Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Carrying Case?

So back to topic... cases! I have always been a backpack kinda guy, because I like to take my drones when being out&about(have only been flying mavics up till now). However, with the FPV I find that the whole decision to fly and the trip you go on is much different, and a hard case might fit that much better than a backpack.
But then... are we really routinely spending $300 just for a case? Is it lined with diamonds or so?
I am still really torn between compactness and ease of use. I’d love to leave the antennas on the goggles and the props on the drone, but I really don’t want to lug around with a case that is as big as my girls weekend bag... ahh decisions, decisions!

So back to topic... cases! I have always been a backpack kinda guy, because I like to take my drones when being out&about(have only been flying mavics up till now). However, with the FPV I find that the whole decision to fly and the trip you go on is much different, and a hard case might fit that much better than a backpack.
But then... are we really routinely spending $300 just for a case? Is it lined with diamonds or so?
I am still really torn between compactness and ease of use. I’d love to leave the antennas on the goggles and the props on the drone, but I really don’t want to lug around with a case that is as big as my girls weekend bag... ahh decisions, decisions!
in all honesty, you can’t just have one case for these things. If you are heading to the beach or out in the snow, take the hard case. If you are going for a hike in the woods, take a backpack. Cases which tend to do everything are terrible at specializing utility in a particular direction. They will be big, clunky, and won’t offer much protection.

the ultimate combo is the DJI FPV backpack and a Nanuk 945 hard case.

in all honesty, you can’t just have one case for these things. If you are heading to the beach or out in the snow, take the hard case. If you are going for a hike in the woods, take a backpack. Cases which tend to do everything are terrible at specializing utility in a particular direction. They will be big, clunky, and won’t offer much protection.

the ultimate combo is the DJI FPV backpack and a Nanuk 945 hard case.
That’s exactly the route I’m heading. Just waiting for the DJI FPV backpack to come back into stock.

Reactions: Halifax
Just ordered the Nanuk 945 from Omniview Tech. Thanks for the lead, Gents. Happy to stay with Nanuk and get to keep the props mounted.

Just ordered the Nanuk 945 from Omniview Tech. Thanks for the lead, Gents. Happy to stay with Nanuk and get to keep the props mounted.
Did you order off the website or did you call them? I have to have an orange one and don’t see it on the website.

Last edited:
Did you order off the website or did you call them? I have to have an orange one and don’t see it on the website.
They only stock the black case, likely for simplicity. OmniView is great to deal with (at least in my experience) so a quick phone call or email to their sales would likely get you any colour that Nanuk manufactures the 945 in

I ordered the black case from the website.

They only stock the black case, likely for simplicity. OmniView is great to deal with (at least in my experience) so a quick phone call or email to their sales would likely get you any colour that Nanuk manufactures the 945 in
Well I just got off the phone with them and special ordered the case in orange. She said it might take up to 3-4 weeks to get it, worth the wait to me.

Reactions: PinpointUAVS
Got my Nanuk 945 today. I’m confident that, with a minor modification, it would house the arm braces. After brief review of the case I’ve got two complaints.

1. As of yet I don’t see a place to store spare props. However, the top foam is removable (Velcro strips hold it in place) so I’m thinking I could create storage in the lid.

2. The battery storage slots are somewhat sloppy. However, this makes for very easy removal of the battery and allows for storage of small items, that won’t harm the batteries, in between. Such as small cords or silica packets.

A sixth battery can, in fact, be stored in the spare hood slot. The motion controller fits in the slot directly above the drone, however, the trigger must be fully depressed in order for it to be fully inserted into the slot. I find this somewhat concerning as I’m worried it will shorten the lifespan of the spring in the trigger. If you don’t plan to carry a sixth battery the motion controller easily fits in the spare hood slot.

There’s a very unpleasant smell, either from the foam or the adhesive, but I’m confident this will fade with time.

Here’s a few photos. The case is quite large, so anybody considering this case should take that into account. Personally I’m fine with the size of the case as it pales in comparison to the size of the cases for my P4M, M300 and D-RTK 2.

If anybody has questions feel free to ask.

Attachments

• AFB72197-1626-4F91-AD87-0CB6BB04B88E.jpeg
    AFB72197-1626-4F91-AD87-0CB6BB04B88E.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 21
  • 50C057D8-0C2C-48F6-822C-04AF4F29F306.jpeg
    50C057D8-0C2C-48F6-822C-04AF4F29F306.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 21
  • E9DA849B-7019-4174-A563-BC8A642F8AA9.jpeg
    E9DA849B-7019-4174-A563-BC8A642F8AA9.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 21
Reactions: JoostGT3
Got my Nanuk 945 today. I’m confident that, with a minor modification, it would house the arm braces. After brief review of the case I’ve got two complaints.

1. As of yet I don’t see a place to store spare props. However, the top foam is removable (Velcro strips hold it in place) so I’m thinking I could create storage in the lid.

2. The battery storage slots are somewhat sloppy. However, this makes for very easy removal of the battery and allows for storage of small items, that won’t harm the batteries, in between. Such as small cords or silica packets.

A sixth battery can, in fact, be stored in the spare hood slot. The motion controller fits in the slot directly above the drone, however, the trigger must be fully depressed in order for it to be fully inserted into the slot. I find this somewhat concerning as I’m worried it will shorten the lifespan of the spring in the trigger. If you don’t plan to carry a sixth battery the motion controller easily fits in the spare hood slot.

There’s a very unpleasant smell, either from the foam or the adhesive, but I’m confident this will fade with time.

Here’s a few photos. The case is quite large, so anybody considering this case should take that into account. Personally I’m fine with the size of the case as it pales in comparison to the size of the cases for my P4M, M300 and D-RTK 2.

I think you can certainly modify the motion controller slot to accommodate for the trigger, no?

Reactions: A.O.

So where do you put the large "charging block"? Is it under all the cables?

So where do you put the large "charging block"? Is it under all the cables?
If you zoom into the pictures Pinpoint posted, you can see the power brick stuffed in the cables compartment.

Reactions: A.O.
My drone is on its way back from the repair centre in California. It just crossed the boarder into Vancouver a couple of hours ago. Once I receive it I will check fitment with and without a battery mounted

My drone is on its way back from the repair centre in California. It just crossed the boarder into Vancouver a couple of hours ago. Once I receive it I will check fitment with and without a battery mounted
Hey Pinpoint, you mentioned that the battery compartment is sloppy. Do they rattle about? Move around? I can already tell that the goggle batteries aren’t exactly secure in their compartments.

if the batteries are rattling about during transport I am absolutely canceling my order.

Hey Pinpoint, you mentioned that the battery compartment is sloppy. Do they rattle about? Move around? I can already tell that the goggle batteries aren’t exactly secure in their compartments.

if the batteries are rattling about during transport I am absolutely canceling my order.
The batteries definitely have more room than they should. The points of foam between the batteries should’ve been longer to allow for a snugger fit for both the drone batteries and the goggles batteries.

After playing around with the case a little more I’ve realized that the spot where I placed the motion controller was actually designed to hold the power block, as it’s a perfect fit. However, I’m going to continue to use that space for the motion controller as there is no other space in the case that it fits well.

I have mixed feelings about this foam insert, and at this price point I shouldn’t. I think they had a great start but fell short on the finer details. However, the material itself is fantastic. As is the Nanuk case (no surprise there).

The batteries definitely have more room than they should. The points of foam between the batteries should’ve been longer to allow for a snugger fit for both the drone batteries and the goggles batteries.

After playing around with the case a little more I’ve realized that the spot where I placed the motion controller was actually designed to hold the power block, as it’s a perfect fit. However, I’m going to continue to use that space for the motion controller as there is no other space in the case that it fits well.

I have mixed feelings about this foam insert, and at this price point I shouldn’t. I think they had a great start but fell short on the finer details. However, the material itself is fantastic. As is the Nanuk case (no surprise there).
Man... I sent them an email to cancel my order. This is a tragedy. I was willing to put up with the lack of organized space, but this is ridiculous.

high powered LiPO batteries shouldn’t be rattling about, that’s a bloody fire hazard. I throw these things around and seems like this case needs some major modifications. Plus the motion controller was not even considered in designing this case. Oh and no spare prop storage? WTF?!

I have an empty MC Cases case which is just a smidge bigger - like 30mm in height - than their DJI FPV case. I will see if I can get jjst get the foam for this or utilize my own pluck foam.

And come to think of it, just a page or two back I was acting all uppity about the MC Case offering haha

Man... I sent them an email to cancel my order. This is a tragedy. I was willing to put up with the lack of organized space, but this is ridiculous.

high powered LiPO batteries shouldn’t be rattling about, that’s a bloody fire hazard. I throw these things around and seems like this case needs some major modifications. Plus the motion controller was not even considered in designing this case. Oh and no spare prop storage? WTF?!

I have an empty MC Cases case which is just a smidge bigger - like 30mm in height - than their DJI FPV case. I will see if I can get jjst get the foam for this or utilize my own pluck foam.

And come to think of it, just a page or two back I was acting all uppity about the MC Case offering haha
Honestly the more I look at it the more irritated I get. I may email them as well to see about a return.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
viorel007