Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Tyro 79s VTX settings

Parakeetdad

Reaction score
How can I set my Tyro 79s VTX to 200 mw, or as high as possible? I keep looking for the answer but I can't find it. I'm getting lousy reception with my Scout goggles.

I don't see that page in my goggles...?? and while we're at it - what is that button next to the USB-C port? It doesn't seem to do anything. I swear I can't find that out in the manual, but this stuff is almost impossible for me. I just want to fly...

Last edited:
Do you have Smartaudio turned on in the ports tab in Betaflight for the proper UART?

I'm terrible at anything Betaflight, it never works right, and I have no idea what "proper UART" even means. Feel free to give up on me at any time... If there is a Youtube video covering this I could give it a try, but nothing I've seen does.

I'm not sure if this covers what you need... but I glanced at it and at least he mentions Smartaudio.

@Parakeetdad
Post a screenshot of your ports tab and I can verify it for you.

The button next to USB is the boot button. It is used to firmware on your flight controller.

Don't be discouraged because there's a ton of stuff to learn. Keep at it and you'll figure it out a little bit at a time. Flying FPV qwads is complicated be you'll get a ton of satisfaction each step of the way. Nothing seems to come with any directions but there's lots of resources to help you along the way. There's great info on youtube and a bunch of wizards here who know almost everything. Keep asking questions and other pilots will help you along the way.
We all started at the beginning

See if this helps you understand Betaflight better and check back here when you need more help ?

Reactions: Madhungarian
Two more for you. I haven't watched them but I'm sure one of them will have VTX power setup info

Thanks for the pointers - really, I mean that. But here's the thing - Every time I try to mess with this stuff I lose. Or I spend hours and hours getting frustrated, and in the end I'm nowhere. My computer printer stopped communicating with my computer. I've spent many hours on the phone with Brother and they can't fix it, although there is nothing "wrong" with either, seemingly. In the drone world, I am just not interested in spending hundreds of hours learning stuff that I genuinely don't care about. I do have the time, just not the interest. It must be a relatively simple procedure to change the VTX settings, but so far nobody can tell me what that procedure is, just where to look to see if I get lucky. I know most of you enjoy learning this stuff. I simply don't. I don't care how it works. I just want to fly some toys. I did just buy a DJI Mini 2, and I had a Phantom 3, so I know this is actually a user-friendly drone. I understand that most of you look at Joshua Bardwell's list of Betaflight vids and it looks like an exciting adventure. If I go to hell after I die, those will be the videos I will be forced to watch for eternity. No offense, Joshua, lol. So, bottom line: if someone knows how to do this and can give me explicit instructions that would be great. But to all the would-be teachers who want to help me learn all this, don't bother. It's hopeless. Thanks for trying, though!

So I'm trying to make this as simple as possible for you.

Your smart audio is enabled properly so you are good to go in that respect. You are also running Betaflight 4.2.3 which is good because you can directly change the settings. You can change setting through smartaudio a couple different ways.

FIRST METHOD (not recommended due to complexity): In the goggles, you can change the power or other VTX settings that can be controlled from Betaflight OSD. To enter the Menu, you need to move the Throttle to middle, Yaw to the Left and push the Pitch stick Up, while the quadcopter is disarmed.

SECOND METHOD (recommended): We will use smartaudio through the CLI to set your output power.
If you want to change the channel, band and power output, you can use these CLI commands.

vtx_band = #
Allowed range: 0 – 5

vtx_channel = #
Allowed range: 1 – 8

vtx_power = #
Allowed range: 0 – 5

I will give you the exact commands for your specific drone but will also explain how it works so you can change it in the future.

The VTX in your drone supports 3 levels of output power 25mW, 100mW and 200mW

From the CLI tab in Betaflight, you can copy and paste the following:

set vtx_power = 3
save

You can verify that your setting have worked by going to the Video transmitter tab in Betaflight

Smart audio.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Madhungarian
Hey Droneguy, I also think that you'll need to explain which tab to use and how to use the osd controlled setting changes including how/when to save and exit.
making adjustments through the goggles is probably going to work better for Parakeetdad than using Betaflight.

Hey Droneguy, I also think that you'll need to explain which tab to use and how to use the osd controlled setting changes including how/when to save and exit.
making adjustments through the goggles is probably going to work better for Parakeetdad than using Betaflight.
Modified the instructions to recommend option 2

Modified the instructions to recommend option 2
Yeah, I was suggesting option #1, through the goggles. Seems like the simplest way.
Honestly my suggestion would be the DJI FPV qwad, kind of the perfect demo for it. No building, binding and command line coding. expensive but turn key.

Well, once again, I thank you and praise your efforts. But it's too complicated. Maybe it can help someone else, but I know it just won't work for me, there are things I don't know like mrmund pointed out, like when to save and all that. And I'm afraid that one false move and the whole thing will be screwed up forever. I have a pile of that stuff already. Maybe I'll take it to a hobby shop when it's safe to do that. I'll keep these instructions and maybe give it a shot someday, Or just fly my DJI (when my iphone 7 finally arrives) and sell everything else on ebay... if I can get my printer to work, lol... Thanks again for trying.

Well, once again, I thank you and praise your efforts. But it's too complicated. Maybe it can help someone else, but I know it just won't work for me, there are things I don't know like mrmund pointed out, like when to save and all that. And I'm afraid that one false move and the whole thing will be screwed up forever. I have a pile of that stuff already. Maybe I'll take it to a hobby shop when it's safe to do that. I'll keep these instructions and maybe give it a shot someday, Or just fly my DJI (when my iphone 7 finally arrives) and sell everything else on ebay... if I can get my printer to work, lol... Thanks again for trying.
Referencing your betaflight picture YOU posted. ON the left of the screen where you have ports highlighted, if you go down to the last tab, it says"CLI". Click on that and do what Droneguy said, VERY EASY.

Type this on the screen exactly with the spaces.

set vtx_power = 3
and then hit enter on your keyboard.

Then type "save" without the quotes, and then hit enter again.

Thats it, if you cannot understand how to do this I am sorry there is no other way to explain it. THIS IS VERY SIMPLE.

Reactions: droneguy
OK, I did that. The computer chimed and Betaflight disconnected. When it warms up outside I'll see if my range is better. I'll let you know. Those instructions were just what I needed, direct and simple. Well done. I just verified that I still have a video signal to the goggles, so far so good. And even though it won't surprise you that I suck at flying, this little thing is a blast. I like to fly through my woods and I need a better signal. Thanks again!

Reactions: mrmund
Well whaddya know? It worked! I was able to run the same course through the woods I used to enjoy with my Quanum V2s and my Falcon 250. Which I haven't done for a couple of years after I smoked the Falcon trying to replace an ESC. And the V2's just kind of fell apart, that was a sketchy rig to begin with. This gear is much better! And when it's not 35 degrees with a 20MPH wind out there I'll enjoy it much more! So thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. I'll probably have more questions in the future about something or other. Feel free to treat that as a warning...

Reactions: mrmund

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kylst18