Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Chad Mowrey

Reaction score
I'm new to the world of FPV racing (and already addicted). I purchased a Walkera runner 250 basic as a practise quad, but I have 2 questions that I'm not able to find answers for.

1. Do FPV racing quads commonly use camera Gimbals? If so does anyone know of a gimbal that will fit on the runner 250? Depending on the quads tilt it's hard to see where I'm going.
2. The runner 250 uses a 5.8G video signal which can get rather choppy. Does anyone have any suggestions for improving the 5.8G transmission?

I've tried 4 different antennas but they all seem to be about the same. I've also searched the web for 5.8G amplifiers but found nothing that would work on the walkera runner.

Thanks

I'm new to the world of FPV racing (and already addicted). I purchased a Walkera runner 250 basic as a practise quad, but I have 2 questions that I'm not able to find answers for.

1. Do FPV racing quads commonly use camera Gimbals? If so does anyone know of a gimbal that will fit on the runner 250? Depending on the quads tilt it's hard to see where I'm going.
2. The runner 250 uses a 5.8G video signal which can get rather choppy. Does anyone have any suggestions for improving the 5.8G transmission?

I've tried 4 different antennas but they all seem to be about the same. I've also searched the web for 5.8G amplifiers but found nothing that would work on the walkera runner.

Thanks

Hi,

Gimbals for head tracking are out there, but not commonly used. It is hard to fly and look around. Tweak your camera tilt to your liking if possible.

Regarding FPV signal, a few things come to mind.

The walkera comes with a 200mW VTX, which is the most common spec, and the max allowed at races. You could switch to a 600mW if you will be flying solo. It may interfere with other pilots signals though if they are nearby. Alternatively, you could try another higher quality 200mW VTX.

What goggles and VRX are you using? If your goggles support video in, you could set up a ground station. It is basically a larger receiver and antenna on a tripod.

What antennas did you try? A set of TBS triumph ones might help, or some by IBcrazy. On the lower end, Aomway are highly reviewed.

Good luck!

Reactions: Jtrjr
Thanks for the reply theGreenOrange, very good info... The goggles I have are the ARRIS Eachine VR D2. They aren't the most expensive goggles but since I'm having issues with the video signal I liked the dual antennas these goggles come with. I also had an old pair of fatshark teleporter V4, but they were even worse.
In regards to the antennas... I've tried the Anbee High Gain Circular Polarized Clover Leaf Antenna and the Docooler Clover leaf 3 Blade Transmitting with a 4 Blade Receiving Antenna. Plus the standard Mushroom antennas Walkera uses. No video difference between these three, but I'll certainly try the ones you suggested.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax