Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

I need a small dispensable/reparable fpv to practice close flying so I can get skilled with my DJI FPV

Just saw this discussion.

John, forget building a DIY FPV quad so you can have less anxiety about crashing/smashing/bashing.

Instead, get to know the Brake button on the RC. Practice it. Fly around in N and S modes and get instinctual about it.

Then give it some attention goofing around in Manual. This is an amazing feature that WILL save your butt in an instant when you lose control.

I have come to the same conclusion. Except the Manual part. The Avata is incredibly stable on sport mode, no wobble like the FPV. I have tried manual mode, but it would take a long, long time to get it to be very stable, say keeping the horizon steady.

Edit
So my big question and call for help what is, what the best way of getting the footage of the FPV very smooth with the horizon steady without years of practice in manual mode? Please? My inclination is sticking a GoPro on it.

You cannot have the horizon steady with the FPV even in manual, the best you can do is enable roll stabilization but it'll only do a little unlike on the Avata.

Those shots are what basically all other DJI drones are made for, the FPV was precisely for the other kind of shooting where the "dynamics of flying" aspect is desired.

Reactions: okw
You cannot have the horizon steady with the FPV even in manual, the best you can do is enable roll stabilization but it'll only do a little unlike on the Avata.

Those shots are what basically all other DJI drones are made for, the FPV was precisely for the other kind of shooting where the "dynamics of flying" aspect is desired.
I get it, the rolls, tricks and banking can be very dramatic. But some cinematic flyers attempt to fly with stability. They do not like the wobble as I don't.

But some cinematic flyers attempt to fly with stability.
Yeah, but then they use drones made for that :)
The whole point of the FPV was to do what none of the others could, as a result it's not doing what those do as well, if you want to do the "standard" flying maybe it wasn't the best choice :)

Last edited:
To amplify, smooth video is what 3-axis gimbals are for. Digital stabilization can do an amazing job, but at the sacrifice of throwing out a lot of picture information, and actual resolution of the image. I'm eager for Avata Gen 2 with a 1/1.3 48MP sensor (true 48MP bayer, not quad).

3-axis gimbal would be savaged by the full flight dynamics of FPV flight.

At last I am able to fly the powerful DJI Fpv with no wobble and get very stable video. So a huge shout out to Captain Drone for the settings that help you fly very stable. DJI FPV Drone Best Camera Settings for Cinematic Footage

Edit
This was pushing the FPV to its limits with stability, using Captain Drones settings. If you take your time you can easily have a level horizon and zero wobble.
2nd Edit

First place was Alkimos beach, then Ocean Reef Harbour, Western Australia.

Last edited:
Compliments to that captain guy for his advice, helpful if you want to use a DJI FPV like a Mini 2 or any camera drone.

It's awfully misplaced. The primary reason he gets smooth, level video is because he flies with a straight jacket, which he repeatedly emphasizes. Exceed that delicate stick control, and you'll ruin that smooth level footage. Limited roll compensation is not anything near HorizonSteady in the Avata, nor the stability of a 3-axis gimbal.

I think rktman that there are different types of flyers. Some want to race some to do amazing tricks and freestyle. Some want to use the speed and power to create cinematic content. Even within the cinematic group, flyers they want to bank hard to create a speed effect. But there are others that want stable rock-solid, content, where the horizon holds, generally, steady with power and speed. I am of the latter, but do whatever gets your juices going.
Each to their own, enjoy your flying whatever kind you do.

I understand, I just think the DJI FPV is an exceedingly bad choice for what you're trying to do.

The Avata, with Horizon Steady is a far better choice, by leaps and bounds. HS gives it the chops to produce cinematic footage. With the FPV, you have to basically NOT fly it, but tippy-toe around and be careful not to wreck you footage. Exceed 10° roll, and your screwed. That's very constrained, especially if your using an FPV because you want more exciting footage.

In my opinion (and that's what these discussions are about, our opinions) doing this a lot will establish bad habits flying that will become reflexive.

I agree, to each his own.

Reactions: okw and Kilrah

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larcas