Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

The Avata is incredible.

John Gowland

Reaction score

I picked up a DJI Avata Pro-View Combo today and oh my is it good to fly. You have probably got the DJI FPV but it’s a totally different experience to that. I am not saying it is better just totally different. Within seconds you feel confident to get close to things, ground, tree, metal gaps, it just begs to be flown close to stuff and its darn fast. Because you are close it seems faster than the FPV, there is no way I am selling the FPV, but it will not be getting much flight time for a while. An absolute blast! My biggest concern was the short CE connection distance rather than the FCC you lucky buggers get in the states. But it performed great went for a distance from my house and never lost connection with buildings in between. If you are planning to get the Avata it will blow you away unless of course you are a seasoned fpv flyer, even then guys who are also blown away. I only had one battery which gave me about 13 mins in Normal mode and short burst in Sport mode. Now I have to go and get a controller 2 to bind with the FVP, shame you can’t have multiple aircraft with one rc, but a minor inconvenience. Of course, now I have to get more batteries and there are none in my city Perth. Outlets are telling me it could be a month, so I ordered a DJI Avata Fly More Kit at DJI online, which is two more batteries and a charging block which charges three. Of course, it charges the battery with the biggest charge in it, first but you can do two at a time with the little one battery charge that comes with the Combo. Just charged the battery up and ready for some house flying because it's dark here now. Enjoy!

edit
And it's amazing in the house or any building - rock solid through doors and gaps. :) What a drone.

Last edited:
I think the Avata will be a "gateway" FPV drone and I'm a good example of why. I looked at the DJI FPV and other FPV drones some time ago and decided they were too much for me. I was intimidated and so backed away from FPV overall. Among other things, I was put off by people saying the DJI FPV was a damageable piece and that repairs weren't cheap.

When I saw the announcement write-up of the Avata, I saw a "beginner-friendly FPV starter vehicle" that I could handle. I ordered it on the spot.

I'll be surprised if the Avata doesn't enjoy over-the-top sales, trigger a period of new popularity for FPV flying and boost FPV flying to the top of recreational hobbyist flying.

Last edited:
Reactions: FPV Drone lover
I think the Avata will be a "gateway" FPV drone and I'm a good example of why. I looked at the DJI FPV and other FPV drones some time ago and decided they were too much for me. I was intimidated and so backed away from FPV overall. Among other things, I was put off by people saying the DJI FPV was a damageable piece and that repairs weren't cheap.

When I saw the announcement write-up of the Avata, I saw a "beginner-friendly FPV starter vehicle" that I could handle. I ordered it on the spot.

I'll be surprised if the Avata doesn't enjoy over-the-top sales, trigger a period of new popularity for FPV flying and boost FVP flying to the top of recreational hobbyist flying.
Agree 100% Ned.

Now here is a funny thing. I have noticed that the goggles do not fit properly around your face I have to push them down on to the bridge of my nose. I noted this same problem was experienced by two guys who were reviewing the Avata. It is clear to me that the goggles were tested on asian faces which are flatter than a typical caucasian face, they tend to have bigger noses than say Chinese where the goggles were designed and made.
DJI you did not test them on caucasian faces only Chinese. Funny as, and I am certain that is what happend. Anyway there will be some third party foam that will alleviate the problem and produce a solution.

Reactions: Anzacjack
there will be some third party foam that will alleviate the problem and produce a solution
Yep! A 3rd party usually comes along to fix DJI's shortcomings.

The DJI FPV Goggles V2 didn't fit me so well either -- as they leaked light a bit. I was able to resolve the issue by replacing the foam.

I see DJI already has the DJI Goggles 2 Foam Padding in their store. It's odd that they just didn't make this the standard padding.

1661711330451.png

Reactions: hagman23
Saw it but it's not really clear whether that's an "improved replacement" or just a spare for the stock one...

Reactions: lotusteve
Upon closer inspection of the photos, it looks like it might just be a replacement :(

The padding is pretty much my only beef at the moment.
Hopefully wont have long to wait for something better

I picked up a DJI Avata Pro-View Combo today and oh my is it good to fly. You have probably got the DJI FPV but it’s a totally different experience to that. I am not saying it is better just totally different. Within seconds you feel confident to get close to things, ground, tree, metal gaps, it just begs to be flown close to stuff and its darn fast. Because you are close it seems faster than the FPV, there is no way I am selling the FPV, but it will not be getting much flight time for a while. An absolute blast! My biggest concern was the short CE connection distance rather than the FCC you lucky buggers get in the states. But it performed great went for a distance from my house and never lost connection with buildings in between. If you are planning to get the Avata it will blow you away unless of course you are a seasoned fpv flyer, even then guys who are also blown away. I only had one battery which gave me about 13 mins in Normal mode and short burst in Sport mode. Now I have to go and get a controller 2 to bind with the FVP, shame you can’t have multiple aircraft with one rc, but a minor inconvenience. Of course, now I have to get more batteries and there are none in my city Perth. Outlets are telling me it could be a month, so I ordered a DJI Avata Fly More Kit at DJI online, which is two more batteries and a charging block which charges three. Of course, it charges the battery with the biggest charge in it, first but you can do two at a time with the little one battery charge that comes with the Combo. Just charged the battery up and ready for some house flying because it's dark here now. Enjoy!

edit
And it's amazing in the house or any building - rock solid through doors and gaps. :) What a drone.
Wonderful!

Can I buy just new googles w/o a drone?
No I don't think you can, never seen it, and I have looked at lots of online and local stores for parts. I know what you are thinking. If you have the DJI FPV you would get better range with the new ones. Sadly you can't, as yet, get the goggles alone. They only, so far, work with the Avata. Googles it. But you can buy the aircraft as a stand alone.

No I don't think you can, never seen it, and I have looked at lots of online and local stores for parts. I know what you are thinking. If you have the DJI FPV you would get better range with the new ones. Sadly you can't, as yet, get the goggles alone. They only, so far, work with the Avata. Googles it. But you can buy the aircraft as a stand alone.
Actually I am thinking about using new DJI googles as digital video system for racing or freestyle FPV (not DJI) drone. Previously it was called "DJI Digital FPV System" DJI Digital FPV System - DJI

Reactions: FPV Drone lover
Can I buy just new googles w/o a drone?
Not yet. But, I'm sure they'll available separately after DJI gets through the backlog of package sales.

Actually I am thinking about using new DJI googles as digital video system for racing or freestyle FPV (not DJI) drone. Previously it was called "DJI Digital FPV System" DJI Digital FPV System - DJI
Then you want the "FPV Goggles 2", these have been available separately since the release of the DJI FPV.

The "DJI Goggles 2" that are bundled with the avata are not available separately at this point, but they are not compatible with anything else than the Avata either.

Reactions: Dan

edit
I have the DJI FPV, and this confirms my decision that the Avata will be my next drone.

But your post may serve to accelerate the date when that happens...

Thx!

Reactions: John Gowland

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax