Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Looking for someone tech savvy who would like a side gig...

J Gold

Reaction score
Im fairly new to fpv racing I’ve flown rc choppers and planes in the past and owned a mini quad when drones were fairly new to the market.

I’d like to get back into the rc game, I’m looking for someone who can help me get fully set up. New sticks, goggles and a custom built drone linked and rtf prior to shipping.

If this is up your alley please dm me for specifics on what exactly I’m looking for. Your labor will be compensated. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum @J Gold.
There are a number of reasonable options available from retailers, If you have flown helis and planes, you shouldn't need much direction to research and put together a great setup. If you have questions we are glad to try and help you get started, dm me if you want to talk about what your thinking.

Welcome to the forum @J Gold.
There are a number of reasonable options available from retailers, If you have flown helis and planes, you shouldn't need much direction to research and put together a great setup. If you have questions we are glad to try and help you get started, dm me if you want to talk about what your thinking.
Thank you for the warm welcome.
I’ve looked at a few rtf set ups and have watched a few of UAVfutures vids on youtube but I’m looking for something a little more specific towards my needs.

I’d like to get someone with knowledge to help purchase all the parts needed and solder and put it all together, I’d like to combine an fpv racer to also be used for fishing I’d like a quality camera installed along with a fishing servo so I can scope the coast out for fish and drop a line 400 yards out.

When not used for fishing I’d want to be able to freestyle race it, strap on a go pro and get good video footage. I dont like the design and price of dji’s I think they are over priced for whats available on the market that can be built with parts and outperform at a lesser cost.

That is kind of like saying "I want a top fuel dragster for racing, but I want it to be able to go off road 4 wheeling too", it doesn't exist, or someone would be making and selling one. Also, if you have never flown an FPV quad in Acro mode then you will likely not be able to fly it successfully until you are quite practiced, but if you were very good at heli's than it should come fairly quickly to you. A lot of people start thinking that they can have it all, but I think you will find that is not the case.

I agree that you're looking for two different rigs. The fishing rig is usually a GPS enabled drone that's more akin to an arial photography rig. The freestyler is a completely different beast. Now, that said, I can already think of simple ways to deliver a line with an FPV frestyle rig, but you're going to need some real practice before you take it out fishing.

We've helped a lot of people get in the air on this site, and I've built rigs specifically for film guys that want to get into FPV.

What's your budget, and are you in the states?

I agree that you're looking for two different rigs. The fishing rig is usually a GPS enabled drone that's more akin to an arial photography rig. The freestyler is a completely different beast. Now, that said, I can already think of simple ways to deliver a line with an FPV frestyle rig, but you're going to need some real practice before you take it out fishing.

We've helped a lot of people get in the air on this site, and I've built rigs specifically for film guys that want to get into FPV.

What's your budget, and are you in the states?

Thanks for the info and I totally understand what you guys are saying, I do plan on practicing well on land before attempting to do an ocean run, I do have experience flying and I dont see it being any more challenging than other rc’s I’ve flown in the past I’ve practiced on slow quads and have my fair time with simulators.

Being that a racer is powerful enough to achieve speeds of up to 100mph I dont see why there’d be an an issue pulling an ounce of bait with it in the air or strapping a gopro on.

I would be interested in a return to home feature for solo fishing or if something fails or the signal breaks rather than it dropping it can sit and hover? A barometer on the goggles would be nice, from what I’ve researched I’ve seen that certain features can be added to a build just not sure to what extent and compatibility with the remote and goggles I’d need. But if none of that is possible I’m ok with flying in full dynamic mode at all times.

I’m in the states, as for the budget that would depend on the builder how much he/she can find all the necessary parts needed to bring it all together at a reasonable cost. If its a gig someone feels like taking up dm me for more info.

Reactions: rtkDarling
Truth is, you've gotta learn how to build them if you want to fly them, they break all the time and you'll have to fix it. You don't want to be sending it out for every little thing.

The "GPS SAVE" or "Return to home" feature on these kinds of quads isn't likely to be reliable enough to save you in the situation you're talking about. They're normally used by mountain surfers, and chances are you'd end up in the drink before it could save you because you're not high enough in the air.

What sims are you using? Flying FPV is nothing like flying any RC you've flown before. If you're not practicing in one of the real FPV sims, and with your actual RC controller, you're not getting real practice. I'm not being mean or discouraging, just saying that FPV flight is very difficult to master, and they're nothing like other drones.

Do you already have a 2.4 ghz controller, or a set of FPV goggles? The hardest part is pulling the trigger there. Then we make sure you're setup in a good sim, and get you a small quad to practice on. Once you're confident with that, the road ahead will seem far better illuminated.

I agree with you on that 100% I’ve used lift off with a plug in controller, I would want to purchase a new 2.4ghz controller and goggles, something decent I can use without needing to upgrade for a while. I’m just not sure where to start, there are so many diff options and prices not sure if I should just pull the trigger on a full b&f package or piece things together ? I’m ready to start flying though.

Do your research, but if I was starting over right now, I think I would lean towards the TBS Tango2. I have a Jumper T16 pro now, and I like it. I bought a crossfire mod for it, so together it was almost $300. While it's multiprotocol and that's great, crossfire is the only radio protocol that I really trust anymore. It's great that I can fly my cheap SPI D8 toothpicks, but I failsafe all the time. I should have just sprung for crossfire across the board. Plus the Tango 2 is MUCH smaller than my T16 (which is massive)

The other elephant in the room is DJI digital. I'm about to pull that trigger, and I assume there's no going back. It's a lot more expensive, but it's looking like digital HD FPV is where it's at.

Here's a good resource

Reactions: HighTechPauper
Man I just spent the last couple hours doing more research on quality video feed set ups before reading your reply, I’ve convinced myself that i’m def going with dji’s digital fpv over anything else, totally worth the $ I’ll update here once I’m up and flying with what I end up with ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax