Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Getting into the hobby

SpaceMercury

Reaction score
Hello,

I own a Mavic and love to film with it and i also fly model RC planes. And now that if seen these racing quads I want to get into the hobby. I know how to build one and I've looked at many videos online.
So my question is, can anyone reccomend some parts or even a build?

I know I wana get the Qx7 Taranis as my transmitter
So that leaves me with roughly 350$ to spend on just the quad, the battery, and the goggles.

P.S. If you i should get a different transmitter tell me which one.

Reactions: broncosdad1317
I started out small and brushed, Eachine QX-105 and an SPC Maker 90X to keep the cost down until I get skilled, then I will eventually move up to an SPC Maker 90S or similar micro brushless.

Knowing what i know now i would build but there are some good BNF quads about for good money, I cant really recommend components, but i have an eachine wizard x220s which i have now almost rebuilt with upmarket parts, radiolink AT9s and eachine ev800d goggles which are great you could get all that and a new vtx and upgraded antennas and still be under budget.

Hello,

I own a Mavic and love to film with it and i also fly model RC planes. And now that if seen these racing quads I want to get into the hobby. I know how to build one and I've looked at many videos online.
So my question is, can anyone reccomend some parts or even a build?

I know I wana get the Qx7 Taranis as my transmitter
So that leaves me with roughly 350$ to spend on just the quad, the battery, and the goggles.

P.S. If you i should get a different transmitter tell me which one.
I own the qx7 and I don’t think I’ll ever buy a diff one. I looooove it I guess for recommendations I gotta know more about what you want. Do you want diversity on your goggles and does resolution mean a lot or do you just want a cheap par to start with. Also what size quad are you trying to fly 3”,4”,5”,6”. Do you wanna race or do you wanna do freestyle? Also do you care about quality over quantity or other way around? Answer these and I can give good recommendations from experience of owning and others I know that have them

Reactions: Torc
ok thx everyone! Ill do a bit more research but i think i'll build my own. One last question, so, I own a FlySky FS-I6 radio which like 40$ that i bought for an rc airplane that i'm building. My question is, do i have to buy a new radio or can i just get another receiver and stick it on the racing drone?

I own the qx7 and I don’t think I’ll ever buy a diff one. I looooove it I guess for recommendations I gotta know more about what you want. Do you want diversity on your goggles and does resolution mean a lot or do you just want a cheap par to start with. Also what size quad are you trying to fly 3”,4”,5”,6”. Do you wanna race or do you wanna do freestyle? Also do you care about quality over quantity or other way around? Answer these and I can give good recommendations from experience of owning and others I know that have them
Right so I think i would prefer to freestyle but since i've never flown a racing quad or freestyle quad idk. I've been reading online that 5" quads are better for beginners but idk about that either. I want quality, like not really expensive but yeah. And for resolution, wel resolution means a lot for me i mean not something like fat sharks cuz i dont have the money but something in my budget that gives me the best resolution.

ok thx everyone! Ill do a bit more research but i think i'll build my own. One last question, so, I own a FlySky FS-I6 radio which like 40$ that i bought for an rc airplane that i'm building. My question is, do i have to buy a new radio or can i just get another receiver and stick it on the racing drone?
Yes or you could pop that reciever out of the plane and use it for the drone or just get another one for it :)

Right so I think i would prefer to freestyle but since i've never flown a racing quad or freestyle quad idk. I've been reading online that 5" quads are better for beginners but idk about that either. I want quality, like not really expensive but yeah. And for resolution, wel resolution means a lot for me i mean not something like fat sharks cuz i dont have the money but something in my budget that gives me the best resolution.
Okay cool that helps a lot when recommendations things for me :) well like I said before the qx7 you’ll love that. As for goggles if you don’t mind a box hanging off your face the fat shark box goggles are good alittle expensive but not domv3 or higher prices. I have the boscam gs922. Absolutely great. Diversity and dvr and much more. Check them out. At about $190-$240 maybe cheaper depends where ya look. They stand up to and are better than fatshark domv3 and fatshark hd3 (proven on YouTube and in my opinion) also I’m talking about picture quality and less breakup Not features cuz they have alittle better features but idc about that I want good picture and good diversity and dvr Throw good antennas on mine and they do better a lot better than fatshark ;). 5” is good to learn on. I’d say a tiny whoop would be best to learn with but idk it’s pretty even. Nothing wrong with tackling the beast at the feet and just learning on the real size. May be alittle harder but again at the feet of you catch my drift. As for quads for starting if you want a ready to fly which means ready to fly out the box or do you wanna build one

Also you’re going to want to make sure you get good and tenants for your goggles and your drone so also look at that list and I would just go with the top-of-the-line pics because those are ultimately the best like the TBS triumph or a mad mushroom Both are really good as well as a patch antenna that’s at least 8DBI

for a while, at the beginning when learning, everyone flies freestyle ( :
just take your time and fly inside your envelope (low and slow).
welcome to the addiction!
build, fly, crash, repeat

building is a good thing, you learn how it goes together but, having a bnf to fly while fingering through your first build is better. your gonna end up with more than one quad anyway .. work to start getting stick time. I'd get the bnf and also build quad #2

building is a good thing, you learn how it goes together but, having a bnf to fly while fingering through your first build is better.

Don't say that around my first "mentor" he blacklisted me for doing this very thing telling me to get out while I was ahead. Would love to fly a few batteries worth of "kiss my ***" in his presence. :p

Reactions: Futuramille

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax