Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Robocat 270 build

Oh, I think I had seen this page before... and yea, choosing a battery is a daunting task, as well as motors and props... they all work together, and it's hard to understand. I did choose my parts from reading a bunch of posts on different sites, so I compared and contrasted... and I think it's all going to work.
Here's where I stand: Currently I have a Naze32, but have it with vertical pins.....

Ok, I'll probably be asking you a lot of these questions..lol, but what is a Naze32?? I've seen people talk about them before, I'm guessing it's a flight controller. Is that the only one that people use, I've never heard of alternatives, although I imagine that's what you're referring to when you said you got the SP F3 thing, and it ended up being junk. How pricey is a Naze32?

I've learned a LOT in the past few months, built a 500mm quad, finished it last month, and now building the Robocat.

The Naze32 is a flight controller. There are others you'll see as well: CC3D, KK 2.0, Flip32, and even Pixhawk. Pixhawk is a bigger unit, does a lot more, and is about 10-times more expensive... lol... that's what I have in my 500mm build.

The SP Racing F3 is a new style flight controller, and it has a faster processor, and even on-board memory, for saving log files and such. The SP Racing flight controller was about $75, compared to the Naze32 I currently have, which was about $19. In comparison, the Pixhawk flight controller is about $200... lol...

The Naze32 and CC3D are, from what I've seen, the most popular. And then you'll see software options Cleanflight, Openflight, LibrePilot, and others, I think. I just started learning Cleanflight, and it seems pretty good so far. It's a LOT to wrap your head around, but once you figure out the flight controller you want, then read up on it and you'll learn.

I will NEVER claim I know everything about all of this, but using my past experience I'll help the best I can. I think others here know more, so hopefully they will chime in too...

The Naze32 and CC3D are, from what I've seen, the most popular. And then you'll see software options Cleanflight, Openflight, LibrePilot, and others, I think. I just started learning Cleanflight, and it seems pretty good so far.

The guy I got my 250 Storm from turned me onto Baseflight, I'm thinking that's the same type thing as Cleanflight. I've used it a little, but not much. I take it that will come into play more when I start building my own.

The guy I got my 250 Storm from turned me onto Baseflight, I'm thinking that's the same type thing as Cleanflight. I've used it a little, but not much. I take it that will come into play more when I start building my own.

I've heard a lot about both, but I think I heard more good about Cleanflight than Baseflight. The SP Racing F3 flight controller I'm getting was made by a guy who made Cleanflight, and it works best with it. But I bet they have a lot in common.

Wanted to share this awesome product I discovered about a month ago, I am not trying to promote it nor am I getting paid, It's just a kick *** product. It is called Sugru, and it can be used for endless amount of things and projects, but I have found that it is perfect for certain things on my racing drone! So far I have used it to firm up a loose antenna on my 250, re-mount my fpv camera, plus surrounding the camera with it to be shock proof, and I have also taken off my landing pegs and replaced them with sugru for softer landing. I plan on using it a bunch when I start my first build, It comes in a lot of colors and you can buy it online. I'm sure some of you may have heard of it, but If you haven't, check it out, you will not regret it!

https Sugru red blob and packshot.jpg

Ok, so I'm still going with my Robocat, I am including a picture taken 5 minutes ago from the date of this post. If this New England weather wasn't so messed up I probably would have done a test flight this weekend.

Anyway, still putting some finishing touches on it, including a LED bar on the back, and I actually ordered an OLED display that my SP Racing F3 flight controller can talk to, so THAT should be cool...

Sorry if it's not the best picture, but feel free to ask any questions...

Attachments

• IMG_0652.JPG
    IMG_0652.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 19
Reactions: Jack Ley
Nice looking kit! I like the looks of the Robocat, but I am trying to go 250MM or smaller on my builds, Hopefully tomorrow I'll start on my first 210MM Build. I do love the looks of the Robo!

I was thinking about a 210mm... was looking at this:

RMRC Hellbender 204 - Kit [RMRC-HB-204-KIT] - $39.99 : Ready Made RC LLC, The Leader in All Things FPV, RC, and Beyond

I kinda like the style of the frame, and like how the parts fit. I have 3 extra flight controllers, so they'll need a home, right?? lol...
I have looked at the Hellbender before. It looks like a good kit to build. I ended up getting a Speed Addict 210-R since it is an x-frame and an use the new red bottom race motors from Emax. I thought I would have it built by today but ran into an issue where I forgot to order 90 degree pin headers. Looks like it won't be until next week that I get to complete and maiden it.

So here is my ALMOST complete Robocat. Just got an OLED screen delivered today, so I'll put that on tonight, not much else left to do. Only reason why I did an OLED was because the SP Racing FC supports it, and it was only $8.00... lol... so why not, right?IMG_0677.JPG

So here is my ALMOST complete Robocat. Just got an OLED screen delivered today, so I'll put that on tonight, not much else left to do. Only reason why I did an OLED was because the SP Racing FC supports it, and it was only $8.00... lol... so why not, right?View attachment 53

Looks really good! What are the two yellow antennas in the back? Are those just for the video transmitter?

Looks really good! What are the two yellow antennas in the back? Are those just for the video transmitter?

