Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Newbie asking for help on choosing equipment

Now is when I really wish you could set up a good old fashioned ground station with the DJI stuff, I was just thinking about how this hobby can get people a new and higher perspective of their local world, and get them virtually out of the limited box we are all in. SO let's all try to gather all the ride along's we can provide our poor earth bound brethren! Maybe this could justify an extra set of goggles LOL ;)
Well I’ve got a set of DJI goggles and a set of fatsharks, I’ve got the analogue adapter for the DJI set, just need another rapid fire module etc and I could share the love. One of the crew bought a Yuneec 4K drone to try and I helped him get it up and running and he’s loving it. He’s been sneaking around with it until we are good to go, hoping for an answer shortly.

@bzmot, what I meant was you posted a link for XT30 connectors and asked me "By banana plug, do you mean this little fella?" and I was saying no those are not banana plugs and that they were XT30's. I then said you needed what Tevek had posted a link to, which is a Banana plug to XT30 adapter.

So you do not want these, they are bare XT30 connectors, and they are NOT banana plugs.

This is what you need and it is a banana plug to XT30 adapter cable. the banana plugs should fit in your B6 charger, and the other end goes on the battery.

DO NOT FORGET to attach both the main leads AND the balance lead, and only charge in Balance Charge mode.

Thanks so much to both of you guys!

Now, how about I save myself the trouble and get the proper FrSky battery:

1. It's NiMH so I guess for this one I won't need the banana adapter, will I?
2. Do you only need those adapters for charging LiPO batteries?
3. And if 2 is true, then I guess I'll need the adapter to charge the drone battery, once I get a drone correct?

@bzmot
I would suggest you just stick with the battery you have. It is also a 3500mAh with the one you listed above only being a 2000mAh. The one you have now should last longer per charge.
If you ever use smaller lipos on a smaller quad, 2s, 3s, 4s, they generally have the smaller XT30 plugs. The larger batteries 5s and up typically use the XT60 size plug.

Well I’ve got a set of DJI goggles and a set of fatsharks, I’ve got the analogue adapter for the DJI set, just need another rapid fire module etc and I could share the love. One of the crew bought a Yuneec 4K drone to try and I helped him get it up and running and he’s loving it. He’s been sneaking around with it until we are good to go, hoping for an answer shortly.

Great!
So this is what I am getting as an adapter for XT30 batteries yeah?
VUNIVERSUM Original Premium Ladekabel mit XT30 Stecker Goldstecker auf 4mm Bananenstecker 30cm 16AWG Kabel für Lipo Akku von Mr. Stecker Modellbau®: Amazon.de: Spielzeug

And the charger charges larger XT60 batteries out of the box, correct?

One more thing: the Taranis radio only has this kind of a socket in the battery compartment. But my LiPo battery has these plugs, one of which I assume is the XT30. I have no idea how to connect this battery, but even by its size it doesn't fit into the radio so I think I will need the smaller FrSky battery with the right kind of plug after all...

Attachments

• IMG_6935.JPG
    IMG_6935.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4683.JPG
    IMG_4683.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 5
@bzmot
I would suggest you just stick with the battery you have. It is also a 3500mAh with the one you listed above only being a 2000mAh. The one you have now should last longer per charge.
If you ever use smaller lipos on a smaller quad, 2s, 3s, 4s, they generally have the smaller XT30 plugs. The larger batteries 5s and up typically use the XT60 size plug.
Thanks!

Great!
So this is what I am getting as an adapter for XT30 batteries yeah?
VUNIVERSUM Original Premium Ladekabel mit XT30 Stecker Goldstecker auf 4mm Bananenstecker 30cm 16AWG Kabel für Lipo Akku von Mr. Stecker Modellbau®: Amazon.de: Spielzeug

And the charger charges larger XT60 batteries out of the box, correct?

One more thing: the Taranis radio only has this kind of a socket in the battery compartment. But my LiPo battery has these plugs, one of which I assume is the XT30. I have no idea how to connect this battery, but even by its size it doesn't fit into the radio so I think I will need the smaller FrSky battery with the right kind of plug after all...
Yes, that is what you need for XT30 batteries if the charger does not come with it.

My imax B6 charger came with a XT30 and not a XT60. You need to check the picture from the one you are buying.
Connector.png

That is not the battery compartment. That is for external modules.
The battery cover is at the bottom. Slide the cover towards the bottom to remove. Then the battery plugs into the ballanced connector.
QX&batt.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, that is what you need for XT30 batteries if the charger does not come with it.

My imax B6 charger came with a XT30 and not a XT60. You need to check the picture from the one you are buying.
View attachment 4064

The battery cover is at the bottom. Slide the cover towards the bottom to remove. Then the battery plugs into the ballanced connector.
View attachment 4063
Hahaha Ok I get it now. Thanks! It is working now, so I can try and get the sim fired up.
So every battery has two cables then? One for charging and the other one to connect to the device it powers?

View attachment 4064

View attachment 4063

also, this is probably another silly question but where do the goggles get their power from? Is there a battery inside them or are they connected to the remote controller for power?

Hahaha Ok I get it now. Thanks! It is working now, so I can try and get the sim fired up.
So every battery has two cables then? One for charging and the other one to connect to the device it powers?

For the most part. My QX7 controller is the only device I have seen that uses the ballance plug for power. Typically the XT30/XT60 is what plugs in to power something. The battery for my goggles has three. The ballance jack and two power jacks with one of them being an XT60 (not sure why they used XT60 on this as it is 2s and would have liked XT30 instead) and the jack for the goggles.

Most goggles have an external battery pack to power them.
goggle.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if they state it in the QX7 manual but when you go to disconnect the controller from the PC, you need to eject it first just like you would a usb stick to avoid data coruption before unplugging it. I was just unplugging mine without the ejecting procedure first and fried the mainboard in my controller. Lucky for me there was just over a week left on the warranty so it got fixed for free. Unfortunately I went almost two weeks without a controller and it drove me nuts...

Reactions: bzmot and Wayno52
I don't know if they state it in the QX7 manual but when you go to disconnect the controller from the PC, you need to eject it first just like you would a usb stick to avoid data coruption before unplugging it. I was just unplugging mine without the ejecting procedure first and fried the mainboard in my controller. Lucky for me there was just over a week left on the warranty so it got fixed for free. Unfortunately I went almost two weeks without a controller and it drove me nuts...

Wow! Ok thanks!

I'm still grappling with the sheer amount of levers and buttons on the controllers. Looks like the dashboard of a small airplane. Are there any tutorials as to which button does what? The manual is not very explicit about it. Do the sims tell you how to do what?

Reactions: Wayno52
For the most part. My QX7 controller is the only device I have seen that uses the ballance plug for power. Typically the XT30/XT60 is what plugs in to power something. The battery for my goggles has three. The ballance jack and two power jacks with one of them being an XT60 (not sure why they used XT60 on this as it is 2s and would have liked XT30 instead) and the jack for the goggles.

Most goggles have an external battery pack to power them.
View attachment 4067

I see. Do you know if the DJI Goggles do too?

Hi buddy, the sticks on your new tx are almost entirely up to you.
You can have mode 1 or mode 2.
Mode 2 is probably the most commonly used. This means that throttle and yaw are on your left main stick. Roll and pitch on your right.
As for all the other switches they come down to what you assign them to be.
For instance an arm switch, to arm and dissarm your quad. Mode switch, angle, horizon, acro. ( Self leveling or not self leveling)
Then you can assign switches for things like a a buzzer for finding your bird, turtle mode to flip back over when upside down and so on.
A lot to learn I know but worth every second once your in the air.

Reactions: tevek and bzmot

Good to know!!! So basically the controls for flying are the same as on a Mavic plus some extras for flipping over AND such. I thought in addition to acquiring really good reflexes and muscle memory I'd also have to use all of those switches to fly..

Last edited:
Reactions: Wayno52
No not at all, they are there to have extra functions only. Your main sticks are the same with all controllers.
You need to assign switches on your tx, and in betaflight and then you really have to just arm quad and fly with throttle,yaw,pitch and roll. Land and dissarm.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kylst18