Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

What does this mean?

Reaction score
I was considering buying the XILO 5" Freestyle Beginner Drone Bundle - Joshua Bardwell Edition. The only thing that is holding me back is not wanting to get an amateur ham radio license. I noticed in the description it said that the video transmitter was us legal. What does that mean? Does that mean a ham radio license isn't needed? Also does anyone know the number of mW that you can run without getting a ham radio license?

Thanks!

Reactions: TVQ
I believe that means that the VTX is up to 600mw, which is legal in the US, but too powerful for the EU which restricts to 25mw.

Also, I don't think you need an amateur radio license if you use a FCC licensed VTX, which I would assume is also covered by the term USA legal.

I believe that means that the VTX is up to 600mw, which is legal in the US, but too powerful for the EU which restricts to 25mw.

Also, I don't think you need an amateur radio license if you use a FCC licensed VTX, which I would assume is also covered by the term USA legal.
I don't think the one included in the bundle is FCC approved. When I looked at it separately on getfpv there was a Regulation notice.

Thanks for the reply!

The owners manual says you are legal without a radio license as long as you stay away from certain channels and power settings. https://getfpv-media.s3.amazonaws.com/wysiwyg/files/XILO-STAX-VTX-User-Manual-compressed.pdf
Thanks! It looks like from the manual that I can only go 25mw without a license. How far do you think the range would be on 25mw with the antenna? I don't want to go long range but a mile would be good enough for me so I can fly with confidence knowing that the video won't drop.

I'm a newb so I only know what I read... but I'd suspect that there is no chance for a mile. I'd guess 1000 feet or so.
If you know anything about the antenna... perhaps this site will help: Max my range

Reactions: 280
I'm a newb so I only know what I read... but I'd suspect that there is no chance for a mile. I'd guess 1000 feet or so.
If you know anything about the antenna... perhaps this site will help: Max my range
I guess that's far enough for starting off. If I like fpv enough I will probably break down and get a ham radio license. Thanks for your help.

25mW is the limit without a Ham license in several countries, but many people still fly at higher output power without getting the license. The radio frequencies are covered in a range of the spectrum that require a Ham license at higher power. The channels on the VTX are fixed and therefore there is little risk of interference with other licensed frequencies which is why most people aren't too concerned. If the VTX goes bad and starts blasting radio waves on other frequencies, then you could affect other ham operators, but that situation has a low probability of occurring.

I guess that's far enough for starting off. If I like fpv enough I will probably break down and get a ham radio license. Thanks for your help.
Using a VTX set 25mW will not give you more than a few hundred feet of range before you have major breakup. Your antenna selection will also have a significant impact on your range especially at low power

25mW is the limit without a Ham license in several countries, but many people still fly at higher output power without getting the license. The radio frequencies are covered in a range of the spectrum that require a Ham license at higher power. The channels on the VTX are fixed and therefore there is little risk of interference with other licensed frequencies which is why most people aren't too concerned. If the VTX goes bad and starts blasting radio waves on other frequencies, then you could affect other ham operators, but that situation has a low probability of occurring.
Does digital need a ham radio license? I probably would never consider digital unless the price dropped a lot for the googles.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adax