Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

What would be a good drone setup for starting a youth FPV club

ottkosmoses

Reaction score
Hello.

I am very fresh in FPV, have bought myself Eachine Racer 250 and making first steps in getting hang of controlling it.
As I have been working wiith youth groups in their after-school time I have a plan of starting a local FPV club to have this journey of mastering fpvs with my yourg friends and it seems more fun anyways to be able to make races. (There are not many scenes here in Estonia)
How it works here, I have an opportunity to write a project for getting some fundings for starting new past-school activities for youth. Maybe for some 6-8 setups.

Do you have suggestions for a good drone setup for this kind of club activities who start from scratch?
  • -It would be nice to be able to build our drones ourselves to learn also some assembling and soldering.
  • -Would it be better to go for a smaller or a bigger frame (for the 250 of my own i wanter to be able to carry different cams but its not essential here). Whitch ones are easier to fly
  • -What would be more durable solution for rought begnners. I have seen an owl frame which seems pretty robust when flying indoors.(http://www.helipal.com/flex-rc-owl-fpv-quadcopter-frame-for-indoor-and-
  • outdoor.html)
  • Would be able to use FPV headsets (my own setup is regular vr headset with smartphone RX reciever)
  • Would it be wise not to go with all same setups but have two different kinds?
  • Would be nice to have a drone with controller and headset for about 200 dollars/euros.

Because there is lots of wind here i have looked some vacant spacious indoors flying spaces, some old

barns, stalls, farms.
Some pics here:
drone racing spot at Vigala parish in Estonia
Potential drone racing spot at Vigala parish, Estonia

Any kind of help appreciated!

Ott

Hi, that is a nice project. I think you are on the right track with the owl frame. I would go very small on these quads though for several reasons (space requirements, durability, battery cost, charging time, less intimidation factor, less dangerous, etc). Have a look at this frame, which is basically an Owl for 2" props. Storm Racing Drone Butterfly-2 Frame Set (2

I would suggest going for brushed micro quads because they are better for learning and indoor flying. But the motors need regular replacing and with that many quads it will become a chore. What you might consider is eventually getting two drones for each radio/goggles setup. You could first get all the brushed quads up front, and maybe two or four brushless quads. It will take a couple months for the kids' skills to outgrow a brushed quad.

Eachine Tiny QX90 90mm Micro FPV Racing Quadcopter BNF Based On F3 EVO Brushed Flight Controller

FlySky FS-i6 2.4G 6CH AFHDS RC Transmitter With FS-iA6B Receiver

Eachine EV800 5 Inches 800x480 FPV Goggles 5.8G 40CH Raceband Auto-Searching Build In Battery

Reactions: VirtueViolater
Hi! I'm from Estonia also and can agree here not too much spots for fly.

But I'll be glad, if you realize your plans!

Add me in Facebook: Slava Chrome

Отправлено с моего iPhone используя Tapatalk

Tiny Whoops are the best bang for the buck in your case. The Turnigy Evolution is a cheap but really good transmitter

Tiny Whoops are the best bang for the buck in your case. The Turnigy Evolution is a cheap but really good transmitter
The Turnigy Evolution - first time I hear about this. It would be a good idea to go for a modern flight controller. As I understand, it can be also used with simulators, which would be where we would start flying to spend less broken parts and crashes at start. Its almost same price category with flysky-i6. But its more versatile?

I forgot about the turnigy evolution, that is a better option. It isn't necessarily more versatile but it is very ergonomic and the kids will take to it quickly.

Hi, that is a nice project. I think you are on the right track with the owl frame. I would go very small on these quads though for several reasons (space requirements, durability, battery cost, charging time, less intimidation factor, less dangerous, etc). Have a look at this frame, which is basically an Owl for 2" props. Storm Racing Drone Butterfly-2 Frame Set (2

I would suggest going for brushed micro quads because they are better for learning and indoor flying. But the motors need regular replacing and with that many quads it will become a chore. What you might consider is eventually getting two drones for each radio/goggles setup. You could first get all the brushed quads up front, and maybe two or four brushless quads. It will take a couple months for the kids' skills to outgrow a brushed quad.

Eachine Tiny QX90 90mm Micro FPV Racing Quadcopter BNF Based On F3 EVO Brushed Flight Controller

FlySky FS-i6 2.4G 6CH AFHDS RC Transmitter With FS-iA6B Receiver

Eachine EV800 5 Inches 800x480 FPV Goggles 5.8G 40CH Raceband Auto-Searching Build In Battery

Going first for the brushed , less dangerous and forgiving ones and then with the brushless ones is a very good advice. I thing thats how we are going to do this. To get the costs lower would youy think we could go for a cheaper whoops alternatives like Tiny QX80 or something from the same family.

For the biger ones I got adviced to go for a 99 dollar build model from UAVfutures. So I should get transmitter and goggles that would work both with brushed and brusless models we decide to go for.

How many motors extra should I get for the brushed ones? One or twe whole sets per unit? I guess for the props the ratio should be something like this to write into project as many stuff as necessary.

Are there anything else that become handy in FPV maintainance im missing, that I would become short of afterwards?

Thankyou!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax