Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

RealAverageJunior

Reaction score
I've been thinking about getting into cinematic FPV for almost two years now. After doing quite a few hours of research tonight, getting into it is even more intimidating than expected.

I'm looking for a set up that is optimal for a beginner but has a little room to grow (I've found maybe the protek35?)

I've seen the dji goggles and radio are compatible. It seems to me this is a good plug n play set up because my end goal is to be flying as much as possible. I've also considered the TBS Oblivion, and I'm assuming most goggles and radio are compatible there. I'm not too in tune with the hardware and software knowledge needed for FPV; like I said, my end goal is to step up my film making.

Of course to learn, I'll get invested in a simulator (Velocidrone), but want to have a decent set up in mind so I know what radio to buy for use with Velocidrone.

I know there are a million noob posts. Thanks for any advice and gear recommendations.

Reactions: harleydude
Okay, I have a new thought. iFlight Protek35, QX7, and EV800D goggles. How do I know if they're compatible with one another, and how would I learn what I need / how to bind them? I think I would need a transmitter on the Protek35?
Again, thanks for helping this ultra beginner.

Reactions: harleydude
With all due respect, you should walk before you run. You wouldn't dive into a NASCAR with the same strategy. You buy a passenger car first and learn to drive and THEN consider moving up to the pro's. Though I have no experience with FPV I HAVE been through the cinema wringer. There are no scalable solutions. You buy a rig that takes you as far as you can go, and then you move up to a better rig to get to the next level. For example, I started with a completely customized Phantom 1 and an S1000 for heavy lifting. Both rigs not only became obsolete, they became SO obsolete that they became useless. So then I moved up to an Inspire 1 with an X3 and X5 cameras and an M600 Pro for heavy lifting. Now those rigs are considered obsolete. I have since gotten out of film (hated the work flow), but I imagine if I were still in film I would move up to the Inspire 2 and perhaps one of the enterprise Mavics.

I guess my point is that the technology is moving so quickly that "scalability" is somewhat of a pipe dream. This is why most guys in this forum probably have a half dozen drones or more, half of which are collecting dust because they became obsolete.

I believe a more practical strategy is to purchase what you can afford and get really good with that equipment so that you can get jobs so that you can ROI that equipment, and then move on to the next generation. I concede I may be wrong, as FPV is a whole other deal out of my realm, but dollars to doughnuts, I'm not.

UPDATE: Okay....so I researched your rig. Seems you're on the right track. When you said "step up my film making," I assumed you were talking about professional film industry stuff. I guess you're talking about *personal* films for yourself and family. I would say you have picked a good rig for such an endeavor.

Best of luck.

D

Last edited:
Okay, I have a new thought. iFlight Protek35, QX7, and EV800D goggles. How do I know if they're compatible with one another, and how would I learn what I need / how to bind them? I think I would need a transmitter on the Protek35?
Again, thanks for helping this ultra beginner.
I have a system I ordered from iflight (Nazgul Evoque F5, Caddx Vista, DJI mode 2 controller, and DJI Goggles V2). After I put it all together I checked with the people putting the system together for me (iflight) and they confirmed everything was compatible. Great ordering experience with them.

Good call on the simulator. I ordered my fpv system thinking I would be a pro from all my 30+ years of video gaming. Considering how expensive the drone and setup were I decided I would try a simulator out for fun before flying the Nazgul. Holy cow am I glad I did. I could not fly it straight between uprights! I spent about two weeks on the sim before flying the real deal and it totally paid off. Don't get me wrong, I crashed a ton the first day and went through some props but by the second day I was flying just like I did in the sim. Last tip I'll pass off is to practice landing in the sim haha. Good luck! Once you start fpv you'll be hooked 😉

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax