Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

R-xsr bind issue

Chris_A

Reaction score
I'm at my wits end trying to get my X9 lite to bind with r-xsr. I've updated OpenTX to 2.3.12. I updated the internal module to 2.1.6 and then back to 2.1.0 when I saw that what the Rx version was at. I updates ECS's, tried to update the FC but I get the "failed to open port" message. I've watched numerous videos on this topic but I guess I'm missing something. I'm extremely frustrated at this point and I'm ready to post everything in the classified section. My love affair with FPV is quickly fading so any help would be appreciated.

Edit: updated FC to 4.2.8

Last edited:
Hi @Chris_A
First off, sorry to hear you are having so many issues. Sometimes these problems prove much more complex without the benefit of years of experience troubleshooting connectivity problems. Let's see what we can do to get you back in the air and away from Craigslist. In this case, the firmware versions of the receiver and TX have to be aligned or you will never get it working. Can you post the versions numbers of the firmware you are trying to use for the receiver and the transmitter?

The Betaflight version on the FC and version of OpenTX should not be an issue in this situation. The radio transmitter and R-XSR need to be on compatible versions.

Hi @Chris_A
In this case, the firmware versions of the receiver and TX have to be aligned or you will never get it working. Can you post the versions numbers of the firmware you are trying to use for the receiver and the transmitter?
I updated the receiver to 2.1.0 as that is the most current version. I updated the internal module to Access 2.1.6 and had no luck. I saw that the versions weren't same so went back and flashed Access 2.1.0 onto the internal module so they would match, thinking that was the problem. On the transmitter side I've tried both the Access and Accst 16.
I'm going to try another update on my transmitter this afternoon when I get home from work. I noticed on the screen where you bind, one of the characters on the screen was glitchy. At the time I updated I didn't have an SD card adapter so I did the download over the USB cable. Not choice but it's all I had at the time and now I have an adapter so I'll eliminate that variable.
I'm really starting to believe It's my radio at this point. I thought I could buy a few months going budget on the radio since I was buying absolutely everything at once but that hasn't worked out so well for me. I dropped the sucker once and broke a switch and one trim tab will go one way, but not the other. If I can eliminate everything else and narrow it down to the radio I've got no problem buying another, better one. Blindly throwing money at it isn't an option I like though. Lol who am I kidding, I don't care but it's an option my WIFE doesn't like!
Thank you for your help and just to reiterate; I've read what Oscar Liang and Bardwell has posted and watched a lot of vids on the subject but I just cant seem to get this one licked.

Can you go into your radio and scroll down to the firmware page then click on [Modules / RX version]
What versions are reported? Are you in the FCC or EU zone? They obviously both have to match as well.

Both on FCC or both on EU.

1614094079942.png

You may also have the wrong mode set. Have you run the Lua script for setup? If you don't have the script on your radio, you can add it to your SDcard.

There are so many issues with mismatched firmware so the easiest way is to update everything. Here's a step by step method that will get you up to date, then we can set it up.

Depending on the firmware you may be binding ndr ACCST or ACCESS. As you already know, they obviously need to match so let's get everything on ACCESS and we can take it from there.

If you are talking about specifically flashing LBT and SBUS/FPORT firmware to the R-XSR which only applies to ACCST firmware but as you have an X9 Lite you can use (and probably should use) the ACCESS firmware on the R-XSR. ACCESS has a single firmware for all the options and you then select SBUS/FPORT within OpenTX. I would therefore switch to using ACCESS on your R-XSR with the X9 Lite.

So do the following for 2.1.0

1. Download the latest version of the ISRM firmware for the X9 Lite which is also v2.1.0 by clicking HERE.
  2. Extract the ISRM-N_2.1.0.frsk file from the ZIP file and flash it to the internal ISRM module on your X9 Lite.
  3. Download the latest version of the ACCESS firmware for the R-XSR which is v2.1.0 by clicking HERE.
  4. Extract the RXSR_ACCESS_2.1.0.frsk file from the ZIP file and flash it to the R-XSR.

I would also highly recommend that you update to the latest version of OpenTX (currently v2.3.7) if you're not already on that version so that everything is up-to-date. You can find that at the following link... Don't forget to also download the SDcard contents for that version when updating openTX.

OpenTX 2.3.7

Then bind to the R-XSR using the ACCESS registration and binding procedure found on page 2 of the manual.

Once, you are up to date following these instructions, report back and I can walk you through the setup.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris_A
It was the damndest thing, and I don't even know how but I checked everything you said to do and when I got to the OpenTX part my radio said 2.3.12 was installed. How, I dont know, since the latest version is 2.3.11. I reflashed the transmitter to 11 and was able to bind in Access. I verified stick inputs in Betaflight and feel confident everything is good to go.
I'm extremely grateful for your help. Your reply calmed me down and forced me to check and re-check every step I made, thus ensuring that the process was done properly and methodically. I know it sucks having to hold noobs hands through such a remedial task but sir, I owe you one.
Thank you.
20210223_152409.jpg20210223_152728.jpg20210223_152827.jpg

Reactions: mrmund
That's awesome! I'm glad to hear you got it going. Now that you are up to date, it should be smooth sailing!

No worries on my end, I'm more than happy to help! I'm about to launch my new website with a focus on helping new people into the hobby because I enjoy helping others get the most of the hobby. I've been flying FPV for over 6 years and a lot has changed to make things easier, but the entry point for new pilots can still be challenging when things don't work. Even now I know a lot of experienced pilots that don't have an optimal setup so I am focusing my efforts on helping people get more out of the hobby and get from a "working" drone setup to a polished setup. Too many people have just the minimum configuration to make things work on their drones and radios. With a little guidance and a little work, people can get alot more enjoyment from the hobby. Besides, even though alot has changed in 6 years for me, the rate of change moving forward will be much greater so that means people will always need help.

Reactions: mrmund and Chris_A

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax