Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

New to Drone Racing

rDp

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!
I've been a DJI Phantom Pilot (P2A & P4) since 2015 and have learned to really enjoy drone flying. I am now looking for a challenge and drone racing has an appeal. Yesterday, I purchased a RISE Vusion Extreme FPV 250 Race Pack and hope to find out about the sport with this beginners package. If this site is as informative as the Phantom Drone Pilots site I'm in great company.

If you would like to share some of your experiences and insights on the sport with this novice, please feel free to share with me. I am open to educational tips, suggestions, criticism and having a great time.

Reactions: dirkclod
Welcome to DRP rDp :)

Welcome rDp! P2V+, 2 P3P's, Mavic Pro and a 3dr Solo here. Three FPV Racers so far. I've been getting into this FPV Racing stuff for a month or two now for the same reason as you. I love my Phantoms but wanted a bit more excitement, so here I am. And excitement there is, it's a whole different experience than what we've become accustomed to with our heavily assisted birds. In this realm, there ain't no letting off the sticks! Pretty much fly or die! Lot's of beginner stuff going on here with many beginners and a few seasoned salts, all good folks. I haven't heard a coarse word yet, only words of encouragement and support. A much smaller group here then at the PP site but new folks dropping in every day. I'd suggest that you pour through all of the threads thus far to get a bearing on what's going on here. From there, just jump right in!

Welcome again,

Jerry

Reactions: dro-gon
Welcome rDp! I am a rookie myself but I can tell you that this is a great site full of great people. As a matter of fact Jerry in the above post solved a problem for me earlier tonight, took him about 60 seconds. Anyway, have a look around its a great site.

Reactions: Jtrjr
Welcome rDp! P2V+, 2 P3P's, Mavic Pro and a 3dr Solo here. Three FPV Racers so far. I've been getting into this FPV Racing stuff for a month or two now for the same reason as you. I love my Phantoms but wanted a bit more excitement, so here I am. And excitement there is, it's a whole different experience than what we've become accustomed to with our heavily assisted birds. In this realm, there ain't no letting off the sticks! Pretty much fly or die! Lot's of beginner stuff going on here with many beginners and a few seasoned salts, all good folks. I haven't heard a coarse word yet, only words of encouragement and support. A much smaller group here then at the PP site but new folks dropping in every day. I'd suggest that you pour through all of the threads thus far to get a bearing on what's going on here. From there, just jump right in!

Welcome again,

Jerry
Thanks Jerry! I saw the pictures you posted of your drones and cases. You and I have a lot in common. I bought m P2V when they were discontinued for half price. I did it to see if I would like flying. Before I knew it I had all the accessories, batteries, ... , etc. This summer I bough my P4. What a difference. And again, I had all the accessories, batteries, ... , etc. Now I'm trying racing drones. I'm also retired and we have a lot in common. You are what I am becoming. I look forward to future exchanges.

Welcome rDp! I am a rookie myself but I can tell you that this is a great site full of great people. As a matter of fact Jerry in the above post solved a problem for me earlier tonight, took him about 60 seconds. Anyway, have a look around its a great site.
Thanks Merdok! I've looked around and at this point it raises more questions than answers. But that is a good thing. I've got to learn and how better than an experienced peer group. I'm looking forward to the journey.

Hey rDp, I got a Rise Vusion 250 pack also and I love flying the thing. Got it from Tower and applied the instant discount that brought it down to $304, seemed like a good price on the package so I grabbed one and do not regret it. Happy FPV'ing!

New guy here to fpv drones but also got the rise 250 and two rise indoor racers.
Three weeks in I'm hooked. Looking forward to discussion with yall.

Considering a dominator set so I can see better and a DX9 transmitter replacement... needs throttle hold I think to get me through a power roll. It's certainly different to fly from my years of planes and then hellis.

Quick question... is there any known issue with spectrum and quad fpv drones.
I saw a racer on YouTube discouraging spectrum use. I like the DX9 .. had a Dx6
Thanks and regards
JJ

Futura,

Welcome! I wish I could help you out but I started out with a Radiolink and moved on to the Taranis X9D Plus. I'm sure the Spectrum guys will chime in and give you some insight.

Jerry

Well I can report a bit now. The rise transmitter is weak. 300" without obstacles.. 200- with any obstruction (120" - antennas on w/my body in the way till first warning) . Same control range with the 125 house racer and this TX. With the house racer (125) that's when the vtx (25mw) fails so fine... but the 250 vtx (200mw) will go further than the 2.4ghz tx signal. !!!

I have since upgraded goggles to the fatshark v3 (get ready for a different perspective) and a taranis x9d pro se.. I have a custom flynocerous cerberus mini BNF arriving Tuesday. I also got the spectrum module on the way that should bind up with these rise rx ...with a few channel/stick swaps. I'll be sad to lose the HD camera (yes there are mods possible) but I need a ground station anyway.
Rise got me hooked but I've quickly wanted better ... buying twice yes, but what a ball. I'm still burning several batteries a day with the rise equipment till the new bits all arrive. I just severally limit my air space... for now. The 250 will get an external receiver that should fix it.
As an aside. Its really nice to have the extra rise viewers to lure my neighbors into getting into the fun.

Reactions: HighTechPauper
Hello Everyone, im also new here.
I got the Rise Vusion 250 and been flying it for over a month but still don't have the guts to fly FPV, I tried the goggles and didn't seem that cool.
Although im loving the Vusion 250 I already burned 3 motors at mid flight, out of nothing they burst into flames. Im guessing its maybe the flight control board but the truth is im clueless. Can anyone throw any lights on this?

thanks!

I have never had anything like that occur, since the electronics all come as one package for $40, you may want order one along with a set of replacement arms. I have done a bit of crashing myself, but I have enough parts that I can rebuild as needed and backfill or rebuild the parts that broke, it's a part of the hobby that we will crash as we fly and improve. I know I will eventually get and build a better quad but this is great for learning at a reasonable cost.

Reactions: Juanedfalcu
Thanks for the words HiTechPauper.
I bought a bunch of replacements with the drone for I knew I would be crashing a lot, but still there's got to be a reason why they keep burning... every time the flames start when I've been flying for over 20 minutes, maybe I should give it a rest between batteries, maybe the control board heats up and misses with the signals.
I don't know really... a lot of maybes.

Jaun,

I assume you're using Betaflight? If so, you may need to check your filters and PID's. Check out this video by the late, great, JC (Project Blue Falcon) and see if it helps.

Jerry

Hello Everyone, im also new here.
I got the Rise Vusion 250 and been flying it for over a month but still don't have the guts to fly FPV, I tried the goggles and didn't seem that cool.
Although im loving the Vusion 250 I already burned 3 motors at mid flight, out of nothing they burst into flames. Im guessing its maybe the flight control board but the truth is im clueless. Can anyone throw any lights on this?

thanks!
Check you motor screws! If they are too long they can burn the motors.

Reactions: theGreenOrange

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax