic 3/Mini 3 through firmware upgrades, no Air unit/vista though.

Would take it with about a mountain of salt though given DJI's track record of following through with such "promises" in the past.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Thanks for prodding me to find the Avata section on this forum! I'm also a current DJI FPV flyer, and I'll be ordering my Avata as soon as I get my first paycheck from my new job...if I can, in fact, wait that long!

1) I've got this same question. The regular FPV goggles will work with the Avata, but I don't know if the G2 goggles will work with the original FPV. Personally I plan to keep my entire DJI FPV package, primarily because I've always wanted to be able to give people "ride along" demo flights, and I need two pair of goggles to do that. I've seen it confirmed that you can use the original FPV goggles in "audience mode" with the Avata, so that's what I'll be doing.

2) My understanding is that your existing FPV controller will work immediately with the Avata. You may need to do a firmware update, and you'll need to re-pair the components, but it should be quick and painless.

3) The DJI FPV and the Avata are two different aircraft, with different capabilities. The Avata is smaller and slicker, but it's a snail compared to the DJI FPV. 60 mph vs 87 mph. I've flown my FPV at 82 mph in my canyon (the best speed I'll get at my elevation), and it's rather substantially more impressive than 60 mph.

I would definitely suggest you keep both!

Below is something I wrote up about the Avata (a spec review only, since I don't have mine yet) before I discovered the Avata section here. Perhaps you'll find it helpful:

For me, it's the way forward.

I just got a new job, and it's been my intention since I accepted the offer on Saturday to buy a new drone when I get my first paycheck.

But which one? The three contenders were:

Mini-2
Avata
Second DJI FPV (for doing ride alongs)

Based on some general commentary here pre-release. I had concluded that I would not get the Avata. That's now reversed, and now I'm certain that's the new drone that I *will* get.

When I watched the DJI promo vid, my response was very strongly, "I'm going to take a closer look at this."

Then I watched the half hour commentary vid by "Original Dobo". I'd never seen him before, and he's really quite good. About 8 minutes in to the 31 minute vid, I said to myself, "I gotta get me one a' these!" So the drone that I'm getting with my first paycheck was no longer in question...it will be an Avata.

But then as I continued watching the vid, something that I hoped was true, turns out to be actually true.

I can use the controller and goggles from my existing DJI FPV with the Avata! He explicitly pointed out that this means if you have those, you can do "ride alongs", using the goggles that come with the DJI FPV, to let someone else watch the vid from the Avata on those goggles, in real time, while I fly it with the new goggles. I've wanted to do that since the first day I flew my DJI FPV!

So now the question is, instead of waiting for my first paycheck, how many days can I hold off before I buy my new Avata?

The price is the only reason for my hesitation. I could just buy the drone alone, and fly it with my existing RC and goggles, and at only $640, I'd do that in a heartbeat, if I thought that was the right answer for me.

But it isn't.

I want/need the second set of goggles for what I want to do. I want to get the IMC eventually. At a price of $1338 (+/-) for the full package, I have to catch my breath. I haven't priced it out yet, but I very strongly suspect that buying the components separately...just the drone now, and the goggles and IMC later...will cost a fair amount more that that. Have any of you priced that out?

I was worried that the Avata might make the existing DJI FPV obsolete, but it won't. For one thing, at 60 mph max speed, it's a snail compared to the 82 mph max for the DJI FPV. I've flown my DJI FPV at 82 mph, and that's very seriously more impressive than 60 mph.

So, the obvious answer is that I need one of each. The only real question is, how long will I hold off before making that happen?

At this point, it looks like DJI has hit a home run with the Avata. Thanks, DJI folks!
I have the FPV also and figured i get just the Atava drone and be good to for just 650 or whatever. But then i realized, one battery just aint enough. So 2 more batteries and a charger and I’m up to $1,000. But I’m still going shuck out the $1K

Reactions: Texas Red
I didn’t get a chance to fly the avata today, but keen to try out the head tracking feature I was unaware of until last night
WHAT?!?!????

So a little word of warning: I got my avata + proview kit + flymore kit yesterday. Set everything up, including linking to my FPV controller. Wen out into the field to test it. When I encountered a signal loss (CE mode... :mad:) and auto RTH, I was relieved to see the bird come back, BUT... as I was sitting under a treeline, it wanted to descent through the trees. I tried to cancel the RTH by hitting the pause button, and it didn't work! Had to steer the drone while RTH-ing down to avoid the branches. Managed to get it home in one piece, but it scared the *** out of me!

When I returned home, I realized that, although the FPV controller seems to pair with the avata withouth updating it (the controller), it may NOT be fully functional! Be careful and update all components! Will update mine this afternoon and try again in a wide open field :)

Reactions: Halifax
Got mine, only 2 flights so far because of the usual "only one battery" hell of new DJI products... But yeah, it's just what I expected.
About half the speed of the FPV, surprisingly a little more flight time (7-9 mins) which is really cool because that was the one thing that made me never hold onto any cinewhoop style drone, can't do with 3-4 minutes. Definitely a lot less reserve power, you pretty obviously feel it but gotta plan for it in your moves and you're not going to do ridiculous climbs like with the FPV.
Transmission not as good, hadn't seen it was 5.8GHz only but still better than anything in this class as usual. DH should have an FCC hack soon.

Telemetry OSD can be included or not in the goggles recording via a setting in the Goggles 2, it's visible in the app this time as well.
Camera modes seem to be normal = some crop and distorsion corrected, Wide = mostly the same FOV but no distorsion correction, ultra wide = same as the live view (Live view is always UW regardless of the setting). Good to know as I had it set to Wide and the recording ended up not being what I wanted to show.

So yeah, both are great at different things, the Avata is great at backyard/short distance and more "risky" fun (ate a tree already, no issue, you'll want to enable the emergency prop stop setting) but it certainly doesn't take on the FPV's "let me be at the top of that mountain on the other side of the valley in 2 minutes".

Some crappy footage because after sunset...

Last edited:
So flew mine yesterday with a friend with the motion controller mainly, weaving in and out between trees, etc. An absolute joy to fly, so much fun!

Flew it again todat with the FPV controller during a windsurfing session (read: stronger winds, about 15kts). And that was a bit of a disappointment It definitely has a lot more difficulty dealing with stronger winds than the FPV does. I guess I'll have to keep the FPV to do my windsurfing filming then... :-D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax