Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

FPV Waypoint or Auto Flight path

brekaydrone

Reaction score
Hi all - I am a new drone pilot, still trying to get my bearings with the DJI FPV. Its been pretty easy to learn so far. My intention for use is to video / time-lapse the progression of construction sites that my company is installing. With this, it would be so helpful to be able to use a Waypoint type app, but I'm not finding any yet that support the FPV. I've checked 'DroneLink' and 'DroneDeploy' so far.

That is very much the wrong aircraft to use for this. There are no intelligent flight modes or any third party app support, and the gimbal doesn't really lend itself to that kind of shoot either.

Reactions: dougcjohn and Haggi
That is very much the wrong aircraft to use for this. There are no intelligent flight modes or any third party app support, and the gimbal doesn't really lend itself to that kind of shoot either.
I appreciate it. I tried to tell the people who bought it at my office that it was not the right drone for the application. But they saw something fancy that was new. We do have an older phantom that is much more appropriate, but the camera isn’t as nice. Am I able to upgrade the camera on that phantom? I think it’s a phantom 3.

Nope.
For waypoints missions from DJI you'd want a Mavic 2 or Mavic Air 2 (the latter using 3rd party apps only), nothing newer has waypoint support. Mavic 3 is rumored to release soon and with a bit of luck it'll support that again and would satisfy the "shiny new" untold requirement...
The FPV is awesome but for dynamic footage and more "organic" hand-flying, i.e. the exact opposite of the others and the repeatable precision you need...

On the good side, maybe you can have some good fun flying it while you "try to make it work" :D

Last edited:
MA2 does support Waypoints missions in Hyperlapse with DJI Fly App....

Construction survey and way point for progressive video loops is possible with P4Pv2, Inspire 2 and M2P. All great options... including the Fly App platforms: Air2 series. The P4P, I2 and M2P use the DJIGo4App, Litchi, MapsMadeEasy, etc. These are all available in excellent used condition as well as new.

The camera on P4Pv2 and Inspire 2 with X4S are identical cameras... 1" sensor and mechanical shutter below 1/2000. Either would provide superior construction survey for Photogrammetry / Orthomasaic images for 2D / 3D and modeling. The video would be great with any of the 1" sensors on all 3 platforms, but a I2 with X5S with MFT sensor and edge to edge sharpness 12mm lens would provide more product to work with if video was more than just interest videos... which is what I normally find.

I personally use a I2 w X4S for construction images (have P4Pv2 backup), Litchi for video loop that I created prior to ground break that I repeat each session for exact consistent path to later blend in time-lapse overlay. I use the I2 w X5S or M2P for video loops. Then for progress update reports and client booklets, use the M2P to zip around and grab multiple Photos providing nice discussion & meeting shots.

Interestingly, the photos (edited & enhanced) are the most interest by Clients, local Town articles and Brief books.

The new EVO 2 Enterprise with RTK and Thermal payload options would probably be a great option to consider if point to earth was needed.

The FPV would be nice for other video creation but probably not construction. So far the FPV is more entertaining and just pure fun for my purposes.

I'll add to above... I2 is nice if in cold weather... you can run the battery heaters on batteries if needed and dual batteries provide a little extra insurance over construction sites or streets. You can also use M2P Enterprise batteries in M2P to gain the Heated Batteries too, but like P4Pv2... single battery.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax