Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Any Issues Showing Up Consistently With This Bird?

The Kid

Reaction score
From the scarcity of posts about shortcomings, it looks like DJI has a solid flying platform.

Not happy with the short flight times, but, that is to DJI's advantage, isn't it?

More interest in the Fly More Package and extra battery sales?!! :)

My only 'complaint' is DJI could have included 'kit' in the package with which to help conform the goggles to one's face.

TK

Not happy with the short flight times
Flight time is 2-3 times better than anything comparable, so it's actually amazing for what it is.

And yeah it's been flawless for me. Prefer flying it with the old FPV V2 goggles.

Last edited:
Reactions: Geo and Barbara
Flight time is 2-3 times better than anything comparable, so it's actually amazing for what it is.

And yeah it's been flawless for me. Prefer flying it with the old FPV V2 goggles.
2 -3 times anything comparable??? My Zoom will fly for over 25 minutes with the upgraded propellers from Master.
You must be referring to fly a ship with goggles, rather than a tablet/cell phone.
I find 15 -19 minutes absolutely unacceptable, but....FPV makes it worthwhile...... :)

2 -3 times anything comparable??? My Zoom will fly for over 25 minutes with the upgraded propellers from Master.
You must be referring to fly a ship with goggles, rather than a tablet/cell phone.
I find 15 -19 minutes absolutely unacceptable, but....FPV makes it worthwhile...... :)
Comparable to FPV drones not regular drones. So yes the flight time for the Avata is considered very good. What you lose in flight time you gain in maneuverability and speed. Personally if the M3 or Mini 3 were goggles compatible that would be my choice. I do not need a racer but love the goggles.

Reactions: okw and Barbara
Of course since it's what the Avata is, that's why I said "comparable"... if you're going to fly it like a Mavic then it's certainly much less but that's not what it's for, and other FPV drones have appalling flight times.

And yes the Mavics should have goggles compatibility for those who just want to see the view with goggles but are not going to make use of the Avata and FPV's capabilities. Though with your M2Z you can use the old DJI goggles that work with it.

Reactions: okw
They pair to the aircraft wirelessly..., The app is the one that works with the aircraft.

The DJI Goggles and DJI Goggles RE that work with The M1/M2 which are both GO4 models came out back in 2017, DJI Fly didn't even exist then.

Reactions: Barbara
They pair to the aircraft wirelessly..., The app is the one that works with the aircraft.

The DJI Goggles and DJI Goggles RE that work with The M1/M2 which are both GO4 models came out back in 2017, DJI Fly didn't even exist then.
Hmmm, interesting. Looks like neither of those models are available anymore. At least not from their store. Have to check Ebay....

Yup long discontinued. Might be a few on the used market... Still have my RE but sold the original white ones some time ago.

Issues that consistently come up with the bird - hmmmm. Let me see now that I can speak from experience.

1- Pissed off Pilot because I have to deal with the USB and SD card slot location again...:eek: Can't wait for that cheap piece of plastic cover to come loose one flight and cause the bird to go in. I close it securely every time, but I feel this location is just "Stupid" and its only a matter of time before I have to use tape or something. Buy then I will tear it apart and replace the door I guess. I will say while that plastic is new (Like now) it is firmly clipped when properly closed. This is just a silly problem to have IMHO. How about a remote mounting (tiny PCB) and a ribbon, weighs what 3 grams..... cost what $0.50? its just annoying......

2 - That I can't fly for crap and need more time in the day and at least I have the SIM and manual mode training with the goggles........it's been over 3 years time off and I was never a fast racer......I went around the track with the minor league fella's and still had pleanty of fun waiting my turn for those races.

From the scarcity of posts about shortcomings, it looks like DJI has a solid flying platform.

Not happy with the short flight times, but, that is to DJI's advantage, isn't it?

More interest in the Fly More Package and extra battery sales?!! :)

My only 'complaint' is DJI could have included 'kit' in the package with which to help conform the goggles to one's face.

TK
The flight times are double to triple what you'll find on any other FPV platform, and yes, you'll want extra batteries, because it's really fun to fly.
You can find aftermarket foam kits for the goggles pretty cheap, so I wouldn't get hung up on that.
Here's my synopsis of the common complaints I see. Keep in mind this is just my understanding and many of these problems are fixable or may not bother you:
1. It's loud. General agreement from freestyle guys is that it's not that loud for a cinewhoop, but if you've been flying a quad where your phone is the display, this is an adjustment.
2. It's underpowered. It is. You won't notice it until you are trying to do a powerloop and can't pull out. The Avata is EXTREMELY tough, so the crash will be survivable, but...
3. The battery pops out. The Avata has a turtle mode so if you land upside-down you can flip it remotely and get back in the air no problem. IF..the battery is still connected. There's tons of cheap 3d printed gadgets on eBay or Etsy that snap on behind the battery and keep it seated. Problem solved.
4. The kit doesn't come with the RC controller. The joystick is cool for a week or two, but the Avata is locked out of manual mode until you're using the RC. That means no loops, flips, or dives, and you'll be stuck with about a 35mph speed limit. Still fun, but you'll want the controller soon enough. Then you can go 70mph.
5. Prop wash makes decent shaky. You can mitigate it by going slow, but if you're wanting to go down quickly without looking like an earthquake, the only way to do it is a free fall dive. Which you can do with the RC remote.
6. With remote id now in place, you can't lift off without being connected to your phone, app on, and confirming on the phone. Wouldn't be a big deal if you were using the phone to fly, but with the Avata, you're using the goggles. Click the box on your phone, more you can fly, but the phone is in your lap, waiting to slide off and bust it's screen as soon as you get fully immersed in the goggles. Wires everywhere, too many things to hold. It sucks. You can buy a cheap track phone with a tiny screen, zip tie it to the googles, and leave it plugged in, but why? It sucks.
7. Yaw snap tumble. There's an airflow issue on super snappy 180 turns, where the drone wants to flip. Unless you're flying like a fighter pilot, it probably won't be an issue, but it's a known problem.
8. Short stick throw on the RC control. It makes every little stick input very exaggerated and finicky. Some of this can be solved by changing rates, but a $10 pair of longer sticks is the actual fix. No biggie.
9. USB port and memory card slot are in a stupid location and you'll cuss every time you want to access them

All that said, it's a super fun drone to fly and right out of the box it's still plenty cool and capable. You'll probably end up spending another 3 or 4 hundred to make it complete. You'll need a case, shorter goggles battery cord, etc. In my opinion, none of those complaints are a deal breaker. I love mine and fly often. The clarity on the googles is shocking. It's immersive to the point you'll be looking like Stevie Wonder as you lean your body in real life as you bank the quad.
Finally, all the problems have solutions. You can upgrade the motors and frame, buy the aftermarket add-ons to make it better, and above all else, this thing is really tough. I've crashed multiple times and except for cosmetic scratches from sliding across a highway, it's still flying perfect.

6. With remote id now in place, you can't lift off without being connected to your phone, app on, and confirming on the phone. Wouldn't be a big deal if you were using the phone to fly, but with the Avata, you're using the goggles. Click the box on your phone, more you can fly, but the phone is in your lap, waiting to slide off and bust it's screen as soon as you get fully immersed in the goggles. Wires everywhere, too many things to hold. It sucks. You can buy a cheap track phone with a tiny screen, zip tie it to the googles, and leave it plugged in, but why? It sucks.
I saw a video, I'll see if I can find it again and post a link, that said you can disconnect the phone once you take off and fly without it (the phone). Not sure if that's an improvement or not.

Me, I haven't updated the firmware yet as RID isn't (yet) a requirement here in Canuckada.

Reactions: jakerizzo
I saw a video, I'll see if I can find it again and post a link, that said you can disconnect the phone once you take off and fly without it (the phone). Not sure if that's an improvement or not.

Me, I haven't updated the firmware yet as RID isn't (yet) a requirement here in Canuckada.
Good point. Yes, you can disconnect after the ID, but now you've got a bird in the air, hovering, while you've got your goggles off, disconnecting cords and distracted about turning your phone screen off and setting it down somewhere safe.
It's all doable, but a total pain in the ***. You should be able to do the ID in the googles menu, when you also acknowledge local flight restrictions. For 1500 bucks, it should be a smoother process, not feeling like you're connecting up to life support. Turn everything on, get the googles adjusted on your face, center sticks, and liftoff. Instead it's a 25 step checklist. Camera cover, screw sticks in, connect battery cable, secure goggles battery, attach antennas, secure memory card door, etc.
It's still worth it, though. And at this point, it's almost become a ritual, building anticipation. Lol

Yeah the whole plugging in phone to the goggles (just to broadcast your gnss coordinates to anyone) is plain silly. Which is why I’m on the older fw to get around that nonsense.

Yeah, but you all are required by law to wear toques and eat back bacon for breakfast, so I don't know... 😁

• Haha
My understanding is this is the only legal toque in Canada after Trudeau passed his anti-trucker-protest law:

Knit-Earflap-Beanie-Plush-Hat-With-Ears-Big-Eye-Beanie-Little-Devil-Hat-Kid-Funny-Earflap.jpg_Q90.jpg_.webp

Of course, fairness demands I note most Americans are wearing these 24x7 after the Biden-China balloon incident recently...

depositphotos_217774044-stock-photo-crazy-scared-man-wearing-tin.jpg

And I have good news: Chinese intel gathering has reduced to a trickle.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
darshan rajput