Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

UPDATED!! Should you give up your Mavic or current FPV for the new DJI FPV drone?

As a FPV noob, my biggest takeaways from this thread are:
1- The DJI fpv package is an easy way to get into top notch digital signal and video.
2- Correct me if Im wrong, but I think this is the only package that can be controlled with a motion controller, which in my opinion is a great option for those like me that are new to FPV.
I find it FAR easier to control with because the regular controller doesnt come naturally to me.
3- It definitely doesnt replace the drones like my Mini2 for more traditional video or photography. The fpv experience is more like a toy or sport....far more fun.

First Person View... You don't ever have to fly manual to have a full FPV experience. Manual is like being a mountain biker that has taken it to the next level and does flips on jumps, etc.

Reactions: A.O.
First Person View... You don't ever have to fly manual to have a full FPV experience. Manual is like being a mountain biker that has taken it to the next level and does flips on jumps, etc.
Yep, I've not even tried manual yet, nor do I have a big desire to do so... I just like flying like I'm sitting in the cockpit!!

i dont get why this is still being discussed?
the DJI FPV DRONE is made for the person who does not want to spend months LEARNING how to solder LEARNING what components work best with each other,
LEARNING to make frames, etc etc....
it is not made to get the hardcore enthusiast to switch (not GEN 1)
it is made for to introduce the beginer into FPV.
ALL WHILE TO EATING INTO THE OTHER DRONES DJI MAKES which is why it on has a 2 axis camera and lacks all the software features the basic mini has

i dont get why this is still being discussed?
the DJI FPV DRONE is made for the person who does not want to spend months LEARNING how to solder LEARNING what components work best with each other,
LEARNING to make frames, etc etc....
it is not made to get the hardcore enthusiast to switch (not GEN 1)
it is made for to introduce the beginer into FPV.
ALL WHILE TO EATING INTO THE OTHER DRONES DJI MAKES which is why it on has a 2 axis camera and lacks all the software features the basic mini has

This is an older thread and not really a topic of much discussion lately, but there are may people who bought the DJI FPV drone and really enjoy it as a first FPV drone. Where many people start is flying the DJI FPV in normal and Sport modes (autoleveling modes) then eventually want to fly in full manual mode then crash and then decide to get a carbon fiber framed drone at that point to have something a little more crash friendly to learn on. The good news is that you don't have to do all the things you mentioned anymore as a beginner since there are many really great Bind and Fly racing drones you can get and fly out of the box.

In fact, many first time DJI FPV pilots on here have taken this route and have really benefited from the new skills they have developed as pilots flying the racing drones. But everyone has different ambitions or use cases for which they buy their drones and some have no interest in manual modes of flight. I'm sure many of them will chime in here to give you their perspective.

Reactions: okw
One of the toughest adjustments from N/S to Manual (acro) is angle mode control response vs. rate mode.

If you have flown other FPV quads flipping the DJI to manual is not that intense.

I flew normal mode for about 10 minutes and then flipped to sport. Did that a couple of times to get the feel and see how the quad behaved.

Day 3 flipped to manual and it felt just like my old FPV quads. Only difference was my old quads were all toothpicks and the DJI is about 3 times heavier. It’s also more powerful and the range and clarity are so much better.

Bottom line, I won’t go back. I’m hooked on the DJI.

Downside for some is that you can’t really change tuning to a great extent. I was never too good at tuning so it was a good fit for me.

I am flying since 2017 "Mavics" (and similar ;) ) both DJI FPV 6 months ago ... and sold everything else (except mini 2 for flying near people ;) ) - I was thinking to learn M mode flying - but after several (rather successful attempts) find S mode good enough for my style and never switched to M again ;) - What I like in DJI FPV - wide-angle camera, Speed and maneuverability - I find myself pushing it in places never dear to go with "normal" predecessors, so, to sum up, I can cover distances fast or can go in tight places very slow and can film with Very decent quality (You can see what I do here if You like https://www.youtube.com/user/ThePesho00/videos)
The only downsides are size to caring (but I solved it with a propper bag ;) ) and some shakes on descending and circling around I can live with happily ;)
So No more "Mavics" for now (I both Air 2S after DJI FPV and sold it after 14 flights disappointed by comparison ;) )
Mi 50 cents on a subject - good article by the way!

Reactions: rktman and JoostGT3
I am flying since 2017 "Mavics" (and similar ;) ) both DJI FPV 6 months ago ... and sold everything else (except mini 2 for flying near people ;) ) - I was thinking to learn M mode flying - but after several (rather successful attempts) find S mode good enough for my style and never switched to M again ;) - What I like in DJI FPV - wide-angle camera, Speed and maneuverability - I find myself pushing it in places never dear to go with "normal" predecessors, so, to sum up, I can cover distances fast or can go in tight places very slow and can film with Very decent quality (You can see what I do here if You like https://www.youtube.com/user/ThePesho00/videos)
The only downsides are size to caring (but I solved it with a propper bag ;) ) and some shakes on descending and circling around I can live with happily ;)
So No more "Mavics" for now (I both Air 2S after DJI FPV and sold it after 14 flights disappointed by comparison ;) )
Agree with this and I only have my Mini 2 also. I am now using the motion controller exclusively so Ive never even tried manual. Sport is plenty for me.

Reactions: alex_markov
Interesting! I think I am on the completely other side. My fleet consists of a Mavic 2 Pro, A mini (1st gen) and the FPV. I loved my M2Pro, but ever since I got the FPV, the FPV has been my go-to drone whenever I felt like flying for fun. It never disappoints, only the limited flight time is a bit of a thing for me.

However, sometimes you just run into something that you want to film " old-school" style with a horizontal horizon, and that is when I am always disappointed with the FPV. It always makes me wish I brought the Mavic with me as well.

And there I get to your other point; what backpack do you use? I didn't find any yet that is both compact and lets me take the FPV plus maybe a DSLR or so with me.

Cheers,
-Joost-

Same, FPV and mini2 make the perfect combo for just about everything.

Interesting! I think I am on the completely other side. My fleet consists of a Mavic 2 Pro, A mini (1st gen) and the FPV. I loved my M2Pro, but ever since I got the FPV, the FPV has been my go-to drone whenever I felt like flying for fun. It never disappoints, only the limited flight time is a bit of a thing for me.

However, sometimes you just run into something that you want to film " old-school" style with a horizontal horizon, and that is when I am always disappointed with the FPV. It always makes me wish I brought the Mavic with me as well.

And there I get to your other point; what backpack do you use? I didn't find any yet that is both compact and lets me take the FPV plus maybe a DSLR or so with me.

Cheers,
-Joost-
If the wind is not too strong and crosswind - You have no problem with the horizon if You put some effort, but those turns, speed, and wider view are a game-changer for me ;)
After several attempts and several bend, Propp ends I both this one, and boy am I happy with it - ease to take out or in everything is tight and neat and is very comfy for a mid lawks (10-15 km's )
About M2P - I had one - great bird - But I felt growing old reaching my target ;) :) while with FPV it's almost instant ;)

Reactions: JoostGT3
5 here, although most of the time I use 4. Most I've done on one pack is 11 minutes while flying around a friend's glider...

Good info. Was going to give up my M2P for the FPV and decided against it. Thank you for the review

Interesting! I think I am on the completely other side. My fleet consists of a Mavic 2 Pro, A mini (1st gen) and the FPV.
Joost, Joost, Joost... It's a Wing or a Sqaudron, not a fleet :cool:

Reactions: JoostGT3
Same, FPV and mini2 make the perfect combo for just about everything.
Well, little bit different opinion... My squadron now consists of the FPV, Mini 2, and just upgraded Air 2 to 2S (still have the MA2 aircraft).

I would say the FPV and Air 2S is the sweet spot. There are a lot of features missing from the Mini(2) that the Air 2S covers, as well as the much superior camera.

While I don't use tracking features often, I do use them occasionally, and at those times it's a showstopper.

Also, loving Mastershots!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
darshan rajput