Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Robocat 270 build

Thanks for the update, looks good, glad you figured out the problem. My Robocat build is coming along nicely except for a snag I ran into with the fpv set up, maybe you can help.....First off, I noticed many people use the battery for power, but I ran the power straight to pdb, with a disconnect clip, is that bad?

Not sure if I understand... typically the +/- power from the battery run to a main +/- on the PDB, then things get soldered to the PDB, such as your ESC's, and some PDB's have dedicated 5v or 12v pads to solder other things to. On my build my PDB is actually one big bottom plate, and it has 2 sets of 5v and 12v pins, so all I have to do is connect things to those pins. So... your battery has a female XT60 connector, and you plug that into a male XT60 that you solder on to your +/- that runs to the PDB.

Second, I know the camera is 12v, but the generic video TX I got doesn't say if it's 12v or 5v, also it has a sticker that says 32ch on it but when I power it up the little digital channel read out only goes to 8 channels. And yes, the antenna is on the TX every time I power it. I'm trying pair it with my Fat Shark goggles, certain channels flicker when I move/shake the antenna, so I think I'm on the right track. The Fat Sharks work perfectly with my other quad, so I know they're not the problem, I'm stumped.

I've never seen that video Tx before. Most video Tx units take 12v, but can usually accept variable voltages, like the video Tx I use is a Rotorgeeks FX799T, and it takes 7-20v, but runs at 12v. a lot of people run a wire right from the main +/- from the PDB to the video Tx. For me, since my PDB has dedicated pins, I plug it into one set of 12v and I'm fine. The video Tx also has power output to your camera, but I think most only supply 5v for a camera. My FX799T outputs 5v for the camera, and my camera is 5v, so I power it from the Tx. For 12v, you might need to either run a 21v +/- from your PDB if it has a 12v out, or run a line from your main power into the PDB and get a step-down converter to bring the power down to 12v.

So your main focus might be to really research that Tx to find out what it is. There must be a button on it that changes the Band. It's probably 8 channels on 4 Bands, which makes it 32 channels. Mine is 8 channels on 5 Bands making it 40 channel...

Did you get all that??? lol...

Not sure if I understand... typically the +/- power from the battery run to a main +/- on the PDB, then things get soldered to the PDB, such as your ESC's, and some PDB's have dedicated 5v or 12v pads to solder other things to. On my build my PDB is actually one big bottom plate, and it has 2 sets of 5v and 12v pins, so all I have to do is connect things to those pins. So... your battery has a female XT60 connector, and you plug that into a male XT60 that you solder on to your +/- that runs to the PDB.

Yes I totally got all that, sorry I was so vague in my original post, I've done some research since then and I think I have a better handle on everything.

Well, my first quad I had built for me and several other builds I've seen, are like the picture below. You have a XT60 wires/connector and smaller wires with a 3 or 4 pin connector. The smaller 3 or 4 pin goes to an extension from the vtx or straight to the vtx, that way you get camera and vtx power straight from the battery and don't have to mess with the pdb board. What I did is take the vtx power wires straight to the pdb, which I have found out since my last post is completely fine.

I also found out several other things, you are correct about the band, I hold the button for two seconds and the vtx switches between 4 bands. I also figured out that my vtx is 5v for sure and my camera is 12v. Now it can receive power from 7-20v like yours, what I meant on my original post was the voltage output, which I should have been clearer. The output of a vtx is either 5v or 12v and it has to match the camera, my camera is 12v unfortunately, so I need to either get a 12v vtx or a step down/up converter, which I have just ordered both of ebay..lol.

Thanks again for all the help, I'll keep you updated, hopefully I'll have the fpv working next time I post.

IMG_1880.JPG

Yes I totally got all that, sorry I was so vague in my original post, I've done some research since then and I think I have a better handle on everything.

Well, my first quad I had built for me and several other builds I've seen, are like the picture below. You have a XT60 wires/connector and smaller wires with a 3 or 4 pin connector. The smaller 3 or 4 pin goes to an extension from the vtx or straight to the vtx, that way you get camera and vtx power straight from the battery and don't have to mess with the pdb board. What I did is take the vtx power wires straight to the pdb, which I have found out since my last post is completely fine.

I also found out several other things, you are correct about the band, I hold the button for two seconds and the vtx switches between 4 bands. I also figured out that my vtx is 5v for sure and my camera is 12v. Now it can receive power from 7-20v like yours, what I meant on my original post was the voltage output, which I should have been clearer. The output of a vtx is either 5v or 12v and it has to match the camera, my camera is 12v unfortunately, so I need to either get a 12v vtx or a step down/up converter, which I have just ordered both of ebay..lol.

Thanks again for all the help, I'll keep you updated, hopefully I'll have the fpv working next time I post.

No worries... I do what I can to help. Took me a bit to get a handle on power requirements and such, and after 2 and a half builds I'm finally getting it... lol...

And if you think this build is challenging, the one I'm working on now is a quad put out by ReadyMadeRC, the Hellbender 122. Challenging isn't a strong enough word for this one... lol... it's like putting 10 pounds of crap in a 5 pound bag.. lol.. Google it if you have a chance... going to be fun once it's together..

Reactions: Hebrews12v2
And if you think this build is challenging, the one I'm working on now is a quad put out by ReadyMadeRC, the Hellbender 122. Challenging isn't a strong enough word for this one... lol... it's like putting 10 pounds of crap in a 5 pound bag.. lol.. Google it if you have a chance... going to be fun once it's together..

Holy crap, that is small!! Is it worth the effort? Are they fun to fly?

Hey guys only new and this place is great for info. I am based in Australia and also on 2 robocat builds as my son wanted one so war was declared...
Just have a question? with the small ccd controller their are two antennas but in the other kit there is none? what is the diff?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
happypapaya