Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Great PID tuning tutorial...

Jtrjr

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I've been following this 16 year old kid for a while now, he really seems to know his stuff. This kid can fly, too! I got a PID tuning video this morning that looks pretty damned good. I know we're not all to this level yet but I thought I'd share it. It's a long one but explains a lot.

Jerry

I've been following this 16 year old kid for a while now, he really seems to know his stuff. This kid can fly, too! I got a PID tuning video this morning that looks pretty damned good. I know we're not all to this level yet but I thought I'd share it. It's a long one but explains a lot.

Jerry

Excellent video. Although I couldn't really see on his recording what he was seeing in terms of the "loose pitch, roll and yaw". I guess some of this comes with experience and feel? Correct me if I am wrong but are PID's really only useful in Acro mode? How would PID adjustment help self leveling mode or horizon?

Also I found this video where he gives a great explanation of PID's as well. Between those two videos I have a much better understanding of PID's now.

Reactions: Jtrjr
Justin,

This is all pretty new to me as well and I am currently flying in Horizon Mode. Changing the PID's will effect other modes as well. I only know this to be the case because I have been tinkering with them with my 3 racing quads. I can't really explain much because I don't know too much yet. The other link you provided is a good one as well and I've referred to it more than once since getting into this hobby!

Jerry

Justin,

This is all pretty new to me as well and I am currently flying in Horizon Mode. Changing the PID's will effect other modes as well. I only know this to be the case because I have been tinkering with them with my 3 racing quads. I can't really explain much because I don't know too much yet. The other link you provided is a good one as well and I've referred to it more than once since getting into this hobby!

Jerry
Jerry so how long did you fly in self-leveling mode before switching to horizon mode?

Jerry out of curiosity are you running ARTF or RTF racers or ones you built? If they are prebuilt ones which ones? I want to get the Eachine Wizard x220 but don't want to wait another 2 months to get it from banggood so thinking of getting something I can get thats a good started quad but can get from a US vendor that has stock.

Justin,

I bought an Arris X-Speed 250B RTF from Amazon as my first racing quad. Perfect bird for me to start out using. All easily accessible and swappable components. I already swapped out the camera, the Flight Controller and the TX. I ended up buying a FrSky Taranis X9D Plus Radio so I could use it with many more quads and simulators. It's not as fast or agile as my other quads but it's been pretty durable and I'm most comfortable flying with it. After that I bought a JJPro P200 (slow boat from China) and a Diatone Crusader 200 GT2. The second two are a bit harder to fly at this point. I've been flying Horizon Mode since I started and as far as I know it is a self-leveling mode if you have the Accel and Baro turned on. If I did it all over again, I'd have done the same thing. The Arris isn't talked about much but its been a great quad for me to start out flying this way. I'm very familiar with flying Phantoms and Solos but this is my first foray into FPV quads and I'm having a blast. Here's a link to the X-Speed 250B. If you have Amazon Prime you could have it RTF by Friday or Monday.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015ST5UPM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jerry

Justin,

I bought an Arris X-Speed 250B RTF from Amazon as my first racing quad. Perfect bird for me to start out using. All easily accessible and swappable components. I already swapped out the camera, the Flight Controller and the TX. I ended up buying a FrSky Taranis X9D Plus Radio so I could use it with many more quads and simulators. It's not as fast or agile as my other quads but it's been pretty durable and I'm most comfortable flying with it. After that I bought a JJPro P200 (slow boat from China) and a Diatone Crusader 200 GT2. The second two are a bit harder to fly at this point. I've been flying Horizon Mode since I started and as far as I know it is a self-leveling mode if you have the Accel and Baro turned on. If I did it all over again, I'd have done the same thing. The Arris isn't talked about much but its been a great quad for me to start out flying this way. I'm very familiar with flying Phantoms and Solos but this is my first foray into FPV quads and I'm having a blast. Here's a link to the X-Speed 250B. If you have Amazon Prime you could have it RTF by Friday or Monday.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015ST5UPM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jerry
I already started buying stuff just not a quad yet :) So far I have a Taranis X9D, Fatshark Dominator V3, battery charging equipment, batteries,a micro fpv qx70, cable and crap so I can run simulators on the way. Just no actual quad yet :)

Last edited:
Well you can get the 250B as a BNF (I'm not trying to sell you on it, it's just been good for me. Especially for learning.). You got the same radio and goggles that I did. All you'd need is the bird and TX. I put a Frsky X8R TX in mine but probably could have gotten away with the X4RSB (I used that in my GT2) to save some space.

Jerry

https://www.amazon.com/X-Speed-FPV2...=1-10-spons&keywords=arris+x-speed+250B&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RCAHHFM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VM1XWB0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jerry

This young man's video is by far the best I have ever seen when it comes to PID tuning. Hats off to the young man.

I have a bit different question.Is it better to learn on a correctly tuned quad or simply go through the learning curve on ones own?

Hi Jerry,

I wonder if its better to get a quad that an experienced person has set up. I look back at my surfing and know that i would have progressed much quicker had i not used to many different types, and shapes of boards and fins. Sometimes you have to due to the size of the waves but i was trying to get muscle memory happening with too many different variables. It made it more difficult to progress my skill level.

Cheers Mick

I just found this vid explaining PID waves & oscillation quite well. I know it’s for autonomous cars but the wave principal is there & quite easy to understand.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax