Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Dumb down Mach25 and DX6e for a beginner?

wbgorex

Reaction score
Website
www.lanphier.net
Hi,

In lieu of buying a simulator, is there a way to dumb down the controls of a Mach 25 and DX6e for the purpose of learning them? Yesterday I was hoping to just leisurely hover to determine trim settings, but the Mach 25 shot straight up at high speed and then came back down equally fast, causing an impressive amount of damage.

Would some kind of throttle limiting or a milder acceleration curve help? I did a lot of tweaking in the process of binding the Mach 25 and getting the motors running, and may have accidentally changed settings I shouldn't have.

Otherwise, I really like Mach25/DX6 and hope to stick with it, rather than returning it for a lower performance quad, then eventually wanting it back.

Thanks!
Bill

Hi,

In lieu of buying a simulator, is there a way to dumb down the controls of a Mach 25 and DX6e for the purpose of learning them?
Thanks!
Bill

Assuming that you didn't change anything that you weren't supposed to, did you use any of the "beginner" flight modes? This alone should be enough assistance for learning. You could also tweak your throttle curves in the DX6e so that you could never really achieve full throttle. But, seeing that you should have "flight modes" available upon selection, I wouldn't adjust any pitch curve settings.

PS: Being a little heavy handed on takeoff is a good thing. After that, gentle stick movements are recommended.

Assuming that you didn't change anything that you weren't supposed to, did you use any of the "beginner" flight modes? This alone should be enough assistance for learning. You could also tweak your throttle curves in the DX6e so that you could never really achieve full throttle. But, seeing that you should have "flight modes" available upon selection, I wouldn't adjust any pitch curve settings.

PS: Being a little heavy handed on takeoff is a good thing. After that, gentle stick movements are recommended.

Hi PhoenixFord (et all),

Thanks to all for the help. But the problem was solved at this end. I discovered that, even though the propellers seem to go into the black/white inserts only a certain way, it's still possible to mount the A&Bs incorrectly, which is what I did. I'm probably lucky the only damage I did was to tear off one motor, bend its support tube, and waste 8 propellers. Now, with my only remaining propellers mounted correctly, the Mach 25 is totally manageable, at least at the throttle. And that's with the bent tube.

Beginner flight modes still seem worthwhile, but Horizon told me that there are nothing like that is availble with the Mach 25 and DX6e. Phoenix, can you tell me under which menu item I can find those, and % I should add/subtract? I don't trust Horizon tech totally, and they also told me DX6e can't run simulators because there is no USB. DX6e does have an SD port, though.

Thanks again, y'all. I was really close to returning the whole setup, which includes a Teleporter V4.

Bill

I don't see how a DX6e wouldn't be able to activate the angle and horizon stability modes. They don't list DX6e specifically in the manual, but I would try the toggle switch settings listed on page 5 for the DX6 (switch-B) and see if that does it.

Page 5
Beginner flight modes still seem worthwhile, but Horizon told me that there are nothing like that is availble with the Mach 25 and DX6e.
Bill

I don't know much about the DX6e. Does it have any 3-position switches? At the very least, I would think that you would have some mode select ability? Did you use the manual for set-up?
http://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/BLH8980-Manual-EN.pdf

Without a trainer port, the DX6e will not be able to connect directly to a sim. There is a "work-around" though. It involves connecting a Spektrum receiver to a USB. There is a manufacturer in the UK that builds these things. However, depending on what sim you want to use, I personally would recommend purchasing a dedicated sim controller. Spektrum digital technology doesn't play well with USB. So you wind up having to download more software to interface the two together. Something about using the Audio Input on the PC to control the sim. Everyone claims it works OK. I'm just not sold on going that route. I think the RealFlight Sim controllers will work on most USB sim's. But you will need to confirm. And you should be able to pick one up cheaply.

Page 5

I don't know much about the DX6e. Does it have any 3-position switches? At the very least, I would think that you would have some mode select ability? Did you use the manual for set-up?

Without a trainer port, the DX6e will not be able to connect directly to a sim. There is a "work-around" though. It involves connecting a Spektrum receiver to a USB. There is a manufacturer in the UK that builds these things. However, depending on what sim you want to use, I personally would recommend purchasing a dedicated sim controller. Spektrum digital technology doesn't play well with USB. So you wind up having to download more software to interface the two together. Something about using the Audio Input on the PC to control the sim. Everyone claims it works OK. I'm just not sold on going that route. I think the RealFlight Sim controllers will work on most USB sim's. But you will need to confirm. And you should be able to pick one up cheaply.

Thanks,
Page 5

Thanks for the info Phoenix. Yes, the DX6e does have some 3-position switches.

There should be a way to program the switches to work the different flight modes?

For now, the only switch that I've configured is a throttle cut. (Just getting into this, which I'm sure is pretty obvious ;)

Learning the transmitter is probably THE most important aspect of this hobby (in my humble opinion). Take your time and do the research to learn. FYI - the Helifreak forum has lots of information about Spektrum Transmitters. You can read for hours.

Thanks Phoenix. But lost the drone. :(

Sorry to hear that. But don't let it get you down. Being new, you'll have many more Up's and Down's. Sometimes the learning curve is steeper than others.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax