Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

If the Goggles work with the Air 2S being released on April 15th are you likely to Get one of them ?

I will sell my Air 2 and get a 2S.

As I have a Mavic 2 Pro and the FPV, (and a limited budget), I don't think I'll jump on the Air2S wagon. I can only see the 2Pro go if the Air2S has at least equal performing camera and is compatible with both the FPV system and the Mavic Smart controller. But then again, it will still cost me a bit, so I think I'll keep my money in my pocket this time. (Still want to replace the mini with the mini 2 as well... ?)

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Are you thinking about Selling the FPV to get the Air 2S or adding to the Fleet. :p

Phantomrain.org
Gear to Protect you FPV in a Crash and fly in the Rain.
Heck no. I've seen nothing special about the 2S except maybe the camera, and that's no biggie to me, and it flies just like any other Mavic, right?

What I would like to get is a little FPV drone that would run off my FPV equipment.. goggles , controller etc.

What I would like to get is a little FPV drone that would run off my FPV equipment.. goggles , controller etc.
Well start a thread on it and @droneguy or one of the others what
will tell ya. If any.

Reactions: A.O.
Heck no. I've seen nothing special about the 2S except maybe the camera, and that's no biggie to me, and it flies just like any other Mavic, right?

I think Goggles should work with any DJI Air unit or Caddx unit if I have understood the information on these boards correctly. The DJI controller of the FPV is NOT compatible with any other system, you may want to get the DJI controller that comes with the Goggles V1 for that?

I guess what you're saying is you want the Mavic Mini equivalent of the DJI FPV, right? something relatively low-cost, no fancy features and still hugely impressive for what it is. If it comes out, pen me down for one as well! DJI Mini Whoop shut up and take my money! :-D

I think Goggles should work with any DJI Air unit or Caddx unit if I have understood the information on these boards correctly. The DJI controller of the FPV is NOT compatible with any other system, you may want to get the DJI controller that comes with the Goggles V1 for that?

I guess what you're saying is you want the Mavic Mini equivalent of the DJI FPV, right? something relatively low-cost, no fancy features and still hugely impressive for what it is. If it comes out, pen me down for one as well! DJI Mini Whoop shut up and take my money! :-D
Dont want the Mavic mini type thing, but yes to the tiny whoop thing... If I can control it with my DJI stuff...

Reactions: JoostGT3
Dont want the Mavic mini type thing, but yes to the tiny whoop thing... If I can control it with my DJI stuff...
Just went through this myself. Got an iFlight Alpha A85 tinywhoop. It's a complete total blast!

You will have to buy an analog RC for the time being, I got a Jumper T-lite, $70, same gamepad form-factor as the FPV RC. Also, make sure the drone you order has an analog receiver as part of the drone WITH the Caddx Vista system.

Until a (hopefully) firmware update to the FPV system, the v2 controller doesn't work with the Vista system.

My Mini 2 is going to get a lot less air time with the A85 in my arsenal now. When I need a stabilized camera, I've got the Air 2. Isn't much I can think of the Mini brings to the table now that makes it worth keeping... probably gonna sell it.

Air 2 is the same size to carry around in its case.

Just went through this myself. Got an iFlight Alpha A85 tinywhoop. It's a complete total blast!

You will have to buy an analog RC for the time being, I got a Jumper T-lite, $70, same gamepad form-factor as the FPV RC. Also, make sure the drone you order has an analog receiver as part of the drone WITH the Caddx Vista system.

Until a (hopefully) firmware update to the FPV system, the v2 controller doesn't work with the Vista system.
So explain this to me, what all did you have to get... drone, controller, and goggles? How much is all that?

Do it right, and you're looking at about $400, Bind 'N Fly, ready to go out of the box.

Here's the page for the A85:

I messed up and ordered without an analog receiver, so I had to order a Frsky R-XSR and add it -- simple, a little soldering.

The Jumper T-lite RC is $76 at Race Day Quads:

There are a variety of other options besides the A85 with the Vista system, more and less expensive, from iFlight. Other manufacturers also offer Vista BNF quads. If you don't want to do the research, the A85 is a great little whoop.

The Caddx Nano camera isn't very good, and there's no on-board recording. I upgraded the camera to the Vista Pro, $50 from Caddx. Also DIY, swapping the camera on the Vista unit was simple plug-n-play. The image is SOOOOOO much better. The Nano gets washed out easily with bright sunlight in the frame (like with the sun showing through trees), and the image takes on an embossed effect. No problem for flying, but if you want to capture the video (through the goggles SD card) and use it for anything, that Nano camera is a bust.

A85 Review:

And remember this: EASY EASY EASY and pretty cheap to get parts and fix it if you crash. I find that I fly the A85 without any reluctance -- I've done manual with my A85 (rate mode rather than angle mode), and still haven't with my FPV yet. I have no fear with this little, cheap, fixable thing.

Last edited:
As described by rktman:
Drone w/ FRSKY receiver- $261 iFlight Alpha A85 HD Whoop w/Caddx Nebula Digital HD System
Controller - $76 Jumper T-Lite JP4-in-1 Multi Protocol Open TX 2.4GHz RC Transmitter w/ Hall Gimbals
18650 batteries - $12 for a pair
4s batteries (450mAh suggested) - around $15 each. You'll only get 5 min or so flight time each
Battery charger - say $30 (I have this one Amazon.com: HOBBYMATE Imax B6 Clone Lipo Battery Balance Charger, Rc Hobby Battery Balance Charger LED W/ AC Power Adapter: Toys & Games)

Assuming 4 4s batteries - total outlay = about $440

Last edited:
As described by rktman:
Drone w/ FRSKY receiver- $261https://www.getfpv.com/iflight-alpha-a85-hd-whoop-w-caddx-nebula-digital-hd-system.html
Controller - $76 Jumper T-Lite JP4-in-1 Multi Protocol Open TX 2.4GHz RC Transmitter w/ Hall Gimbals
18650 batteries - $12 for a pair
4s batteries (450mAh suggested) - around $15 each. You'll only get 5 min or so flight time each
Battery charger - say $30 (I have this one Amazon.com: HOBBYMATE Imax B6 Clone Lipo Battery Balance Charger, Rc Hobby Battery Balance Charger LED W/ AC Power Adapter: Toys & Games)

Assuming 4 4s batteries - total outlay = about $440
And where's the goggles?

I assumed you already have some with your DJI FPV.

Your goggles should work with the Vista unit. Your controller won't which is why the Jumper T-Lite.

The A85 is high on my list to bash around my backyard with. Really hoping the next firmware will allow the DJI remote to work with the Caddx system. Now that I have the FPV bug I see lots of hobby level crash-able/fixable drones in my future. I would just like to be able to use the DJI remote and goggles with them all.

The A85 is high on my list to bash around my backyard with. Really hoping the next firmware will allow the DJI remote to work with the Caddx system. Now that I have the FPV bug I see lots of hobby level crash-able/fixable drones in my future. I would just like to be able to use the DJI remote and goggles with them all.
Does the caddx system control both the video feed and the controller input signals? I thought those were two separate things in FPV? (Sorry for the noob question, just following this thread with great interest...)

You would need a receiver to work with your radio. If you look at the Getfpv link in post #13 you will see that for Bind-n-fly you can have either a Frsky or a Crossfire receiver preinstalled. Frsky is cheaper and you won't need to purchase an external module for Crossfire, at least in the scenario outlined.

Does the caddx system control both the video feed and the controller input signals? I thought those were two separate things in FPV? (Sorry for the noob question, just following this thread with great interest...)
The DJI compatible air units (DJI air unit and all Caddx vista versions) have a built-n VTX for the HD video transmission and also a DJI compatible radio receiver that currently only works with the Gen1 DJI Digital FPV radio. So if you are using the DJI v1 radio, you don't need an additional radio receiver in the drone for a control link. I personally wouldn't recommend the DJI v1 radio as it is very expensive and does not allow for future proofing (ie. moving to crossfire, tracer or other long range control links).

dji FPV radio v1.jpg

If you believe you will be in this hobby for a while, you will likely eventually end up on a more robust control link like crossfire. For that reason any decent OpenTX compatible radio with an expansion bay would be a better investment. There are options from $60-$200 to accommodate many different budgets. For people who already bought the DJI FPV drone, the only re-usable part at the moment is the goggles. The radio may get support for the air unit v2 as stated by DJI product engineers in the recent past, but no one really knows for sure but DJI.

I wrote an article on radio selection a while back that may provide some insight. It's one person's point of view but I tried to give perspective on what you may want to consider when going down tat path.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kylst18