Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Stranded motor wires.

broncosdad1317

Reaction score
So motor wires are silicone and have many little strands. So say I stripped the insulation off to run the ends and one of the tiny tiny little strands came off. Is the motor junk now or will it perform less :(. I was so careful I made sure of it :( can’t believe I did that. Am I okay or is it wrecked there’s so many strands in there I can’t believe one missing would ruin it but I guess I’m asking.

Man this build is really stressing me. Nothin but problems so far. :( broke my vtx got a new one and now I’m having trouble with how much I can bend or curl my vtx antenna cable to get to go out the back where the mount is. Also my power leads solder joints to the pdb won’t come off cuz I think my tips not wide enough and idk if I messed up the pdb with too much heat. Can they get hot I held the solder gun on there for a bit to try and get this solder off the xt60 lead where the chords come into the pdb

XT60 can take a while. Turn up the iron to really high and be sure you have some solder on the tip.
I have to tin the tip for de soldering??? Also it’s the pdb what other components are there other then the motor wire leads I unplugged everything else from the vtx and the fc and they weren’t anywhere near the pdb or do you mean components that make up the pdb itself cuz I didn’t know there was I thought it was basically a power pad to route power when plugged in to power

I hope I didn’t destroy anything. This stuffs really making me sad. I was supposed to have fun and I’m destroying things now. Shoulda left it on the old frame and been happy. Now what if I can’t put this all back together and make it work :( eieieiei

I hope I didn’t destroy anything. This stuffs really making me sad. I was supposed to have fun and I’m destroying things now. Shoulda left it on the old frame and been happy. Now what if I can’t put this all back together and make it work :( eieieiei
Hard learned lessons always stick with ya, you'll get it, we have all been there

Reactions: Wayno52
They say that pain is the touchstone of spiritual growth haha. Hang in there and don't get discouraged, even Beethoven sucked when he first tried to play the piano....But yeah, if you figure on sticking with this hobby I'd invest in a good iron with adjustable heat. I use the TS100 and it's AWESOME!

even with several strands cut, your solder wicks up into the wire (pretinning) and very little current is lost. Big pads and battery plugs can really soak up heat from your iron. the better the iron, the more constant temp at the tip.
if the temp at your iron tip is reliable, you know how to time applying heat to make a joint. if your iron tip is oxidized, you can't transfer heat fast enough to finish before everything else gets too hot (pretinning the irons tip creates that solid quick link to transfer heat)
use a bigger tip to quickly get heat into big wires... smaller tips for smaller board work.
remember when you first use an old board to practice on.. industrial solder is going to react differently so work to clear off any old solder first then practice with fresh solder
10c

Last edited:
here's some excellent advice from Bardwell. i actually like the paste but flux is crucial. I've saved many a big joint with flux and fast heat.

IMO, you still should clean with alcohol after using flux.15304823167824962938891343279095.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: theGreenOrange
one way to keep your wire from wicking solder and getting stiff up under the insulation...
  • over strip your wire (half inch stripped).
  • twist and pre-tin the exposed wire from the tip of the wire till you see the solder getting to the insulation.
  • cut short the exposed pretinned wire so that the resulting exposed tip just covers the pad its going to.
this way you have very little exposed wire and you don't overshoot the pad with the wire giving you a clean solder ball right on the pad.
plus.. the insulated wire then can bend and shape directly after the solder joint.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Notubesmaster