Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Goggles gone bad

That it happens just by having light leak into the screen while being worn.
Yes, apparently they had their backs to the sun and had heads that were narrow and allowed enough direct sun in to do it. They have some aftermarket face foams now that fit more head sizes better, but in the very beginning when the rev 1's came out many had issues with light leak due to poor fit for some peoples heads.

Well I'm a different guy, but sincerely curious HOW.

Not saying you're blowing smoke – I believe you.

The reason this happens is due to a magnifying glass effect by the lenses, focusing the intense sunlight to a point, burning elements in the screen.

I can't imagine a way for this to happen wearing them. The angles don't work.

I don't remember when they were exposed in a manner to cause this damage, but I don't remember a lot of what was going on around me when flying, my attention is usually focused on something.

It could have an entirely different explanation.

Well I'm a different guy, but sincerely curious HOW.

Not saying you're blowing smoke – I believe you.

The reason this happens is due to a magnifying glass effect by the lenses, focusing the intense sunlight to a point, burning elements in the screen.

I can't imagine a way for this to happen wearing them. The angles don't work.

I don't remember when they were exposed in a manner to cause this damage, but I don't remember a lot of what was going on around me when flying, my attention is usually focused on something.

It could have an entirely different explanation.
I can only tell you what I read on the Rotor Riot, FliteTest, and RaceDayQuads Facebook pages way back in the day when the rev 1 goggles and air units came out, I don't have any direct knowledge of it happening, just passing on what I read last year. Either way, I have never heard of screens being damaged in this way (whether DJI, Fatshark, Skyzones, Orqa or any other manufacturer) from anything other than sunlight being magnified onto the panels by the lenses.

Reactions: dirkclod
DOH! My mistake, I thought this had happened to you :)

The engineer in me wanted to understand this situation...

DOH! My mistake, I thought this had happened to you :)

The engineer in me wanted to understand this situation...

FWIW DJI has always been pretty decent to me. I'd contact them, not "lie" but play a little dumb and see if they'll replace them for you. You have nothing to lose.

Great News! DJI is repairing them at no cost, should be done and back in my hands early next week.

I purchased Care Refresh (Plus? the two-year option) with the FPV, but didn't try to get these fixed on that plan because as far as I can determine, only the aircraft and gimbal are covered.

I wonder if the goggles are covered too as part of the combo with Refresh? In any case, DJI has done me a solid on this one, and I'm very grateful.

Great News! DJI is repairing them at no cost, should be done and back in my hands early next week.

I purchased Care Refresh (Plus? the two-year option) with the FPV, but didn't try to get these fixed on that plan because as far as I can determine, only the aircraft and gimbal are covered.

I wonder if the goggles are covered too as part of the combo with Refresh? In any case, DJI has done me a solid on this one, and I'm very grateful.
Woot Woot... glad to hear it..

I thought they might. They aren't nearly as bad as many make out they are. Now go forth and sin no more! I'd get an inner cover for your goggles to prevent this from happening again.

Example: Amazon.com: (FBA) DJI FPV Goggles V2 Lenses Protection Cover DJI FPV Drone Accessories 3-in-1 Dust Proof and Light Proof Storage Mat for DJI FPV Combo Antenna and Memory Card Storage: Toys & Games

Goggles repaired and shipped! Really happy with DJI on this one. Excellent customer service, care, feel like my money was well spent on the drone combo and care refresh. One week turnaround.

The contract reads as if only the aircraft and gimbal are covered. DJI fixed them at no cost to me anyway, and it was my fault.

Great job, DJI!

Same thig happened to me and not sure how it got damaged. Just sent the goggles to DJI hope they will repair them. I just bought the FPV combo in May.

My goggles never got damaged, was just speculation. Would want to open them, check part numbers and see if it matches one of those kits.

My goggles never got damaged, was just speculation. Would want to open them, check part numbers and see if it matches one of those kits.
Thanks for your quick reply.
I may have chance to get a 2nd-hand Goggles v2 with a relatively low price since there is a green/yellow mark on one eye lcd screen.
That's why I am looking any way to fix it...^_^

That’s ridiculous.

There were 2 green dots on my goggles after 2 weeks of ownership. Never exposed under the sun and always kept in my camera backpack after use. After contacting DJI they just issued a replacement combo without any pushback after seeing my photo of the 2 green dots. Already sent mine in and got approved for replacement. Just waiting for the new one to be shipped.
hi, same here, I had them for 3 - 4 months, and only one of the screens got the green spots, I made a claim on DJI service and they replaced (or fixed) them, at no cost to me, the where still under warranty. One thing is, care refresh does not cover goggles, remote or batteries, only the aircraft.

Remember to remove the strap, antennas, padded foam and memory card before sending them in. I forgot about the memory card, wrote to customer support about it, and they did return it to me with the replacement goggles, but its better to be on the safe side.

I really didn't knew what had happened to them to get that spot. Now I know and will pay attention not to leave them exposed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
happypapaya