Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

DJI FPV Impressions

It's a little amusing to me since I've been flying FPV for a decade on fixed wing and over 6 years on racing drones. It's an experience that many have not had before and watching people's reactions to their first experiences with FPV brings me back. It's all good! I get it! People are very excited and want to share. No disrespect intended.
Thanks. I've between flying for a long time myself from tethered planes to gas powered choppers to back when the only drones were DYI kits to the Parrot AR Drone to the 3DR Solo, etc. It's Amazing how far it's come!

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Yes, I just did and it worked well. I didn’t compare range inside and outside the car though.
Thank you my Go To testing area has been taken over by Sea Gulls but will try again today.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your DJI FPV

Reactions: A.O.
Little flight here as well :)

Had the freewell ND32 on for some motion blur.

Youtube really botches the quality unless 4K is selected for playback...

Reactions: thetechnobear
Thank you my Go To testing area has been taken over by Sea Gulls but will try again today.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your DJI FPV

Hey, sea gulls might be fun!!

Design Flaws:

Continuous landings jarring the battery,
Battery not shutting off , Error Messages with the battery while flying can all be solved with Hand Catching and gentile landings , but more easily said the done.

Some other FPV users keep saying its under powered but I am not sure if that means to go into a loop that it does not have a lot of juice to get you up so
can someone clarify that for me.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your DJI in the Rain and land on Water.
Battery design is a big mistake, there are reports of damage due to hard landings or bouncing, something I am well familiar with when learning on my other quads. This quad needs to be switched to normal for landings, or even hand land. I hear landing is vey tricky in Manual. OriginalDobo is printing a "bumper" for the batteries and some additional TPU accessories, the Battery "shield" looks promising, waiting on his video. Front landing legs are also suffering, getting badly scuffed because this thing will drag a little before leaving the ground, probably because of the slight forward angle on the props, so every time you take off on a porous surface, expect scuffing. I think OriginalDobo has a printed shoe for this too, not sure, but would be a good idea anyway.

Battery design is a big mistake, there are reports of damage due to hard landings or bouncing, something I am well familiar with when learning on my other quads. This quad needs to be switched to normal for landings, or even hand land. I hear landing is vey tricky in Manual. OriginalDobo is printing a "bumper" for the batteries and some additional TPU accessories, the Battery "shield" looks promising, waiting on his video. Front landing legs are also suffering, getting badly scuffed because this thing will drag a little before leaving the ground, probably because of the slight forward angle on the props, so every time you take off on a porous surface, expect scuffing. I think OriginalDobo has a printed shoe for this too, not sure, but would be a good idea anyway.

When we designed the Impact et Suits , We Made the Battery Impact Resistant and Water Resistant protecting the Power Plug.
No matter how the Drone hits or scratches the Surface its protected ,

The Impact Wet Suit will be released Soon
and all the Forum Members will get a discount package.

No Orange Yet , AO. :p

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your DJI FPV in the Rain and land on Water .

Screenshot 03-13-2021 22.01.34.jpg

Screenshot 03-13-2021 21.24.53.jpg

excluding, Ken Heron - have we seen others damaging the battery? (thats the only one Ive seen)
Personally, I see little reason to not use assisted landing with this drone - its not a hardcode fpv flyer, so im happy to use the features it has.

(of course, Ken didnt damage it landing, he damaged it by hitting the ground due to an error in judgement whilst flying)

seeing a few more videos with arm bracers... should DJI ever get them re-stocked, I can see these selling like hot-cakes.
(or perhaps some 3rd party carbon fibre versions will beat them too it)

excluding, Ken Heron - have we seen others damaging the battery? (thats the only one Ive seen)
Personally, I see little reason to not use assisted landing with this drone - its not a hardcode fpv flyer, so im happy to use the features it has.

(of course, Ken didnt damage it landing, he damaged it by hitting the ground due to an error in judgement whilst flying)

seeing a few more videos with arm bracers... should DJI ever get them re-stocked, I can see these selling like hot-cakes.

The battery is just to expensive not to Protect it. Not only do you have the occasional forced landing, but you also have puddles, water rain. Mud and Sand and Snow.
So the Impact Covers will provide a lot of value to keeping the drone and batteries in great shape.

We also noticed that the Drone is prone to flipping over which really scratches it up , thus the reason for Turtle mode , this is where the Impact Suits will protect the Center Frame.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your DJI FPV in the Pouring Rain and Land on Water.

Been trying to get them, got the mail telling me they were stocked and within minutes they were gone, I couldn't get, I can see someone making carbon replacement pieces like arms and bracers and even a battery bumper that attaches to the fuselage some how totally preventing the battery from touching the ground, yeah I know, mo money mo money mo money, not to mention more weight with additional pieces.

I personally like the braces. They fit on really tight and don't seem to have had a huge impact on the drone.

Been trying to get them, got the mail telling me they were stocked and within minutes they were gone, I couldn't get, I can see someone making carbon replacement pieces like arms and bracers and even a battery bumper that attaches to the fuselage some how totally preventing the battery from touching the ground, yeah I know, mo money mo money mo money, not to mention more weight with additional pieces.
I honestly don't see the problem with landing on the battery. Some people go out of their way to find fault with products. I used to watch a certain person's videos and point out his mistakes but I realized it's a waste of time. He really doesn't care. He probably did it on purpose to get clicks. It definitely seems that way considering the running around YouTube he did promoting his video. All I can say is RTFM...

Reactions: Kilrah
I didn't even really watch reviews, it's obvious there's an amount of click farming that's above average with this thing.
Easier and pays more to make an "OMG CRASHED/DAMAGED!!!!" video than an actual proper review...

Reactions: thetechnobear
I didn't even really watch reviews, it's obvious there's an amount of click farming that's above average with this thing.
Easier and pays more to make an "OMG CRASHED/DAMAGED!!!!" video than an actual proper review...
Pays?? Pays?? I can get paid for crashing?? Hmmm

When you've got some sort of news outlet that's able to monetize the good old "sensationalist" title/content, definitely :D

I honestly don't see the problem with landing on the battery. Some people go out of their way to find fault with products. I used to watch a certain person's videos and point out his mistakes but I realized it's a waste of time. He really doesn't care. He probably did it on purpose to get clicks. It definitely seems that way considering the running around YouTube he did promoting his video. All I can say is RTFM...
There is no problem with landing on the battery, What has happened is many people have attempted to land in Manual mode and in doing so have crashed the drone into the ground . In the case of Ken video he slammed the drone into the ground when he forgot to throttle and he expected it to be okay , it was clearly a hard crash.

The only Problem that we see is the Power Button is not Water Resistant on the Drone, thus a red flashing light on the drone on the inside wings is a warning that the Battery has been compromised even when the Battery has been turned off.

This is why we made the Battery Covers to Seal the Power Button and Overall Protect those Bottom feet and they come with the Impact Wet Suit Package.

Phantmomrain.org
Gear to fly your FPV in the Rain and Land On Water coming soon.

There is no problem with landing on the battery, What has happened is many people have attempted to land in Manual mode and in doing so have crashed the drone into the ground . In the case of Ken video he slammed the drone into the ground when he forgot to throttle and he expected it to be okay , it was clearly a hard crash.

The only Problem that we see is the Power Button is not Water Resistant on the Drone, thus a red flashing light on the drone on the inside wings is a warning that the Battery has been compromised even when the Battery has been turned off.

This is why we made the Battery Covers to Seal the Power Button and Overall Protect those Bottom feet and they come with the Impact Wet Suit Package.

Phantmomrain.org
So can you switch from manual mode while up in the air to land, or if flying in manual do you have to land in manual?

And does anyone have a link to this "Ken video" I keep hearing about?

So can you switch from manual mode while up in the air to land, or if flying in manual do you have to land in manual?

You can switch modes while in the air. I tried to take off a couple of times in manual mode, all of the times scraping the ground and crashing the drone. Then I started taking off in normal/sport mode. If you lift it to say 30m, then switch to manual, you see simulated sticks in the goggles, indicating in which position you should hold them for the drone to remain in a hover when in manual mode. If you keep the sticks in the required position for a determined time (1sec?), then it will switch to manual mode. Tilt the drone fwd, increase throttle a bit, and you're in business.

Same for landing; I just come in in manual mode, then switch to normal when close to the landing point and then land it that way. Lemon cheesey.

These FPV flyers are very prone to wanting to land the drone in Manual mode. Like all of them , and many have struggled flipping there drone, bouncing there drone like a rabbit on the ground.

You can at any time switch to Normal Mavic mode and land like a butterfly. I think its just below there skill level and so they
try to feather it down like they would a normal FPV but its heavier and they pay the price the first couple times .

Phantmomrain.org

Last edited:
Reactions: A.O. and droneguy

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
colorsone