Video is usually a Circular style antenna or "mushroom" . the ones you are asking about are the RC receiver antennas. You can see the blue VTX circular antenna right between the yellow receiver antennas.

As Hebrews said, it is for the receiver. I got a great tip from someone on another site... what you do is take zip-ties, cut off the "lock" end, then use that long plastic to run along the receiver wire, then heat-shrink it all together. It is stable enough to hold up, but flexible enough to not get knocked off if it hits something. The only reason it looks like it's in "stages" is because I didn't have a piece of heat shrink long enough to fit the whole thing. It works very well.

And yes, the blue antenna is for the video Tx.

Made a very quick video for some people on another site, to prove I can get this thing flying.. I've had so many issues with this build that I thought I'd NEVER get it off the ground... lol...

So here is my ALMOST complete Robocat. Just got an OLED screen delivered today, so I'll put that on tonight, not much else left to do. Only reason why I did an OLED was because the SP Racing FC supports it, and it was only $8.00... lol... so why not, right

Started my Robocat last week, I just finished the frame and am getting ready to start the wiring, so I might be bugging you for more questions..lol. I kind of asked you this before, but did yours come as a kit, like mine? If it did, was everything you need to fly, except for the camera, in the box? I know you said you did some upgrades, but could I theoretically fly mine with everything they sent me?

Last edited:
Started my Robocat last week, I just finished the frame and am getting ready to start the wiring, so I might be bugging you for more questions..lol. I kind of asked you this before, but did yours come as a kit, like mine? If it did, was everything you need to fly, except for the camera, in the box? I know you said you did some upgrades, but could I theoretically fly mine with everything they sent me?

No, mine wasn't a kit, bought it all separate. More expensive that way, but you get to pick exactly what you want. I'm not sure what your kit included, so give a quick list and we'll see. And I'd be happy to answer any questions the best I can.

And for me, buying separate helps me learn about the components and what they do, and why one piece's specs are better than others. So post what was in your kit...

No, mine wasn't a kit, bought it all separate. More expensive that way, but you get to pick exactly what you want. I'm not sure what your kit included, so give a quick list and we'll see. And I'd be happy to answer any questions the best I can.

I found out last night doing some youtube research that I do need to buy a receiver, which I ordered from ebay, I also need to order a video transmitter, then I think I'll be good to go. Does the video transmitter have to be the same brand as the fpv camera I have, or do they all pretty much work with each other?

I like that you picked your own parts out, that is what I want to do on my second build, for this one I just want the bare bone parts so I get the gist of building one, don't even care if it's a good racer or not, just want the experience.

I found out last night doing some youtube research that I do need to buy a receiver, which I ordered from ebay, I also need to order a video transmitter, then I think I'll be good to go. Does the video transmitter have to be the same brand as the fpv camera I have, or do they all pretty much work with each other?

The brand really doesn't matter, but you MUST make sure your video transmitter broadcasts on a channel or channels that your video receiver (either a monitor or goggles) is compatible with. Double or triple check that first. Typically you can get a video transmitter (or VTx) that will transmit up to 40 channels, and those channels are usually listed on the web site that you buy it from... same with what you want to view the video with (the VRx).

Also, you do need to check the wires from the camera to the VTx. If you don't have the right ones, they are available just about anywhere...

I like that you picked your own parts out, that is what I want to do on my second build, for this one I just want the bare bone parts so I get the gist of building one, don't even care if it's a good racer or not, just want the experience.

That makes total sense... can't wait to see it!

So I haven't posted in a while, but here's what's happening...

I flew my Robocat twice... the second time I did it was about 10 feet off the ground, and it just powered off and dropped like a rock. I wasn't sure what happened, but I broke a prop, and also cracked the 3D printed mount for my receiver. So I took it home and connected the FC to my computer, and it connected fine. But when I connected the battery it was totally dead. So I took the FC off the frame and connected it to my computer, and backed up the configuration. As i grabbed the FC to unplug it, I burned my finger on something on the bottom of the board. Come to find out the voltage regulator on the board fried, and that's why the battery wouldn't work.

So luckily I got the board replaced for free, but it also took out my LED bar and MinimOSD. I finally got it all back together but haven't had a chance to fly it again. I'm including a picture... I also changed the props to 3-blade, in testing it seems a little peppier than with 2-blade, we'll see....IMG_0805.JPG

Thanks for the update, looks good, glad you figured out the problem. My Robocat build is coming along nicely except for a snag I ran into with the fpv set up, maybe you can help.....First off, I noticed many people use the battery for power, but I ran the power straight to pdb, with a disconnect clip, is that bad? Second, I know the camera is 12v, but the generic video TX I got doesn't say if it's 12v or 5v, also it has a sticker that says 32ch on it but when I power it up the little digital channel read out only goes to 8 channels. And yes, the antenna is on the TX every time I power it. I'm trying pair it with my Fat Shark goggles, certain channels flicker when I move/shake the antenna, so I think I'm on the right track. The Fat Sharks work perfectly with my other quad, so I know they're not the problem, I'm stumped.

fpv 1.JPG fpv 2.JPG fpv 3.JPG

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax