Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Looking for advice on whether to buy my next drone assembled or assemble my own.

Primo23

Reaction score
I'm looking for some sound advice and recommendations please. I am heavily leaning towards building my next 250 class drone. I've been researching kits and parts but don't know whether it's a better idea to buy a kit or piece my own together. I'm looking to build something of better quality because I don't like to buy lower quality and then a week later run to et something better. So I really want to know what you consider is better. Buy a kit? What kit? Or should I piece something together? I've looked into arris and similar kits but I'm not positive their parts are of higher quality. I've also considered buying assembled and have looked into the vector immersion 250. Please give me some good advice and recos

Buy your favorite frame and go from there. I like the Lumenier ones like Skitzo and QAV-R. ImpulseRC Alien is also nice. Those all have a fairly big body and are easy to build in. There are lots of other choices as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Primo23
Primo,

After buying many ARF and RTF's, I'm with Green. Build your own. Anyone who's selling complete units or kits is trying to cut corners somewhere. Just my opinion, of course.

Jerry

Thank you I agree. I was thinking the same thing myself jerry. Just wanted to hear it from someone with more experience than me. I was hoping there was a company who sold a "top of the line" kit but I guess that doesn't happen. So far I've been looking at cobra 2204 motors and flyduino kiss esc's and control board. Along with a taranis remote. I'm trying to go 4s battery. Just trying to piece together the proper components and trying to find something a lil more affordable than the lumenier frame. Thank you again for your advice

Reactions: Jtrjr
Primo23,

Im new to this also and purchased two drones to learn on and crash/repair....but for the rainy days I was going to build a tinywhoop for inside but.......Im so impatient that I just bought the QX70 for my FlySky TX to use indoors.

But now I will have all I need for BNF soo now I will build another tiny drone using this frame...Im excited
Amazon.com: HOBBYMATE Q100 Micro FPV Brushed RC Quadcopter Frame Kit Support 8520 Coreless Motor: Toys & Games

PS...I haven't a clue to what Im doing but it sure is going to be fun.

If you want a pre-assembled and tuned quad, look at droneproz.com and grayson hobby.
Grayson hobby is pretty good. They always email me back on any questions and I bought their Grayson tuned Wizard x220....It flies great!!! It definitely flies better(tuned wise) than my from factory Falcon 250.

I actually stopped by graves rc in Florida on my way home from a visit to Disney with the family. I picked up a Martian 250 frame. Really nice frame. Now I'm gonna buy some parts and start putting this thing together. I also got a lot of help with buying an fpv mini drone to fly around the house. Def need some recos on a solid motor, esc, and flight control setup. Like I said I'm new so I need a push in the right direction because it's so hard to make a decision with all the choices out there.

we only have one small shop here in St. Petersburg FL. Wish there were more or at least a bigger one

And they tried to sell me a TX that is discontinued. Thanks to the ppl on here for helping me with that advice

Last edited:
I would...

Go cheap on the motors any 2205-2300k,
F3 or F4 based flight controller (clone)
get a PDB with an OSD (Matek HUBOSD),
a 1/3"CCD based camera,
20A or 30A ESCs (4-in-1?),
quality VTX like Tramp HV,
1300mAH 4S 45C+ battery

On the VTX, whats the difference between a 200Mw & 600Mw?

Ohhhh, I SEE. Thanks

I would...

Go cheap on the motors any 2205-2300k,
F3 or F4 based flight controller (clone)
get a PDB with an OSD (Matek HUBOSD),
a 1/3"CCD based camera,
20A or 30A ESCs (4-in-1?),
quality VTX like Tramp HV,
1300mAH 4S 45C+ battery
So far I've been thinking of going with flyduino kiss flight controller and esc's. Also got some champion series cobra motors and haven't decided on camera setup yet. Some 4s batteries also. Does that sound like a decent setup?

Any recos on brand of camera I should mount. I'm looking to get some fat shark goggles
Any brand of camera will work with the goggles as long as it fits the frame of the quad. - RunCam

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax