Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Rate mode with auto pitch control during turns

rktman

Reaction score
I'm sure this is a very old discussion, but I'm a very new FPV pilot.

Man, it would sure be nice to have the FC hold pitch angle while control yaw and roll in a turn.

Is this what Horizon Mode is? I haven't been bold enough to try it without understanding it.

Horizon mode is just like Angle mode except it will transition to acro at the edge of stick deflection to allow for flips without changing mode.
Angle does what you want though?

No, angle ain't the ticket. I'd like to be relieved of having to correct pitch while turning, at least while learning.

I was thinking something like "pitch angle hold", but thinking about it more it's nonsense. As you start to turn with yaw and roll input, the direction of motion no longer lies parallel to the nose/tail line, and changes dynamically throughout the turn, returning to alignment with the drone when the turn is done.

So what is the pitch angle? Measured relative to what?

In straight line motion, it's measured relative to the gravity plane.

I guess what you're aiming for is something like an altitude hold.

a lot of seasoned fpv-ers say to learn, you should get off angle/horizon mode asap,
and I have to agree...

as Ive got better at full-acro mode, what Ive realised is you intuitively learn the relationship between pitch/roll/yaw/throttle... unless you are in straight level flight, they never act independently.

I mean this kind of is obvious, but was highlighted when someone pointed out ....
if you're flying at 90 degrees forward (theory) , then yaw and roll , switch roles compare to 0 degrees.
so any angle between 0 to 90 , they are mixed roles...

(this you start noticing alot when you do things like yaw spins with higher camera angles)

the point being... you cannot 'know' this, most fpv-ers are not enginners/mathematicians calculating angles and vectors, they just fly...
and thats the way to learn... many, many packs, preferably everyday.

start up high, where you cannot hit anything, then get lower...
I think two things really helped me get an intuitive feel...

learning to hover - with wind... the constant adjustment, hones your stick feel.

learning to stop fast - yaw stops, and pitch stops ... I kind of think of this a bit like how a ice hockey player stops

going low and slow - really helps on throttle control.
(the slower you go, the more you will bob up n' down, as you touch the throttle)

I dont think 'tricks' help much... rolls, flips, loops, might feel like progress, but really they are not difficult (disorientation is perhaps the only thing) ... of course, this changes when you start doing low, through obstacles... but you have to be able to do all the above before that anyway ;)

anyway its really just stick time...
Ive not been doing it long, but I do fly at least 4 packs a day (8 on a good day!) and it does become second nature after a while.
(if you cannot get out, use the sim - velocidrone/liftoff... its not the same, but does really help build muscle memory.)

so just do it, you'll be fine - it'll come together as you fly :)

Reactions: A.O. and Haggi
No, angle ain't the ticket. I'd like to be relieved of having to correct pitch while turning, at least while learning.
Well in angle mode as long as you keep the pitch stick at the same place pitch will stay the same regardless of what you do with the rest.
And when you're in manual/acro keeping the pitch stick centered will also keep pitch constant...

In both cases that's the pitch axis of the aircraft with regard to gravity plane.

I hear ya, Kilrah, but that would kill the muscle memory I'm trying to develop for rate mode. I'm going by simulator behavior, not actual Manual mode flight.

I think I'll ignore those chickens and just give manual a try at 300 ft or something today. Hitting the Sim again this morning.

Reactions: A.O.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax