Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Build reccomandations and Suggestions

4th_Dimension

Reaction score
Good evening everyone,
So I just laid out my build (per-build), you know layed out wires,ESC's, PDB & FC, frame together, Motors, camera....etc Looking at what I need to "soft mount", where to cut wires nothing is set in stone yet.
But i dawned on me when looking at my build. How the heck am I going to secure my "M3" nuts,bolts,spacers,standoffs???
Should I use...
-Teflon tape (on the threads)
-Lock tight (Blue)
-super glue (NO way)
Remember these are "M3" nylon nuts,bolts,spacers,standoffs. I have to secure them some how so they don't just come lose BUT yet be able to take them apart if I need to work on my drone...
Any ideas/help would be GREAT!!!

Thank you for your time,
Brian

Reactions: HighTechPauper
I have always found that nylon stays in place pretty well. The bottom hole screws snug the first standoff good to the frame, a board sits on top and gets sandwiched between nylon standoffs, then another board, and in the end it all gets screwed down from the top with either screws or nuts. Once it is all snugged in the stack around the bottom plate I find it provides give so the boards don't get damaged as easily, and I have never had it come undone even after I have clocked a tree or goal post. Nylon is fairly strong up until the break point, adding Teflon tape may make it a bit tougher to get together without breakage, but certainly worth experimenting with, and just a touch of mild Locktite could do the trick without melting the nylon too bad, but I don't think it will disassemble easily and will likely need replaced when it is taken apart. I always check my quads for loose hardware since I don't use thread locker most of the time, and I never find loose nylon. IMHO, YMMV

Reactions: Keifie and okw
I usually recommend no to use nylon standoffs at all. I've broken too many in crashes and also the sometimes break at the threaded section without you knowing until your gyro goes crazy from the vibrations. Some people swear by nylon standoffs, but I prefer using a long screw and use rubber bushing spacers and gummies to mount my ESC and FC. I top the screws off with a nylock nut. Your quad can completely explode but your ESC and FC will still be attached to the bottom plate. If your just building a cruiser then I wouldn't worry too much, but if this is your crash and bash freestyle quad, I'd go with full length screws. Just my opinion and experience. I'm sure others have had better luck with nylon.

I NEVER use nylon hardware to mount my FC and ESC. The first time you crash and doesn’t have to be a bad one they will break and then you will most likely short a FC or ESC or both. If want to use the nylon standoffs you could but you can get nice aluminum standoffs, I get mine from Pyrodrone. I also use titanium bolts but you can use aluminum or steel also.

I will say you need to check your FC and ESC before mounting with metal screws. If they are mounted with the silicone gummy’s then you are good to go use steel or aluminum or titanium. If they aren’t mounted with the gummy’s take a multimeter and check continuity between the + and the inside of the holes. There are very few boards that are this way anymore ( any Flycolor boards have it ) and if there is no continuity between the + and the inside of the hole you can use your choice of hardware.

Just to be clear even though I use long metal screws that pass through the entire stack, the entire screw is covered by alternating rubber spacers and gummies. The purpose of the full length screw is to provide a solid mounting structure for the stack. The metal screw never comes in contact with anything other than the frame and top rubber washer or gummy.

Reactions: Keifie
Ya most stacks are that way. I also use one long screw and the gummy’s and a lock nut and aluminum standoffs as needed. If you use a full length metal screw and gummy’s and you want to use the plastic standoffs to space the boards out you can but I’ve had them break in a bad crash even though I had metal screws.

Reactions: droneguy
Thank you all for answering back,now that I have some ideas I will be doing the (one long screw and the gummy’s and a lock nut and aluminum standoffs as needed). this not only will look nicer BUT offer better support. I will use a M3 long screws my stack I will be using these things...

-i Flight Rubber "O" ring
-iFlight M3 Rubber damper Balls....But you guys have any tricks to get these through my PDB/FC? Looks like it will be a challenge!!
-Soft mount motors..these are 1.5mm thick

I have a 32k ICM20602 gyro/accelerator (spi) on my FC's. I know and have heard I have to soft mount as it is a sensitive animal BUT it is a very good one to have IF you can control the vibrations. So my goal is to have very little vibrations coming to it.Any ideas here as well or help would be great

I will be building on the "Wild Willy Dolphin1 5" Frame. I love it, it has some options as well. But I have 4 ESC's and I printed ESC covers so mounting these 4 ESC's to the arms may be so work.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 1
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 0
wrap a piece of dental floss around the gummy a few times then stick the ends through the PCB and use it to pull the gummy through the hole and into place, just be careful not to slice through the gummy with the floss.

wrap a piece of dental floss around the gummy a few times then stick the ends through the PCB and use it to pull the gummy through the hole and into place, just be careful not to slice through the gummy with the floss.
Yes sir, sounds good

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax