Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

My HDZero SharkByte Journey! To the mountains?

GiantAntCowboy

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Figured I'd share this here as some of you may be curious about SharkByte, and interested in this project/testing.

Summary:
I recently purchased an HDZero SharkByte system with the ultimate goal of creating a digital FPV Mid-Long Range Mountain Surfing quad. (As an alternative to DJI which isn't a great option for everyone...)

I'll be making a series of videos documenting my thoughts, goals, tests, and hopefully some successes... I figured a dedicated thread would be cleaner and more useful than a bunch of random videos posts.

To start things off here's "Part I: Initial Impressions and Goals"

If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions about the setup, or even the video/content, please let me know. Open discussion is super productive and useful to everyone learning about this "new" digital system, especially as it continues to evolve.

Hope this is helpful, or at least entertaining to some of you... Planning to have "PartII: Testing New Antennas" finalized this week.

Cheers!
-Pete

Here's PartII: "Range and Penetration Tests" hot off the editing desk... We got some amazing results out of this system now, and I'm super excited to see how far we can push it next time! I'm currently building a new 7" drone for that purpose (needed a good excuse to build one...)

Let me know what you all think!

Thoughts, feedback and criticism is always welcome, cheers!
-Pete

Reactions: okw
Part III “Analog vs HDZero Camera Comparisons”

I wanted to do a true side-by-side comparison of the systems and cameras but don’t have the proper equipment… but I did managed to fly some pretty identical flight paths and I think it provides a good sense of each camera/system.

(Note: the browser window is low resolution, click the YouTube button in the window if you’re actually curious about the image quality comparisons)

Questions, comments, suggestions and thoughts always welcome. Cheers!

The series continues, crazy quad helical antenna testing, new records, and a stressful return trip!

Ok, I finally have a proper HDZERO Mountain Surfing quad! 7" iFlight Chimera Frame, 2807 Motors, and a 1W HDZero VTX!

Here's the build video, which is mostly a reference for anyone building one, but I'll be posting some actual testing and flight videos soon, excited to share the results!

Pretty excited about this quad, now we just need some decent weather here!

Well, I finally did a bit of proper mountain surfing with the HDZero system!

Here's my latest episode which focuses on the new 1W Freestyle VTX, and some neat range and penetration tests.

HDZero 1 Watt Freestyle VTX Review - Digital FPV System Range and Penetration Testing

Very cool to see this system growing and improving!

Last edited:
I’ve been busy and haven’t updated in a while, here’s a fun range test video showing How Cheap and Easy long-range antennas can be!

If you have any questions let me know, happy to help, cheers!

Here’s some great DVR highlights from the past year of testing:

Let me know what you think, cheers!

Reactions: okw

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax