Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

If I do not care about weight or size,(only about latency an video quality) what is the best fpv camera?

Oliver Jensen

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have quite a unique situation, I have a humongous drone drone and I do not care about weight or size, I only care about latency and video quality, what FPV camera is best for me?
also, it would be great if you could give me two answers: one answer under $100 (approximately) and a second answer under $70 (approximately) and if one of your answers does not have a Camera from RunCam, please add a third answer from RunCam.

I look forward to hearing your answers!
Thank you all so much!
Oliver

Lowest latency in video will still be an analog signal, whereas the best video quality will be DJI digital at the moment. The latency for DJI isn't bad but analog still beats it by 5-10ms at close range and DJI digital is much better quality than any analog setup. Also, DJI penatration or range is very good in aras with alot of reflections and obstacles. You'll have to chose what's more important, absolute lowest latency or absolute best quality. Whatever you chose, the remaining characteristic will be slightly behind the other technology.

The cadex Ratel is very good for analog and the DJI vista camera is still the best digital although the Cadex Nebula Pro isn't that far off. Of course if you chose a DJI digital camera, you will need to use the caddx or DJI VTX. THe dijital setup is obviously heavier than analog but most would argue that the extra weight is definitely worth the improved video.

Last edited:
Lowest latency in video will still be an analog signal, whereas the best video quality will be DJI digital at the moment. The latency for DJI isn't bad but analog still beats it by 5-10ms at close range and DJI digital is much better quality than any analog setup. Also, DJI penatration or range is very good in aras with alot of reflections and obstacles. You'll have to chose what's more important, absolute lowest latency or absolute best quality. Whatever you chose, the remaining characteristic will be slightly behind the other technology.

The cadex Ratel is very good for analog and the DJI vista camera is still the best digital although the Cadex Nebula Pro isn't that far off. Of course if you chose a DJI digital camera, you will need to use the caddx or DJI VTX. THe dijital setup is obviously heavier than analog but most would argue that the extra weight is definitely worth the improved video.
Hi thank you very much for your detailed response! The DJI goggles are out of my price range unfortunately but maybe I can use the DJI camera with other goggles, do you know if I can?

Hi thank you very much for your detailed response! The DJI goggles are out of my price range unfortunately but maybe I can use the DJI camera with other goggles, do you know if I can?
Unfortunately that won't work. Digital and analog dont swap.. BUT if you have a nice pair of analog goggles with HDMI in you could go for a sharkbyte setup

Reactions: HighTechPauper
I still fly analog on some basher quads due to the lower cost of repair although I usually reach for my DJI quads much more frequently. The thrill of FPV is great with both analog and digital so enjoy what you can within your budget. I'm not sure what goggles and receiver module you are currently using, but before you pour a ton of extra money into newer gogles or sharkbite, you may want to keep an eye on the used market for DJI. The v2 goggles are out now and the DJI FPV drone combo will be released in a couple weeks at which point you may see some decent deals on used DJI goggles. Most FPV pilots won't upgrade to v2 since there doesn't appear to be compelling reasons to do so, but people who buy the DJI FPV drone that already have DJI goggles may opt to sell the V1. I've flown sharkbite and although it is better than analog, DJI is still way better. There's no comparison. With some updates and new camera options available for sharkbite, they may narrow the gap but I think DJI will evolve much quicker given heir resources and capital.

Reactions: HighTechPauper
I still fly analog on some basher quads due to the lower cost of repair although I usually reach for my DJI quads much more frequently. The thrill of FPV is great with both analog and digital so enjoy what you can within your budget. I'm not sure what goggles and receiver module you are currently using, but before you pour a ton of extra money into newer gogles or sharkbite, you may want to keep an eye on the used market for DJI. The v2 goggles are out now and the DJI FPV drone combo will be released in a couple weeks at which point you may see some decent deals on used DJI goggles. Most FPV pilots won't upgrade to v2 since there doesn't appear to be compelling reasons to do so, but people who buy the DJI FPV drone that already have DJI goggles may opt to sell the V1. I've flown sharkbite and although it is better than analog, DJI is still way better. There's no comparison. With some updates and new camera options available for sharkbite, they may narrow the gap but I think DJI will evolve much quicker given heir resources and capital.
Thank you so much for all your advice!

And in analog which is better overall for image quality and latency out of (the better one out of the original RunCam phantom 2 and the Joshua addition) and the Cadex Ratel?

These are all great cameras. There are image adjustments, (color, saturation, brightness contrast etc.) that allow you to tune the image to your taste and flying conditions. To say that one camera is best overall is one person's opinion based on their camera adjustments. Your opinion may vary as to which is "BEST" but reality is these are great options and you should be happy with any of these. If you're looking ultimate low latency for racing, then you may want to repost this question in the racing forum but for your typical freestyle pilot the latency on any of these is more than acceptable.

These are all great cameras. There are image adjustments, (color, saturation, brightness contrast etc.) that allow you to tune the image to your taste and flying conditions. To say that one camera is best overall is one person's opinion based on their camera adjustments. Your opinion may vary as to which is "BEST" but reality is these are great options and you should be happy with any of these. If you're looking ultimate low latency for racing, then you may want to repost this question in the racing forum but for your typical freestyle pilot the latency on any of these is more than acceptable.
I understand, thank you very much!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
happypapaya