Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Avata Battery Falling Out?

CodeWriter

Reaction score
So… I have just bought an Avata and waiting for it to arrive. Doing the usual shop for accessories (this is my 7th drone) and I see lots of ‘battery clips’ designed to stop the battery falling out. Doing a quick Google I can’t see anything about this being a common problem. So is a clip to stop the battery falling out really necessary? And is there a real risk of this happening?

In flight no, but when crashing the battery can be ejected. IMO it's a good thing since if the heaviest part gets yeeted away that's less energy likely to damage the aircraft.

Reactions: Texas Red
In flight no, but when crashing the battery can be ejected. IMO it's a good thing since if the heaviest part gets yeeted away that's less energy likely to damage the aircraft.
^^^What he said

Put to a physics analysis, as the Avata tumbles, the specific impulse at each point of contact will be significantly less than if the mass includes the battery, and therefore is less likely to exceed the shear strength of the part in contact, and therefore less likely to fail.

Put differently, it's less likely to break if it's lighter 😁😁😁

I'm under the weather today, unable to get about, so I'm bored

I'd note the Avata's big brother, DJI FPV, has the same tendency. I've thrown the battery twice cutting grass in a big open field. It's a b***h finding the darn thing when it happens, and the drone too, in grass over 12". All the worse because you can't turn on ESC beeping.

Most DJI drones throw batteries sometimes on impact, FPV drones more because of how they're flown. A great feature to add would be some small internal battery on the drone that powers ESC beeping automatically if the battery is separated from the aircraft.

And a beeper in the battery that triggers if it's separated.

Originaldobo has created a strap for that, however I just use 2 fpv battery straps strapped together going from the “pillar” in front of the battery to the back of the battery, works.

Reactions: Dan
Maybe someone could come up with a way to attach an Apple AirTag to the battery…
I had the same thought using a Samsung smart tag... with a Samsung phone that supports it, there is a sort of radar that using Augmented Reality through the camera, indicates right where the tag is.

And it actually works quite well.

I can definitely confirm the battery issue. I was flying last week and pinned the throttle to climb and one of the propellors exploded (when I checked it was just gone, screws still in place). Avata crashed immediately and threw the battery. This was on a grassy field. Put the battery back in, good to go.

Second flight, was flying through a forested area and likely clipped a branch and the Avata lost control and crashed into a tree, ejecting the battery again. Unfortunately it was in a spot covered in leaves and twigs and bushes. I crawled around for an hour on my hands and knees in the underbrush trying to find the battery but it was to no avail. Found the drone, through.

So now I have the battery secured with a velcro zapstrap that will keep it from falling out. I am willing to risk potentially more damage in a crash than lose the battery again, and it will still have power so I can use the goggles and beep the drone to locate it if I am in a bad spot (hopefully).

Replacement battery on the way. They ain't cheap.

"More damage" still likely means "fixable".

And now having proven that third party motors are available, that can be fixed too.

The part that's hard to get – Flight Controller – is the part most likely to survive. It's pretty well protected.

Reactions: Aaron Hokanson
I had the same thought using a Samsung smart tag... with a Samsung phone that supports it, there is a sort of radar that using Augmented Reality through the camera, indicates right where the tag is.

And it actually works quite well.
Well, if the Smart Tag would stay on the battery with industrial strength Velcro, it looks like a good thing. At $30 each, it's a bit steep to add to each of my 4 batteries.

Well, if the Smart Tag would stay on the battery with industrial strength Velcro, it looks like a good thing. At $30 each, it's a bit steep to add to each of my 4 batteries.
A piece of nano tape would hold it on no problem. That stuff is crazy.

But yes, expensive little thing to add to an already expensive little thing. Going to need to come up with an acronym for drone similar to boat (bring out another thousand)

A piece of nano tape would hold it on no problem. That stuff is crazy.

But yes, expensive little thing to add to an already expensive little thing. Going to need to come up with an acronym for drone similar to boat (bring out another thousand)
BOAT! That made me smile. I'll remember that one.

Thing is, with a Samsung $30 Smart Tag and a wideband 5G Samsung phone, you will recover your $129 battery, even if it is completely hidden.

Pondering designing and printing some sort of bracket to attach to the battery that can securely hold the tag, but allow the setup to be easily transferred to another battery.

No ideas yet, need to accurately measure the battery first and get a model created in Fusion 360.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deco